Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Got my wifi router's power monitor chip up and running on i2c-gpio!

Once I get native i2c working, I'll crank up the sample rate to 1 kHz. I should be able to see the power signatures of short duration events like web page loads and client associations. It can also do long-term monitoring for making cool-looking (tho marginally useful) graphs.

I wonder if any of the RGB casemod nerds have gotten i2c dma working on qualcomm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

vulkan 1.0 was also released in february ... february 2016

looks like vulkan is up to version, uh, 1.3.283? what exactly are they doing over there

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I2C fixed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:nice: great job!!!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The next big question is do I take this ISL28022 driver in progress and finish it off, and try to get it merged into hwmon? This would go into the mainline Linux kernel, not just OpenWrt.

What's the open source etiquette re. taking someone's 98% finished work, and doing the final polishing to get it merged?

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 30, 2024

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Generally you reach out to the person and ask if you can take over the work. When you submit it upstream mention them in the commit message as well.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Dear Sir, I am writing to you from the non-shitposting(?) linux thread in the OS poo poo-posting subforum of the dead comedy website SomethingAwful.com. I would like to touch your source code.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ryanrs posted:

Dear Sir, I am writing to you from the non-shitposting(?) linux thread in the OS poo poo-posting subforum of the dead comedy website SomethingAwful.com. I would like to touch your source code.

your source repository is a piece of poo poo

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

spankmeister posted:

every source repository is a piece of poo poo

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
plz don’t touch my source, it’ll trigger a full rebuild :(

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

To Whom It May Concern,

Greetings from the Linux non-shitposting thread in the OS shitposting forum of the dead and buried comedy site Something Awful. I see you have almost finished your ISL28022 driver, [borat voice] very nice! However, it is not finished, which is not so nice. I will finish it for you [broat voice] i like!

P.S. I will credit you

Sincerely,

ryanrs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

The next big question is do I take this ISL28022 driver in progress and finish it off, and try to get it merged into hwmon? This would go into the mainline Linux kernel, not just OpenWrt.

What's the open source etiquette re. taking someone's 98% finished work, and doing the final polishing to get it merged?

actually looks like a few people worked on it (unless those are reviewers?). i wouldn't worry about it, just credit where due

e: ah yeah they are reviews. idk. just email the guy and ask, i mean, it is a mailing list lol

e2: lol it looks like he made his personal site in openoffice or something

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 1, 2024

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

To Whom It May Concern,

Greetings from the Linux non-shitposting thread in the OS shitposting forum of the dead and buried comedy site Something Awful. I see you have almost finished your ISL28022 driver, [borat voice] very nice! However, it is not finished, which is not so nice. I will finish it for you [broat voice] i like!

P.S. I will credit you

Sincerely,

ryanrs

To Whom it May Concern,

All your source code are belong to us.
You have no chance of mainline merging make your time.
For great compiling.

P.S: YOSPOS BITCH!!!

Sincerely:
Ryanrs

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 1, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

Greetings from the Linux non-shitposting thread

this part is getting increasingly implausible

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What is a good online tool for charting a long time series, like 100k+ points? I want to be able to pan/scroll around the zoomed out view, then zoom in tight to see the power spikes from individual wifi packet transmissions.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Power signature of an ssh login (over wired ethernet, radios disabled). This is from CPU use during crypto authentication.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I wonder if the resolution is good enough to do side channel analysis

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

1 mA resolution at 2 kHz.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ryanrs posted:

1 mA resolution at 2 kHz.

probably not then, but interesting nonetheless

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

fresh_cheese posted:

bummer. guess its bugzilla/launchpad/jira time

i fixed it, turns out LUKS was working fine, but boot was failing somewhere because i didn’t have linux-modules-extra installed for the latest kernel

annoyingly without it I couldn’t get networking so i installed an old kernel from liveusb, then used that to install all the missing packages

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

oh no blimp issue posted:

i fixed it, turns out LUKS was working fine, but boot was failing somewhere because i didn’t have linux-modules-extra installed for the latest kernel

annoyingly without it I couldn’t get networking so i installed an old kernel from liveusb, then used that to install all the missing packages

rescue media FTW

good save!

YOSPOS BTICH

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My OpenWrt router has a lot of gpio lines that are not being used properly, or even initialized. What is the proper, correct, current Linux way of handling gpios that do things. Not uncommitted user gpios, but real concrete stuff like resetting the bluetooth radio, or enabling downstream PoE, or knowing whether you're connected to AC power or not.

For example, I want to implement this logic at boot time:

enable_pse = (is_ac_power || is_8023at);

i.e. don't turn on downstream PoE if you're on a low-power 802.3af upstream port. I can do this by poking sysfs gpio with a shell script, but (1) that's really late in the boot process, (2) sysfs gpio is deprecated. And of course the user is allowed to turn downstream PoE on and off, so maybe there are persistent settings in uci or something.

Am I really supposed to write a little kernel driver to turn downstream PoE on and off? Is this supposed to be a "platform driver" or what?

