Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's athas's blog. You just told the author their own summary is wrong holy poo poo lmao

fucc lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's athas's blog. You just told the author their own summary is wrong holy poo poo lmao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Xkdc Larper posted:

Why use sway over i3?

when you want something almost like i3 but don't want screen sharing to work

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sounds like you should just get a better keyboard

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
when i tried wayland briefly sway seemed like an okay i3 replacement (or at least a start at one).

but then i ran up against the wall of libinput not supporting remapping multi-finger tap inputs to specific click types because the maintainer didn't seem to comprehend that not everyone has the same touchpad they do and that this functionality was, as such, not important and too hard to implement.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

No I didn't. I am not Daniel.

oh sorry

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

florida lan posted:

when i tried wayland briefly sway seemed like an okay i3 replacement (or at least a start at one).

but then i ran up against the wall of libinput not supporting remapping multi-finger tap inputs to specific click types because the maintainer didn't seem to comprehend that not everyone has the same touchpad they do and that this functionality was, as such, not important and too hard to implement.

"works on my machine"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

florida lan posted:

that's a problem with the device db, not libinput. your touchpad needs to be added to the device db with the correct tags and then this functionality will be mapped correctly.

if it were the other way around and libinput threw 50 different touch pad settings in your face and told you to tune things up so that they matched your particular touch pad then you'd be complaining about how unpolished it is.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sapozhnik beat me to it

hutterer even saw how cumbersome hwdb through udev was, so libinput has added support for definining rules through ini-files: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/commit/5792af9a5f4ae0bc11cd6d070ed643896c157f19

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I'm using sway/Wayland on a boring old desktop with keyboard, mouse, single monitor, wired ethernet, and a fixed set of peripherals (and nothing fancy at that). I think it would require a lot more janitoring if I ran it on a laptop, or cared much about plugging in portable media.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

that's a problem with the device db, not libinput. your touchpad needs to be added to the device db with the correct tags and then this functionality will be mapped correctly.

by "device" I think you mean "model of laptop", for example: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/blob/master/quirks/50-system-lenovo.quirks

I have a T440s. its bad buttonless touchpad was replaced with one from the x50 series as they are electrically compatible

afterwards, to fix some stuttering I had to manually edit the device db to have a t440 case with "ModelLenovoT450Touchpad=1"

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yeah that's the new ini-file thingie (quirks files), not hwdb

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

nah, the post was not even remotely related to footwear

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

maybe interesting for someone

With An Out-Of-Tree Kernel Patch You Can Finally Read/Write To The SSDs On Newer Macs

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

heh

x86/fsgsbase: Revert FSGSBASE support

gleixner not that happy with intel

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

at least i tried

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tankakern posted:

yeah that's the new ini-file thingie (quirks files), not hwdb

where do quirk files go? here's the hwdb hack i had to do previously

apparently it indeed no longer does anything, messing with wayland again after a few months and the occasional cursor stuttering has reappeared

code:
# support hacked touchpad
# put this into /etc/udev/hwdb.d/10-touchpad.hwdb
# see also: [url]https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/blob/7f6c1fc4354ff0fbbe43238f54a9ef3a88f05d46/udev/90-libinput-model-quirks.hwdb[/url]
# to reload:
#   sudo udevadm hwdb --update
#   sudo udevadm test /sys/class/input/event11 # from libinput list-devices
libinput:name:SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad:dmi:*svnLENOVO:*:pvrThinkPad*:
 LIBINPUT_MODEL_LENOVO_T450_TOUCHPAD=1
 LIBINPUT_ATTR_PALM_PRESSURE_THRESHOLD=150
e: the url tags being inserted into the paste are 100% radium

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

/etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks

https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/device-quirks.html

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

great thanks! something to mess around with on a rainy Sunday afternoon

also trip report on swapping out x11+i3 with wayland+sway again: everything's the same so far, things feel subjectively faster on this 6yo laptop but I haven't measured. the one objective change is the catastrophic tearing on Netflix video in Firefox has completely gone away

