Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
theres usually an option to enable removing old kernels after installing new ones so you keep N and N-1 but nothing older. why its not enabled by default i do not know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

this should do the trick:
code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=$(mount | grep ' / ' | awk '{ print $1 }') bs=4M

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

outhole surfer posted:

this should do the trick:
code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=$(mount | grep ' / ' | awk '{ print $1 }') bs=4M

remove linux and install windows so i wouldn't have this problem, good idea

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I've installed Linux three times today, and it's only noon!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I believe I’ve figured out that Bazzite gnome is only crashing on screen blank if you leave a steam window up. been testing all day via opening a window for something and then walking away and checking it out later. only time it seems to crash is if steam is on screen.

very strange!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

rotate your monitor

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
dear OPs,

today, I used a Linux. it was fine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:waycool:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

For a build server, just get more RAM and build in tmpfs. A single nvme ssd is also more than fast enough.

Yep, that is the plan!

I found a 750W power supply in a Sonnet external GPU chassis, chopped off the 12V GPU power connectors and soldered on an EPS12V. Post-apocalyptic garbage server!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

is there actually a script that does that automatically? i tried to do that manually by removing the unused kernels, purging the packages and then reinstalling and that didn't fix anything before

assuming rpm or deb based

apt-get autoremove

or

dnf autoremove

should do the trick. for other package systems ddg for removing orphaned packages

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I believe I’ve figured out that Bazzite gnome is only crashing on screen blank if you leave a steam window up. been testing all day via opening a window for something and then walking away and checking it out later. only time it seems to crash is if steam is on screen.

very strange!

you can take a look at /var/log/syslog (or use the gnome “logs” app) to see if there’s anything interesting at the time of the crash. probably save a lot of ball-ache by switching to a more mainstream distro like debian/*buntu/fedora though and just installing the james stuff from there. from what I can see, despite the claim of “desktop, htpc, handheld” for bazzite it’s primarily targeted at those handhelds*

*I’ve been hovering over buying a steam dock OLED but holy gently caress they are expensive here

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

very strange!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

very strange!

Steam does some wacky stuff on Linux with screensaver/screen lock, not quite the same issue but might be worth looking into: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/vhat0n/steam_can_cause_your_monitor_to_never_turn_off_by/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Yep, that is the plan!

I found a 750W power supply in a Sonnet external GPU chassis, chopped off the 12V GPU power connectors and soldered on an EPS12V. Post-apocalyptic garbage server!

you've got me real curious about what case that is

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Silverstone SG02-F circa 2018.

It's a micro-atx case, so not exactly small like mini itx. I bolted it to a Vietnam-era external frame backpack and powered it with an ebike battery. It had an 8 TB nvme array inside, for when you need wearable computing with fast i/o.

e: hope you like big pics because I can't figure out how to thumbnail SA attachments

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Looks like you're gonna start hunting ghosts

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The Proof Is in the Building

Default config, fresh build for Aruba AP-303H + LuCI, including toolchain.
code:
ryan@alice:~/openwrt$ time make -j20 world
real	32m11.399s
user	279m36.824s
sys	27m38.791s
307 cpu-minutes / 32.3 real minutes = 9.5 utilization factor.

That's way higher than I expected! Watching the build in top, it sure seemed to spend a lot of time running a single make or bash process (occasionally perl). Maybe the compiles were fleeting enough I didn't see them in top -d 2 ? Anyway, 32 mins is fast!

After that first build, I make a small change in my router's device tree file, and rebuilt. Ccache is on (compiler caching).
code:
real	3m21.803s
user	5m52.515s
sys	1m48.072s
Utilization drops to a disappointing 2.3, which is expected, I guess. Still, 3 minutes is good.

This is a 10-core Skylake Xeon with 24 GB of DDR4 across 6 channels. With hyperthreading, it could maybe hit 12-15x single threaded with an ideal workload. So 9.5 really does seem high. Great if true, though.

This server is also nearly silent. The CPU is a lower-power Xeon variant with a 85W TDP. Keeping power down was important for the backpack computer, but not just because of runtime. We also needed to keep the heatsink small for shock resistance.

I'm really happy with this little machine.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
honestly i think the modern 'mini pc' cases are ugly bricks. i guess i just have memories of the cute ugly shuttle cases with green translucent plastic filled with northwood p4's at 97 celsius. so much smaller

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I always wanted one of those cool looking computers but we always got the beige box

honestly if I could find an old beige box that would fit a modern PSU and GPU I’d buy it for my server

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

ryanrs posted:

This is a 10-core Skylake Xeon with 24 GB of DDR4 across 6 channels. With hyperthreading, it could maybe hit 12-15x single threaded with an ideal workload. So 9.5 really does seem high. Great if true, though.

this with or without mitigations=off on the kernel command line?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

On, probably? Do they make a big difference?

e:
code:
[    0.090391] Spectre V1 : Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
[    0.090393] Spectre V2 : Mitigation: IBRS
[    0.090394] Spectre V2 : Spectre v2 / SpectreRSB mitigation: Filling RSB on context switch
[    0.090395] Spectre V2 : Spectre v2 / SpectreRSB : Filling RSB on VMEXIT
[    0.090396] RETBleed: Mitigation: IBRS
[    0.090398] Spectre V2 : mitigation: Enabling conditional Indirect Branch Prediction Barrier
[    0.090400] Spectre V2 : User space: Mitigation: STIBP via prctl
[    0.090401] Speculative Store Bypass: Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl
[    0.090414] MDS: Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers
[    0.090416] TAA: Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers
[    0.090417] MMIO Stale Data: Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers
[    0.090430] GDS: Mitigation: Microcode

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 28, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That totally depends on your workload, but it's worth trying on boxen that don't have users run code.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

users can go buy their own computers

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ryanrs posted:

This server is also nearly silent. The CPU is a lower-power Xeon variant with a 85W TDP. Keeping power down was important for the backpack computer, but not just because of runtime. We also needed to keep the heatsink small for shock resistance.