I am not looking for a hack solution. What is Best Practice for this kind of GPIO usage in 2024, for something I might want to get merged upstream?

e: this would be for kernel 6.6

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 2, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I wonder if the resolution is good enough to do side channel analysis

wasn't that how they found the hack in xz utils

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tunicate posted:

I think they were just measuring how much time certain operations took, and the xz stuff took a lot more time than it usually does.

Measuring power is a different beast but I bet it could achieve similar results especially if people use aggressive cpu frequency changes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ryanrs posted:

What is Best Practice for this kind of GPIO usage in 2024, for something I might want to get merged upstream?

pretty sure I saw a lot of commercial code just run cron jobs that check gpio pins over bash and take appropriate action so anything else would be better

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ugh, searching for this stuff is super annoying because you get five paragraphs in before you realize you're reading obsolete poo poo from 1999.

I don't want to write a driver for this, but gpio-hog in the device tree is not enough.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Anyways, taking all of this seriously...

I don't have a lot of GPIO experience beyond just raspberry pi. But I'm looking at the stuff in the kernel documentation:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/gpio/gpio.txt

Assuming that the gpio hardware:
  • is capable of using interrupts during state changes to eliminate polling
  • has well-written drivers that take interrupts into account

You can just use select() or poll() on the gpio as it is exposed on the filesystem in a userspace application. This leads to the simplest code that uses blocking so 0% CPU is used while waiting. And since the code is all in userspace, it's easier to debug and manage. You don't really want to put "business logic" in a kernel driver that turns downstream PoE on and off unless it's the only way to address your use case because it can lead to dependency issues and the kernel doesn't really expose the right interfaces within the kernel itself to address that use case. Personally, I would be constantly worried about whether I hold the correct mutexes or if other context information is relevant.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Are you describing the deprecated sysfs gpio api? I think the current design uses a shitload of character device ioctls and a userspace library to hide the gross inner workings.

e: yes this a serious question, here is the motivation for it:
OpenWrt instructions to enable downstream PoE
code:
echo "446" > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio446/direction
echo "0" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio446/value
Things i don't like about this:

1) Uses numbers not names, and the numbers aren't even fixed gpio line numbers. The number is unstable between kernel versions (changed when OpenWrt migrated from 6.1 to 6.6). The new number is 546 and the above wiki instructions no longer work.

2) The gpios need to be configured at startup (setting direction, drive strength, polarity, etc). This is not being done on the AP-303H and some outputs aren't configured as outputs until first use.

3) I want to let users turn PoE on and off, but not change basic pin configuration like turning it into an input.

Also this is standard gpio stuff that literally every single computer needs to do. Every computer ever made has some random pins that need to be configured at system startup. How can it be so hard?

Shell script + sysfs is looking pretty good, tbh.

e2: This works and should be stable:
code:
GPIO_BASE=$(cat /sys/class/gpio/gpiochip*/base | head -n 1)
GPIO_POE=$((GPIO_BASE+34))
echo $GPIO_POE >/sys/class/gpio/export
echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio$GPIO_POE/direction
echo "0" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio$GPIO_POE/value
lol

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 2, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

Are you describing the deprecated sysfs gpio api? I think the current design uses a shitload of character device ioctls and a userspace library to hide the gross inner workings.

code:

1) Uses numbers not names, and the numbers aren't even fixed gpio line numbers. The number is unstable between kernel versions (changed when OpenWrt migrated from 6.1 to 6.6). The new number is 546 and the above wiki instructions no longer work.

2) The gpios need to be configured at startup (setting direction, drive strength, polarity, etc). This is not being done on the AP-303H and some outputs aren't configured as outputs until first use.

3) I want to let users turn PoE on and off, but not change basic pin configuration like turning it into an input.

Also this is standard gpio stuff that literally every single computer needs to do. Every computer ever made has some random pins that need to be configured at system startup. How can it be so hard?

code:
lol

does the default busybox support e.g.

quote:

?

if yes then i probably won't need to do a compile, thats the kind of thing i was talking about in the other thread

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yes, busybox supports $(()) arithmetic.

At this point, I can do everything I want in user mode with a dozen lines of code. It'd be crazy to write a kernel driver when the script is working.

Anyway, I just edited the OpenWrt wiki page and updated 446 -> 546. Good enough.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

Yes, busybox supports $(()) arithmetic.

At this point, I can do everything I want in user mode with a dozen lines of code. It'd be crazy to write a kernel driver when the script is working.

