Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

perl has plenty of syntactic shortcuts, none of them cute and better compared to scouring powder

python & ruby are dumb things that nobody worthwhile uses

are you like a slobbering 50 year old alcoholic with seeping in dementia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
never use perl. or python or ruby

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

never use anything

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Unlike zfs or btrfs, lvm is not a filesystem. It cannot dynamically adjust free space on a mounted fs to allow for snapshots.

Maybe you need to be looking at LVM sparse volumes? All of the LVM except that the partitions are only allocated when you need the space. They come with a performance hit, though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

never use scripts, just blindly use configuration management or turn everything into a docker image

pram
Jun 10, 2001
apfs is the most advanced bsd filesystem anyway

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lvm is seriously a stupid default for workstations/desktops/laptops. let it be the default if disk count is >1, sure, but seriously, why the hell is lvm2 even an installed package by default in desktop distros.

btrfs with subvolumes for /,/home and /var, straight on a gpt partition.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

spankmeister posted:

I've only seen SLES used in Germany really.

OpenSUSE has an LTS now, I think it's called Leap.

it's also going to become the centos of sles, while tumbleweed becomes the fedora of sles

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the big upside of lvm is, apparently, that it isn't a layering violation

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Punkbob posted:

fwiw most non lovely folks I know in infra don’t use rhel or cent or even fedora.

they hooked on that coreos or _maybe_ Ubuntu. Or they use something insane like FreeBSD.

it’s only Unix stymie that actually uses red hat based distros, outside of yospos I don’t know any Linux janitors that aren’t installing Ubuntu

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
like nbsd pointed out in the past, ubuntu is not terrible if you're running php apps, and most people do.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it’s only Unix stymie that actually uses red hat based distros, outside of yospos I don’t know any Linux janitors that aren’t installing Ubuntu

my work server stack is centos

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
For you centos users:

do you manage the deployment or are you just dropping rpms for customers?

how many systems do you run, and how do you patch them?

what’s your config management look like

are you using docker at all?

and are you using anything like mesos, kubernetes or nomad to schedule across a fleet of machines?

if you are hand janitoring a few centos systems and dropping rpms that’s cool. But once you get past 20 machines even without docker centos/rhel start to be a pain to keep in line. You can use anaconda and build a deploy method around that but no one I know of does that.

my favorite parts are when you have to compile the AWS network adaptor and back it into the image with CentOS, which only works on latest releases. Or when cloud-init randomly doesn’t work on rhel.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Punkbob posted:

For you centos users:

and are you using anything like mesos, kubernetes or nomad to schedule across a fleet of machines?

if you are hand janitoring a few centos systems and dropping rpms that’s cool. But once you get past 20 machines even without docker centos/rhel start to be a pain to keep in line. You can use anaconda and build a deploy method around that but no one I know of does that.

my favorite parts are when you have to compile the AWS network adaptor and back it into the image with CentOS, which only works on latest releases. Or when cloud-init randomly doesn’t work on rhel.

for posterity, i dont work in software development, just a company that runs a few financial products - and a website for each. we have handful of servers for each team, and no one knows what the gently caress they are doing (most of our developer (like 90%+ as far as i can tell) don't know english so imagine the level of technical literacy. hence, everything is by hand, no config management, there is an "official" ""investigation"" (launched in november 2017!!!!!!) into "the docker technology" to "study its applicability to our goals" (oh god please kill me, our php+mysql herd has heard of containerization and i cant wait for our prod to be in blue flames when managers zealously whip the project through in 3 weeks) or nomad or mesos or kubernets or ansible or any other buzzwords ive picked up in yospos over the years

our only system administration/devops dude (for a thousand strong company; approx. 50 servers (not absolutely all are centos, but those that arent should be even worse given the software they use)) seems to be chill enough that he might actually use something civilised for initial setup, ill give him that, but afterwards it is wild west with people hassling him down to poo poo like "my application cant connect to internet"

in my case, our department has two servers, one for my team and one for team across the table so i manage this both more or less since im the only person familiar with the unix in the department. in my case i ssh in and do everything manually since this is mostly out of scope of my duties which don't get any smaller just because i don't want to wait for weeks for someone to set up a server for me. in an ideal world id learn some ansible or whatever to make a nice, not bash, script to migrate our setup across machines, but im not sure how much time that will take and if i want to invest in that given that i may want to migrate this just once, and not even necessarily

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

let me guess you work for a startup and your infrastructure exists only in aws

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truga posted:

like nbsd pointed out in the past, ubuntu is not terrible if you're running php apps, and most people do.

drinking chilled battery acid is pretty good while burning in the fires of hell, downright refreshing in fact

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this post is mostly true, but it needs to be read with the understanding that linux janitors are for the most part sad wretched people who are obviously making terrible choices, as it is otherwise also hard to explain why they are linux janitors

