Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I also maintain COBOL code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don't know everything about lunix but I understand that X11 has some old, old design decisions that make certain modern display tasks inefficient or impossible, which is reason enough to move on to something better. besides if wayland has adequate backwards compatibility who the gently caress cares. nobody complains that win16 code doesn't run anymore, except morons

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Xwayland is literally just the current X11 server code, except display is redirected to a wayland window instead of the kernel. you don't need to compile against any different libraries or make any changes

but let's keep making up poo poo to justify our curmudgeonliness, it's fun

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

The only way to do a notification in X11 that I know of is _NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION, which is part of the EWMH, not the ICCCM, and simply means "make the taskbar button blink". Most DEs don't support that anymore because apps abused it way too much, but for the ones that do I see no reason why it wouldn't continue to work under Xwayland.

what's the deal with this anyway. you get blinky taskbar buttons in windows and bouncing dock icons in osx, and it conveys information in a way I've grown accustomed to. when I try to use, for instance, steam on linux, I don't get any indication that I have unread messages like on windows/osx which makes it a lot harder to use and is sort of a dealbreaker for me using linux as a serious windows replacement (aside from numerous other dealbreakers)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

I have the opposite experience on Windows. Skype is constantly blinking at me and I can never get the little "1" indicator to go away. Steam always has some form of weird progress bar overlay in the icon on W7, and I can't ever figure out how to get it to just go back to a normal icon.

Really, a blinky taskbar doesn't convey much information other than "this app demands your attention now!" The replacement for it is desktop notifications, which we've supported forever, and are what's standard on OS X / mobile.

If somebody sends you a Steam message, Steam should pop up a notification to say what that person wanted, and when you click on it you can reply. _NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION has been a frustration for users forever, because it doesn't give the user much information about how to deal with the situation, and if you want to figure out what's going on by switching to the app, that clears the attention state, meaning there's no way to "schedule" it for later.

What other annoyances with Linux as a desktop do you have?

I probably don't get a high volume of messages compared to other users, usually when a window begs for attention I have the time to respond right away, so I like to keep up with it. also I still keep my taskbar in the win95/winXP style, so my steam messages window has a separate taskbar button and thus calls for attention separately from the main steam client. also the progress bar thing steam does means it's updating a game, and I like to keep up on that poo poo too

other annoyances? Linux still lacks a decent music player I guess, unless there's something better than rhythmbox now. rhythmbox can't properly play albums gaplessly still. I used to use musicPD for that but I had to encode albums with ogg vorbis because mp3 frame size limits meant there were always small gaps at the end of a file. I use iTunes mainly because it works properly w/ my iPod and also has fairly good gap detection. whenever I try to manage my iPod w/ non-Apple software it loses all the gapless metadata for some reason

lots of hobby audio apps like famitracker or modplug tracker don't have equivalents on linux, or the equivalents are laughably incomplete, and running them under wine introduces massive lag. this is app inertia I guess

also I used to use gaim/pidgin all the time but I've come to like trillian a lot better. I think there's a linux version of that now though, haven't tried it yet. using pidgin or empathy always makes me feel short-changed because it doesn't work like trillian

3D performance is MASSIVELY reduced in linux, but this is probably because of lovely AMD drivers. nouveau works with my video card but only supports a small subset of card features and programs can crash if they load too many textures or something like that

when I was younger I used linux religiously (gentoo lol) and I still use it on servers all the time, but for desktop stuff I've gotten used to windows/osx "just working". I use mingw for microcontroller dev on windows though because I don't like the big IDEs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've been getting used to CentOS/yum lately, I think I might install a fedora Vm today and see how gnome3 is going on that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

1000th reply

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

there's a lot of linux on my desk right now

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

yeah and it's also the only os that will run poo poo they want to run if they're buying a computer

if they just want to browse the internet and send email they'll just buy an android phone or shitlet like good little consumers :nsa:

i would like to see it succeed, but the oss community's decades-long "convert the third world poors" strategy didn't work with OLPC, it didn't work with the numerous projects to switch local governments over to oss, and it isn't going to work with your thing either. it doesn't even need to get drowned by microsoft bribes, it just never reaches broad user acceptance in the first place.