Anyway, I just edited the OpenWrt wiki page and updated 446 -> 546. Good enough.

what about double-bracketed tests with variable replacement? iirc that was the primary reason i wanted a custom busybox, and while it does support that kind of thing it at least used to require editing the config header/a custom build

i'd suppose if it supports double parenthetical arithmetic then it probably does

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

the guy was microbenching postgres with debian unstable , and he noticed ssh logins took longer and investigated
now imagine if the exploit code was better written or was just time bombed to not run until 2025

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ryanrs posted:

code:

code:
lol

Yeah, a much more resilient and mature solution would be to actually create a file on sysfs or something which only loads when the relevant device is detected and does the GPIO work. And also to expose a different file which you can read in order to find out the kind of port that PoE is connected to in order to see if it’s safe to be enabled. But it’s a lot of work to write the driver, and even more work to keep it maintained by forward porting it to new kernel releases

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

what about double-bracketed tests with variable replacement? iirc that was the primary reason i wanted a custom busybox, and while it does support that kind of thing it at least used to require editing the config header/a custom build

i'd suppose if it supports double parenthetical arithmetic then it probably does

Like this?

code:
BusyBox v1.36.1 (2024-04-30 18:18:15 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r26120+8-4b04304713
root@OpenWrt:~# if [[ -f yospos ]]; then echo y; else echo n; fi
n
root@OpenWrt:~# touch yospos
y
root@OpenWrt:~# YOS=yospos
root@OpenWrt:~# if [[ -f $YOS ]]; then echo y; else echo n; fi
y
root@OpenWrt:~# rm yospos
n
root@OpenWrt:~# POS=5
root@OpenWrt:~# if [[ $POS -gt $(($SPOS+10)) ]]; then echo y; else echo n; fi
n
root@OpenWrt:~# if [[ $POS -lt $(($SPOS+10)) ]]; then echo y; else echo n; fi
y
root@OpenWrt:~# 

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tunicate posted:

not really no, but timing side channel attacks exist yes

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ryanrs posted:

code:

code:
lol

sometimes updating the wiki to call something deprecated drags all the dweebs out of the dark to yell at either you or each other about what the correct way is now, if you want an answer faster

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

No, I'm just going to write patches against the system config scripts, using the deprecated sysfs api.

I don't even need to submit the patches. I can use image builder with official builds and patch the scripts through uci-defaults or during the deployment process.

If I end up with something reasonably clean, I'll submit the patches, but I don't actually need them to be merged.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

Like this?

code:
BusyBox v1.36.1 (2024-04-30 18:18:15 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r26120+8-4b04304713
n
root@OpenWrt:~# touch yospos
y
root@OpenWrt:~# YOS=yospos
y
root@OpenWrt:~# rm yospos
n
root@OpenWrt:~# POS=5
root@OpenWrt:~# if [[ $POS -gt $(($SPOS+10)) ]]; then echo y; else echo n; fi
n
root@OpenWrt:~# if [[ $POS -lt $(($SPOS+10)) ]]; then echo y; else echo n; fi
y
root@OpenWrt:~# 

it seems like that'd be fine, but ehh now that i'm not in a moving car i can elaborate better lol

at the time (~10 years ago lol) i was using those kinds of constructs for ffmpeg workflows, i doubt i'll be doing that much now but i might, idk. so this is just an off the top of my head example of something i might try:

code:
#find audio tracks in mp4 files, convert if needed and save as m4a

for file in *.mp4; do

if [[ -e "${file%.*}.m4a" ]]; then printf "${file} already exists with m4a container\n"; continue; fi

format=$(ffprobe -show_streams -select_streams a "${file}" 2>/dev/null | grep -m 1 codec_type | cut -d "=" -f2-)
codec=$(ffprobe -show_streams -select_streams a "${file}" 2>/dev/null | grep -m 1 codec_name | cut -d "=" -f2-)

if [ -z "${format}" ]; then printf "${file} does not contain an audio track\n"; continue; fi

if [[ "${format}" = "audio" && "${codec}" != "aac" ]]; then
	printf "${file%.*} audio track needs to be re-encoded\n";
	ffmpeg -i "${file}" -vn -c:a aac -b:a 192k "${file%.*}.m4a"
	if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then rm "${file}"; else printf "ffmpeg did not exit cleanly, keeping original\n"; fi
else
	printf "aac track already exists, setting mp4 container brand to m4a\n"
	ffmpeg -i "${file}" -vn -c:a copy "${file%.*}.m4a"
	if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then rm "${file}"; else printf "ffmpeg did not exit cleanly, keeping original\n"; fi
fi

done
tbh i was trying to come up with a somewhat complex example and i'd think this would work fine anyway

but i literally just banged this out here, so there might be a missing fi statement or something, idk, i didn't check it obviously. it's just an example. i intentionally mixed "-eq" and "=" operators, mixed "[[" and "[" constructs — usually when i'm doing something like this i just go for functionality over form — but that does trip up some interpreters sometimes (especially dash, which simply doesn't have double bracket constructs anyway)

sometimes i need to do arithmetic within them, sometimes i don't, etc., so when i was compiling openwrt and busybox i just threw in the kitchen sink. back then it supported all of that, it just needed to be enabled at compile time (which it didn't do by default)

also somewhat relatedly, i usually try to avoid "[" constructs on a real machine since that usually calls the "[" binary, whereas "[[" constructs use a builtin

but since we're talking about busybox here, it's all the same binary — other than the extended functionality afforded by double bracket constructs i suppose there's no benefit to using one over the other anyway. right?

e: readability

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 2, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install bash
Package bash (5.2.21-r1) installed in root is up to date.

takes about 500k of space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install bash
Package bash (5.2.21-r1) installed in root is up to date.

takes about 500k of space

lmao good point