Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

keyvin posted:

Can someone please explain to me what Canonical hopes to accomplish with mir? What do they gain? AFAIK they don't actually have a hardware partner for tablets, and their phone kick starter failed. They are splitting development efforts from the other distros for a vapor product line.

To the person that wanted to know what desktop that was in my screen shot, it was Razor-qt. Lxde and Razor have merged (which is the first time I have heard of that happening) because they had the same design goals, and LXDE is moving to QT.

Also, I found this gem on canonical's website.
Most of this stuff is in China. There really are Ubuntu-branded kiosks at the mall and computer stores selling Canonical-supported stuff there. I'm pretty sure they really do have a phone / tablet partner or two lined up but I'm also pretty sure you won't see it in the US.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

does canonical actually make money?
Anything other than downloaded CD images containing an Ubuntu mark requires permission from Canonical. This includes obvious stuff like Dell/System76 PCs shipped with Ubuntu, but also cloud VMs like on Amazon and Azure. The majority of cloud VMs out there are running Ubuntu, so I imagine this is real business.

Also the fact that Microsoft is paying Canonical is kinda lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

jre posted:

No really, what ?

pram posted:

Lol no

https://community.csc.com/community/cio-engage/blog/2014/03/23/the-most-popular-cloud-operating-system-is

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

They're counting contractless Ubuntu and paid Ubuntu as one unit. If you counted RHEL and CentOS together, that would win.
Ubuntu has a majority, not a plurality. If you combined all non-Ubuntu Ubuntu would still have more.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Fedora's release cycle was always supposed to be one month after GNOME release. Unfortunately, Anaconda hosed that up. Anaconda keeps getting worse, and even now, with two release cycles skipped to make way for the incredible, mind-bending change of "some different packages are installed by default", Fedora 21 is still blocked by Anaconda.

I don't know what happened with Anaconda or Fedora 21.
Ironically Ubuntu had the same idea (Gnome one month after X, Ubuntu one month after Gnome). Somehow Ubuntu has kept its cadence despite not actually using the latest Gnome releases for the LTSes. So sometimes we skip a version. And of course Unity isn't Gnome (but Ubuntu-Gnome is now a thing).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ludwig van Halen posted:

they do it by shipping beta level products even by Linux standards for the sake of meeting date based versioning deadlines
If you're not using the LTSes this is kinda true.

LTSes will very much prefer older stable software to new poo poo though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Soricidus posted:

it's literally true. it's the reason I stopped using ubuntu years ago, after they deliberately shipped broken video drivers because the alternative was either delaying the release slightly or leaving out some other feature that required the new broken beta drivers.

(anecdote may be inaccurate because gently caress looking up the details)
this also sounds like the reason why "wait a month before upgrading" is generally advised.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this defeats the purpose of having a "release"
I'm overstating the severity. Major issues creeping into releases have definitely gone down over time. We're getting a lot better at planning and modularizing too, so "not ready" things can reasonably be backed out during feature freeze rather than forced to move forward.

nannerpus_ posted:

wait so why cannot canonical just wait another month to get it right? or is gathering user feedback on what poo poo you guys broke part of the actual process
Releases are generally pretty great these days as there's a lot of automated testing and phasing in of stuff for even the betas. But the reality will always be that edge case bugs will only be found after the release because that's when millions more people will install it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

eschaton posted:

I'm the key nobody has on their keyboards

don't get me wrong, I love me a lisp machine, but "super"?

It's the windows key.

Put an ubuntu sticker on it like I did if you wanna be :smugdog:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

This reminds me of the guy who was emailing ubuntu-devel recently asking for a patch to the 20 year old xkeycaps program so he could rebind his sun keyboard.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

OldAlias posted:

computer is tools. updating arch often breaks tools, devs don't give a poo poo. janitoring for the sake of janitoring is not enlightening. use arch if your time is worthless

seriously, there are plenty of ways to dick around and "learn" in a more usable distro. Or do development itself.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ruby idiot railed posted:

Joey Hess and Colin Watson are resigning from Debian-CTTE/Debian as of this week. Ian Jackson strikes again.

wait what

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ruby idiot railed posted:

Joey Hess and Colin Watson are resigning from Debian-CTTE/Debian as of this week. Ian Jackson strikes again.