technical superiority doesn't mean a loving thing. nothing. zero. less than zero. you are posting on a forum written in loving php.

mr. dog it seems to me like suspicious dish's company has done a lot more market research than you and you're bitter for some reason :shrug:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well the OLPC was a piece of poo poo and also it was being sold to places that didn't have electricity or water or chairs

it's not the same

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hey if I were gonna install linux on a spare partition, just for laughs, which one should I use as of today?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I already have a mac. I recently cleared off a drive so I could do a clean install of windows to troubleshoot something, so now I have a spare partition

also I have installed gentoo in the past and used to be a fervent user of it but it's too much hassle nowadays (and bad)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

last time I tried arch I had a hell of a time getting the fonts to look presentable but hey I'll give it a go. been using centos and debian at work mostly

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

maybe I'm just curious to see what C&P likes about Arch because I've already used debian/ubuntu/fedora/centos pretty extensively vOv

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm gonna install arch

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gnome 2 is incredibly dated

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's pronounced genome

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm installing arch right now. I'm pretty sure I used it before but I don't remember any of this

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

because I'm bored and I want to see the freshest packages

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

just got GNOME/Firefox up and running after learning the new systemd thing (what was wrong with system V style scripts??)

fonts lmao

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

tho i'll tbh this is way way better at scrolling screen content than wandows. buttery smooth.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

sounds like I don't really want to know

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

neither does windows, if you're running the correct version

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

what if you're a big nerd

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok I'm bored w/ desktop linux already. only game I could get working was Europa Universalis IV

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Linux Alternatives To Adobe Illustrator

Skencil (http://www.skencil.org/)
Xara Xtreme for Linux (http://www.xaraxtreme.org/)
sK1 Project (http://ww.sk1project.org/)
Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I tried out mumble and apparently my audio is "crackly"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also I got dota 2 to work alright by turning all the graphics settings down, apparently it has really bad memory management on linux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah the performance is just as good as windows w/ my nvidia. just it has a very high chance of running out of memory if you don't turn off the advanced graphics features.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

TF2 was one of the first games they ported to linux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

VMware

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:pwn:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

install gentoo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think it might be time for my bi-annual Linux installation (got tired of win10 preview), which flavor should I try? I used arch last time at the behest of c&p but I think I might like to try something different this time

how's ubuntu doing? fedora? I've been using debian and centos for work VMs but they're really not representative of a good desktop distro

mint?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the mouse acceleration is all hosed up in fedora 21

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

fixed the mouse but I have to run a script on startup. also had to do some fuckery to get steam working correctly. graphics tablet only working as a basic pointing device, but that might just be because it's an off brand thing. so far, ehhhhhh, but at least it's less work than setting up arch

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Celexi posted:

My mouse is fine and all i had to do to get steam was install it from rpmfusion :xd: i did have to add a selinux exception for dota 2 as it couldn't access some sound resource.

yeah steam was complaining that it didn't have direct rendering, I had to delete a couple of its local libraries and install the fedora versions. what kind of graphics card are you using? mine's an nvidia

the mouse problem might be a logitech thing, it seems to have been around a while too. I have to change the device properties with xinput but then it's fine.

I tried updating the system with the gui software updater, but somehow it didn't acknowledge the updates were applied, and kept telling me to update but then giving an error that the packages were already installed. running a yum update fixed it though. nice OS you got here :shrug:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

there's something a little weird about the liberation fonts but I can't put my finger on it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

You are kidding arent you ?
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I installed ubuntu & then installed the nvidia driver from the software updater. after logging out & back in, unity wouldn't come back up and I couldn't drop down to a virtual terminal either (though I could go to the vga console). I don't think I'll be using ubuntu.