I'm really happy with this little machine.

what on earth is this backpack computer even for

skylake was from intel's 14nm malaise era and has not aged well, if you can scrounge up literally almost anything from just a few years later (2020 onwards is probably good) it'll be way better. preferably amd, for energy efficiency

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It reminds me of those ground penetrating radar rigs the geophysicists cobbled together. They needed processing power in the field and everything else was too expensive/wimpy/proprietary.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
is the machine running fedora or just the user

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think it's neat

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Well Played Mauer posted:

is the machine running fedora or just the user

lol

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

BobHoward posted:

what on earth is this backpack computer even for

skylake was from intel's 14nm malaise era and has not aged well, if you can scrounge up literally almost anything from just a few years later (2020 onwards is probably good) it'll be way better. preferably amd, for energy efficiency

It was for capturing raw video from 8 machine vision cameras. Later we would post-process the data to create a 3D light field. Now it builds my router firmware.

This is definitely the fastest, newest computer I have. I don't think anything else in storage will be functional, or even tolerable from a noise/size standpoint. I'm not going to run some 2U screamer in my condo.

TBH the only reason this server hadn't been salvaged before is I needed to convert it back to AC power.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

fresh_cheese posted:

theres usually an option to enable removing old kernels after installing new ones so you keep N and N-1 but nothing older. why its not enabled by default i do not know.

turns out it wasnt LUKS and it actually seems like a driver issue!

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

That totally depends on your workload, but it's worth trying on boxen that don't have users run code.

yeah let's see those same build timings but with mitigations=off

find out how much CPU speed intel stole from us with their insecure chip designs and/or how efficient and optimized the kernel developers were able to make the mitigations, like presumably compiling kernels is the top workload that kernel developers optimize the poo poo out of

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

While all this Intel CPU chat is interesting, while I was poking around my router's device tree I saw this on the i2c bus:
code:
power-monitor@40 {
	/* No driver */
	compatible = "isl,isl28022";
	reg = <0x40>;
};
It's a Renesas ISL28022 power monitor. It's measuring USB power, or downstream PoE power, or possibly total PoE power.

I think I should throw together a quick userspace driver to see exactly what this chip is doing. I see that someone else has done work on a Linux driver for the ISL28022, but I don't know what happened to that project.

e: i2cdetect can't see either of the two chips that are supposed to be on that bus. Hmm.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 28, 2024

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I just installed Fedora 40. I am using KDE because beef convinced me it is the best de ever. Seems fine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I upgraded my laptop to a Lenovo Legion 7i with a 14900HX and a 4070 and swapped the NVME from my old laptop to the new one. Linux boots fine, everything works (including sound!), and Nouveau needs suiting.
Windows didn't have a blue screen, but I should have wiped it and reformatted it instead of uninstalling all the old drivers/vendor programs. I'm honestly surprised Windows didn't poo poo the bed.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I can't get I2C working on my router, even after switching the pin definitions around and upping the drive strength. Hmm, what could it be?

I think the next step is to disable I2C entirely, configure the pins as normal GPIO, and see if I can talk to any periphs with bit-banging.

e:
code:
root@OpenWrt:/# i2cdetect -l
i2c-2   i2c             i2c-gpio                                I2C adapter
root@OpenWrt:/# i2cdetect -ya 2
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:                         -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 29 -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 3f 
40: 40 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                         
Not sure if 0x3f is another ISL28022, or a ghost of the real device at 0x40. I suspect ghost... but not sure how.

e2: ghost explained

quote:

Broadcast Addressing
The DPM has a feature that allows the user to configure the settings
of all DPM chips at once. For example, a system has 16 DPM chips
connected to an I2C bus. A user can set the range or initiate a
data acquisition in one I2C data transaction by using a slave
address of 0111 111 = 0x3f.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 29, 2024

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

i don't have any backups because none of my data is important

This

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

turns out it wasnt LUKS and it actually seems like a driver issue!

bummer. guess its bugzilla/launchpad/jira time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I lied. Nouveau is still awful.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

I lied. Nouveau is still awful.

https://mastodon.gamedev.place/@gfxstrand/112260156959383320

quote:

I keep oscillating between pride and terror looking at this /usr/lib64/libvulkan_nouveau.so that Fedora 40 put there by default.

On the one hand, I'm really happy to see it ship. On the other hand, I know that's from Mesa 24.0 which is super old at this point and that thing's not gonna work...

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
For those not memorising release dates, the super old Mesa 24.0 was released on the 14th of February this year.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Athas posted:

For those not memorising release dates, the super old Mesa 24.0 was released on the 14th of February this year.

nvk is bleeding-edge and under extremely rapid development, so that is basically ancient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well if the experimental label was removed and it ships with mesa by default then it should have some baseline functionality, surely? i seem to recall that it got certified as vulkan 1.0 compliant at least

maybe it could have used another few months in the oven though, the videos of nvk running some fairly modern games via dxvk with decent framerates are still fairly new.

anyway hopefully a good version makes it into freedesktop sdk 2024.08. not that i care though since i don't use nvidia hardware.