Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Marzzle posted:

whats the big advantage of CentOS vs something like debian unstable? i get the impression it's sorta fedora: server edition but i have never run it

It's super long term support, solid as a rock, secure, and not built by morons.

Fedora is to Rhel as Debian testing is to Debian Stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Fedora for the desktop, Cent for the servers.
Ubuntu is trash and so is Debian.

What I'm saying here is Slackware is the best.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

theultimo posted:

Shoot, by the time its installed planning and whatnot, its could be up to a year or even more

Only 9 years of support? Unacceptable! :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use a combination of Sublime/Gedit/nano/vim/Pycharm/PHPStorm/Eclipse-cdt.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol if you don't use fvwm. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
2016 year of Linux on the desktop: Don't use Ubuntu.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

i like ubuntu kuz its got so many ppl its the default / top option for dl software and faqs and stuff. also ppl on ubuntu (like me) are basic n00bs who cant handle the tough stuff so they make it ez and hopefully work good. but this printer bull poo poo is pissin me off. i aint got time to janitor the freaing printer nonstop. it can make my job rly slow. i print scripts (sides) and contracts and poo poo every fkin day.

Use Fedora. It's almost as easy and not horrible.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

im going to blast into fedora soon and its going to be epic. im also going to try to plug the external hd at work into the router for some epic file xfer. never did that b4 so im p drat hype. but i dont have time to cripple me ol compy till next week or something. fail.

It's already crippled with Ubuntu on it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

i think it's because i mount my server's ftp with curlftpfs in my home so it just works like a folder and i can cp/pv poo poo in and out of it. I guess I should just move it

lol not using sshfs or nfs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

was unaware. will probably switch if they're better

NFS is better if it's working properly. SSHFS for everything else really.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Efi is such trash.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mishaq posted:

systemd owns

Agreed. Any piece of software that is so hated by nerds that the writer gets death threats is A-OK in my book.

Also lol if you have a script that could gently caress up and rm -rf /. You have to be a blithering loving idiot to allow that to happen.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I used reiserfs back in the day. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

gentoo install guide :hfive:

when's reiser4 coming out

I also used Gentoo :hfive:

My first distribution was Slackware 4, followed by, lfs, Redhat (before it forked into Fedora), Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo, and then eventually settling on Fedora for the desktop and Cent for the servers.

I also liked JFS. :unsmith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I remember udev being a big deal and modifying the nvidia driver installer to work on kernel 2.5. :unsmith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pram posted:

there is not a single mac model with more than one cpu

The mac pro? :confused:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Mac pro has two cpus. What on earth are you talking about? :psyduck:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

blowfish posted:

how long have you been living under a rock?

Apparently a while. What the gently caress Apple?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Barnyard Protein posted:

for real tho, i've used a computer before where moving the mouse would cause a high-pitched whine to emit from somewhere. its not unreasonable to think that there isn't a market for an engineered sound production computer system. i'll call it the MacBook Pro. now entertaining investment offers.

I used a lovely computer and got a lovely result, so I bought a high end computer and got a better result!

NO WAY!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

also holy poo poo sshfs is so loving fast

You are welcome friend. Also if you can get to Cent7 and jump on the firewalld train like a cool and awesome guy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

yeah i'm using cent7 and things are starting to make more sense. looking at firewalld right now. the zones feature is pretty cool.

It's just a nice wrapper around iptables and you can still edit a xml file that has iptable rules in it if you really want to.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soricidus posted:

it's nice to see unity finally running on the hardware it was designed for i guess?

A poo poo interface for poo poo hardware.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol wine will always be terrible. Sorry. :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

how is Gentoo doing these days anywho

It's not Fedora or Cent, so who cares? :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Wtf lovely rear end distro are you using that it can't use USB?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I haven't had USB issues like that since the late 90s. What in the gently caress?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

theultimo posted:

Stating PS/2 is superior and usb3/FireWire is superior

They only other keyboard connection used today is USB and its not the problem here

For maximum input response I use 5 pin DIN. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

theultimo posted:

I wouldnt be surprised that some proprietary driver is using the keyboard and loving up the USB bus too

<3 Logitech for that poo poo, even on linux

Hell, even my Microsoft keyboards work fine.

If it's not applying to the HID standard, it's a gigantic pile of poo poo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

please join my twitter campaign to stop the involuntary proliferation of selinux to users who don't need or want it, #inselinux

SELinux is cool and good and everybody should use it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Torvalds is a Asperger's shut-in with no social skills. News at 11!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this not so subtle dog whistling about the proud finnish people will not be tolerated

Now let me tell you, I have lots of Finnish friends and they agree with me!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

seriously tho. why isn't this the case on linux like it is on every other major os out there?

just give me an .exe to double click to run something

You mean like the nvidia .run file?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

lol
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

Linux mint + cinnamon being target by hackers! Truly 2016 is the year of linux on the desktop!

TBF, anybody who uses Linux Mint should be targeted by hackers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Arm is great for embedded. Using anything but x86 for a Desktop is bad.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

current linux status: had a spare ssd so I decided to throw fedora on it. piece of poo poo can't get past the login without hard freezing and needing a reboot. i had an easier time installing osx.

Nvidia 750?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

uh... yeah actually. 750ti

That card is a really odd duck and I had the same issue with mine. I ended up having to drop into the console and install the nvidia driver that way. Works fine after that, and it's a lovely solution I know.

Every other nvidia card I have thrown at Fedora works fine, all the way up to the 980, but the 750 just doesn't like the open source driver. :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

I was about to just give up, but I guess I'll try installing a real nvidia driver.

Yeah, not defending Fedora on this at all, it's stupid and bad. Luckily the 750 wasn't a great seller. :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a better card because I'm beginning to realize this one sucks.

I was able to get the NVidia driver installed in single user mode after following a guide, but it crashes on power down or reboot now and also crashed when I tried to install Chrome.

I'm giving up for the night, might try my luck with something else tomorrow.

Odd, I haven't had those issues with my 750. Have you ran dnf update?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

yep. I don't think the other issues are related to the card. I couldn't reboot with "reboot" in single user mode either.

Oh, yeah. Is /sbin in your path? I think reboot is shoved in there

I always dropped to init 3 for poo poo like this, but it sounds like something is messed up from your install.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
2016 year of Linux on the desktop: except for 750 owners.