Colin Watson posted:

I hereby declare my intent to resign from the Debian Technical
Committee. The Constitution doesn't really have a clear procedure for
handling resignations here; I expect the TC will want to appoint a new
member, which I appreciate might take a while. Subject to advice from
the DPL and/or the TC Chair, I'd be willing to stay in post until no
later than the end of January or until a new member is appointed, or
alternatively to have my resignation take effect immediately. Let me
know what seems best.

I appreciate that the timing is such that this looks like a response to
Joey's mails, or perhaps to some other recent discussions. That isn't
the case. I've been doing a good deal of refactoring of my life
recently as a result of realising that I was burning out [1], and right
now it's important that I make an effort to spend my Debian time on
things I find relaxing rather than things I've been finding stressful.
I also feel that I haven't been able to give as much time to the TC as
I'd hoped I would be able to, and I think the project deserves to have
somebody who can take a more active part.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/11/msg00052.html

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Silver Alicorn posted:

just got GNOME/Firefox up and running after learning the new systemd thing (what was wrong with system V style scripts??)

fonts lmao

arch in a nutshell folks

you had to learn what systemd was in order to have a desktop

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Shaggar posted:

for ipads/iphones there are management tools so you can lock down their devices if they're on your network and since they're closed source you can trust them. w/ android or just a regular old laptop you aren't gonna be able to lock them down so your choice are don't allow them or let them be used as thin clients that access ur network thru a vpn and remote desktop/app virtualization
https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/190930?hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.enterprise.dmagent&hl=en

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Where shadowhawk, i gotta report a wine issue on 14.04

I have PM you know.

And like email and stuff

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

bobbilljim posted:

looks like it worked though didnt it :smugmrgw:

By sheer luck. I haven't really been keepin' up with POS threads daily, much less within 10 minutes of the last post.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

pram posted:

*shadowhawk bursts in* did someone say repository

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

pram posted:

srsly what kind of idiot posts on a lovely dying site from the late 90s

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Hey guys launchpad is open source why not host code there :v:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Captain Foo posted:

cool now there's a version of ubuntu that breaks away from apt-get and .deb files

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1434

Btw Suspicious Dish after I read this I emailed Mark your blog post.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Palace of Hate posted:

desktop linux trip report:
steam ships with its own old broken libraries and will throw strange errors until you read that after installin it you should probably delete a bunch of .so files from its directory so it uses the regular ones. AMD driver mysteriously give half the framerate that using the mesa one does. also all my windows had a robot tit on them and so I had to dig through 3 different included config apps to remove the tit.

the purpose of the tit was apparently to make the window persist across multiple desktops but i'm not ready for the future i just plug in more monitors

If you are using steam you should be running it on steamos or Ubuntu where it's actually supported by Valve.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

If you base something on Ubuntu it's most likely to work in Ubuntu, just saying.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Anyway with Snappy Ubuntu will still be debs internally for all the stuff that's debs now (that's how the snappy images are generated after all - deploy the packages on a system, then snappify it). It's basically the same way the ISOs are made.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

are you seriously telling me that ubuntu libc is so special that steam bugs are caused by running on a standard libc, and not because they shipped dozens of known-buggy libraries lifted from ubuntu 12.04 ?

I am seriously telling you that running programs in the environments they were tested in is more likely to work

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Series DD Funding posted:

does canonical still sell all your searches to amazon
they never did

if you did a search in the unity dash for something one of the handlers for that search would anonymize the data, run it through an anonymizing proxy, then query amazon for the same term and return the results (with a +canonical referral link included).