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ended up with this quirks equivalent in about 10 minutes or so:
code:
# Copy this file into /etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks
# Check with e.g. $ libinput quirks list --verbose /dev/input/event12
[Lenovo T450 Touchpad in T440s]
MatchDMIModalias=dmi:*svnLENOVO:*:pvrThinkPadT440s*
ModelLenovoT450Touchpad=1
the "libinput quirks list --verbose" command made it easy to check that the file is actually doing something

i'm still a bit :stonk: about basing touchpad detection off of the laptop model but i imagine thats the best of several bad options, given pc hardware manufacturers etc

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

neat!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
https://twitter.com/debian/status/1147900101773295616

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
:rms2:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

An ACPI translator is available, it is currently only used to shut down the system.
The LwIP TCP/IP stack is now available as an option.
A PCI arbiter has been introduced, and will be useful to properly manage PCI access, as well as provide fine-grain hardware access.
Support for LLVM was introduced.
New optimisations include protected payloads, better paging management and message dispatch, and gsync synchronization.

lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/ruigalaxys4/status/1147907747876417536

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
what? lol.

hurd is kind of the thing i remember exists every few years, like a deadbeat loser uncle.

as a layman when it comes to developing software, let alone building an os, that release log thingy is like hearing about how he filled out the form to register to take his ged test to get his life on track(at age 45), but is currently scrounging for change to catch a bus to get a postage stamp to send it out.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:nice:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Time to change the thread title – surely, 2019 will be the year of GNU/Hurd on the desktop, not GNU/Linux.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

you cant polish a hurd

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
2019 will be the year of GNU/Hurd on something

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

linux is meant to be scene, not hurd

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Zlodo posted:

2019 will be the year of GNU/Hurd on something

on a throwaway virtual machine

on the other hand, imagine someone breaking into a gnu/hurd vm over the network and trying all the zero day linux kernel bugs to get privilege escalation and tearing their hair out

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

ended up with this quirks equivalent in about 10 minutes or so:
code:
# Copy this file into /etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks
# Check with e.g. $ libinput quirks list --verbose /dev/input/event12
[Lenovo T450 Touchpad in T440s]
MatchDMIModalias=dmi:*svnLENOVO:*:pvrThinkPadT440s*
ModelLenovoT450Touchpad=1
the "libinput quirks list --verbose" command made it easy to check that the file is actually doing something

i'm still a bit :stonk: about basing touchpad detection off of the laptop model but i imagine thats the best of several bad options, given pc hardware manufacturers etc

the synaptics drivers for linux are really very, very good, but figuring out precisely what kind of device you are talking to in order to configure the driver is a challenge

so the choices are either set up the touchpad to have the responsiveness of a 1970s resistive device using fallback settings, or have horrible quirks files detecting model strings. i prefer the latter

(if you really want to know horror, look into how intel ac97 devices are configured. basically every laptop has different pinouts)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Breakfast All Day posted:

you cant polish a hurd

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

el dorito posted:

on a throwaway virtual machine

on the other hand, imagine someone breaking into a gnu/hurd vm over the network and trying all the zero day linux kernel bugs to get privilege escalation and tearing their hair out

I tried doing just that. I had to go and pick "other, other" on Parallels which knows multiple different versions of DOS, OS/2 and Solaris.

I could not get it installing the network adapter even after downgrading to a Realtek adapter, the network adaptor supported by multiple toasters and gardening equipment, I'm sure.

The installer looks like Linux ca 1995 but with more visual errors.

After installation, it informed me to install Grub on /dev/sda, but – psych – it is really /dev/hd0. BTW, now the installer is hosed, so please try again from scratch. Now, I'm going thru the installation process from scratch.

What are the odds I get sound on this thing?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nbsd: the synaptics driver is a trainweck and has been deprecated for years. hutterer was the last maintainer, and he wont touch it with a ten feet pole

this is like when you talk about amd graphics and mention issues with fglrx, you're living 10 years in the past

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 7, 2019

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Got it running walking barely crawling.

No network because Realtek doesn't even sound like a real piece of networking equipment.

If I click on the globe-ting or web-browser in the menu, I get a terminal. This is pretty much the full installation of Debian GNU/Hurd (for Enterprise).

Sound is not working.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

klafbang posted:

No network because Realtek doesn't even sound like a real piece of networking equipment.

Sound is not working.

feature parity with linux at last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sound will work on hurd after linux gets sound