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this post is mostly true, but it needs to be read with the understanding that linux janitors are for the most part sad wretched people who are obviously making terrible choices, as it is otherwise also hard to explain why they are linux janitors

then where do you work that is a paragon of Linux janitoring.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

let me guess you work for a startup and your infrastructure exists only in aws

research project doing weird kernel poo poo, but seriously even the at&t project i was on six years ago was all ubuntu

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Punkbob posted:

For you centos users:

it's all managed through chef scripts, but part of what they do is install the necessary rpms

Punkbob posted:

uh few hundred vms i think? no fuckin idea how they get patched i'm not a computer janitor

Punkbob posted:

it looks like an incomprehensible ruby "dsl" that tries to be declarative but isn't, and maybe 2 or 3 people in the company understand it well enough to work with it, and everyone else just defers all that work to them, including me, because i don't want to touch the poop either

Punkbob posted:

yeah sometimes. i also use docker in aws. wanna fight me?

Punkbob posted:

no because the guy who came up with our config/deploy management did so before such tools became popular, and now he's gone and nobody else wants to do it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when i was a kid, trying to figure out this weird "linux" thing that would let me install unix on a home PC,

nbsd confirmed not as old as he pretends to be on the Internet

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Punkbob posted:

what does any of this have to do with desktop operating systems

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Soricidus posted:

what does any of this have to do with desktop operating systems

nothing. but this is the defacto Linux thread.

if this thread is supposed to just be desktop Linux then there is only one post needed:

lol, no.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

nbsd confirmed not as old as he pretends to be on the Internet

i have never pretended to be old on the internet

i am still in my 30s my dude

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Punkbob posted:

if this thread is supposed to just be desktop Linux then there is only one post needed:

lol, no.

tbf that was like the first three pages of the thread

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

as a linux expat, i like to chime in once in a while to help dissuade noobs from wasting there time with linux as a desktop

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i have a link to virtual box on my desktop, that counts right

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have never seen a csh script in use in my working life

not even as /etc/rc on a BSD-derived system like SunOS or NEXTSTEP?

I’m pretty sure NeXT used csh for /etc/rc through OPENSTEP 4.2, in addition to using it as the default user shell until like Mac OS X 10.3 (though as tcsh for all of Mac OS X, thanks Wilfredo)

quote:

i also never understood what made csh scripting any worse than ksh or bash. they are all hot piss from a dick.

there was a “csh considered harmful” rant many years back that went into the details about this

the short version is that there are serious ambiguities in the syntax that make csh more dangerous for scripting than even sh

that’s why scripts should be written in scsh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what else would they janitor these days though

not BSD, right? it’s not really supported via any sort of large scale hosting that I know of.

and also:
not Solaris
not AIX
not HP-UX
not OSF/1 Digital UNIX Tru64
not Irix
not something truly wack like DG-UX

there’s not really any other reasonable server platform on the market besides Linux and BSD, and nobody really supports the latter

pram
Jun 10, 2001
digitalocean has freebsd vms

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

not BSD, right? it’s not really supported via any sort of large scale hosting that I know of.

and also:
not Solaris
not AIX
not HP-UX
not Irix

there’s not really any other reasonable server platform on the market besides Linux and BSD, and nobody really supports the latter

you are taking an over-the-top post rather too seriously, the intended reading however is that someone who has made it their job to janitor linux (and here one could toss in janitoring any computers really but the theme of thread and post was linux) should not be trusted for advice on what to janitor, as it presupposes an already bad life choice

Punkbob posted:

then where do you work that is a paragon of Linux janitoring.

well, i have never worked anywhere in the post-rhel era where anything but rhel has been used, and it has then administered largely by old grumpy guys who i did not fraternize with so deeply as to get on the subject of what they ran on computers at home. i'd be willing to bet most were running whatever the computers came installed with however, as none of them ever struck me as people who could be bothered to mess about with these things at home

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

and also:
not Solaris
not AIX
not HP-UX
not Irix

z/OS

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

pram posted:

digitalocean has freebsd vms

i used one to host a perl app a while back.

i have done questionable things.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

not even as /etc/rc on a BSD-derived system like SunOS or NEXTSTEP?

aside from some crufty sysadmin desktops I have never seen sunOS 4 in a work situation

used to have a sunOS 4 machine at home for fun but that doesn’t count

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

and also:
not Solaris
not AIX
not HP-UX
not Irix

DGUX, IRIX, and tru64 are all officially dead

hpux is still “supported” but only on old lovely hardware

Solaris and Aix are both officially alive but their vendors don’t seem eager to sell it to anyone. (IBM pushes Linux on POWER really hard; oracle wants to sell their fully integrated exadata thingies)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I saw a dgux machine at work once. It was powered off on a pallet (it was huge) with a stickie note to call bob or somebody before disposing of it

I seriously think it has been sitting on that pallet for twenty years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
for a while I thought people wearing A|X shirts were some weird Unix hipsters.