After everyone complained easy UI to disable it was added in the next release, and I believe today it's off by default.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

It is not off by default, and the UI is not easy to find. Also, the anonymizing proxy was found to be insufficient and still leaked data through to Amazon.

it may have been turned off by my laptop vendor then

A data leak is a serious problem, though it isn't data "sold" to amazon so much as given to them.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Canonical is getting money in return for your search results. I don't see how that's not selling.
They only get the money when people buy things via the referral program, if I understand it correctly. They would make the exact same if the data leak bug where fixed (is it even real? link plz)

It's like if you went and bought chinese food and someone else's receipt was accidentally stuck to yours and then claimed the store was selling you personal information.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Broken Machine posted:

I installed gnome 3 on a somewhat marginal laptop with 600px of vertical resolution, and tried to change some things with the tweak tool. But the dialog box scrolls off screen. Is there a way to set a virtual desktop larger than the screen or something? I'm not seeing any way to make it so I can actually read the entire dialog box. I see there's a zoom feature but no way to zoom out less than 1:1.

"somewhat marginal"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Soricidus posted:

yeah, what kind of idiot would try to install linux on a netbook of all things, everyone knows those were designed for windows xp
Yeah I thought it was a netbook. 600px vertical sounds like an original EeePC though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Soricidus posted:

I think the original eee only had 480px vertical? 600px vertical was standard on pretty much every other netbook ever though. only the really expensive ones had 768px, and what kind of fool would pay for an expensive netbook? apart from me
Regardless if you want to use an old school netbook you'll need to avoid using modern Gnome. I think Lubuntu (LXDE) might support screen sizes like that.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The_Franz posted:

amd's open drivers are pretty good and they have actual amd employees working on them. their goal is to eventually have most functionality in the open drivers and then have the closed driver modules 'snap in' if you need certain features like framelock.
we've been hearing that for years now but they're still bad

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

hey yospos I need some peer pressure to actually verify Wine in Ubuntu 16.04 will be a reasonable package cause I've been shirking Ubuntu duties for the greater part of a year now

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

theultimo posted:

Ask the playonlinux boyz, they're pretty up to date
Yeah I've been meaning to automate the biweekly release -> beta package process for a while now

Other things have filled into the niche there.

But at this rate there won't even be a good stable package in the LTS release unless I do something.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

To respond to this from a while back:

pram posted:

i think GNU is the missing element from this discussion about why linux is ubiquitous and bsd is dead (netcraft confirms)

linux was more than software, it was the center of an ideology. it wasnt just about having a free unix, it was about FREEDOM. the revolution os. we joke about stallman/esr types but they were truly prolific characters. people actually believed in the mission. lol. what else could possibly explain people like suspicious dish and shadowhawk dedicating their lives to working on this poo poo for nothing/pittances?

i mean most of that is over now, but bsd didnt have the critical mass of zealots and acolytes because the mission and philosophy isn't as 'visionary'
I'd say I was doing it for the cause but that wouldn't square away with participation dropping through the floor once I had a job I liked.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

Lol wine will always be terrible. Sorry. :(
In general Wine will either work great or be worthless depending on the App. There's a very narrow class of app for which it will work with reduced performance or minor bugs and be somewhere between, but on the whole it's a fairly binary thing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ubuntu's former community manager namedropped me in a podcast interview last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_d3abl9Lf8&t=3207s

Jono Bacon posted:

There are people who are critical of something, and I think that's fine. That's absolutely fine.

Like using Unity as an example again, there was a guy called Scott Ritchie in the Ubuntu community - was very involved in Wine. You know, the Windows emulator that isn't an emulator.

Scott was...not a fan of Unity...by any stretch. But he was incredibly constructive and he would make his points in a way that we could have a conversation. And we all respected him for that.

RIP Unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

jono bacon is really not a good community manager. which is why he's now a branding consultant or something
He's a consulting community management person thing. Companies hire him to organize their internal or external communities.

Wrote an O'Reilly book called "The Art of Community"