Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Greed is eternal posted:

install windows

install cygwin

do everything you'd do in linux but replace the commands 'apt-get' or 'yum' or 'pacman' with a nice GUI

get out of here, cygwin is terrible and super slow

just use a vm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like linux but uh

recently I decided to try centos and use gnome 2 again. it's been a long time since I used gnome 2 and... I think it actually got worse? idk wth is going on with that panel

centos svn package is so outdated and has a really nasty bug that kinda hosed me up

so that's my centos linux story thanks for reading

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 21, 2014

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it feels good to ssh to a linux machine

linux is rad

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
idk everyone I know who uses arch is kind of a douche

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's like one of those correlations

fedora hats, bitcoins y'know

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
ok I installed ubuntu gnome today so I can take a look at gnome 3, first thing I look at these updates after I just installed it and

what

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

my stepdads beer posted:

why did you install ubuntu. fedora 20 is a better gnome experience.

idk I'm used to apt also centos packages really let me down in a way that even ubuntu never really hosed me up so I'm afraid of the yum now

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
have a picture of 2014 year of linux on the symbolic buttstop

it's so white

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
*sigh* ok tomorrow I'll try fedora geez

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just as a reminder.

good linux, like people actually use to make money and not be laughed at:
  • rhel
  • centos
  • sles

middlin' linux, like beardos like on their desktops:
  • debian
  • fedora

crap linux is everything else. ubuntu earns a special place in hell though. it is literally the worst of the worst. it's a bait-and-switch, they promise you one thing and you get another. at least gentoo and arch are exactly what they claim to be

I've been using ubuntu and debian exclusively for idk how long. in my home mostly ubuntu with awesomewm because I didn't care really. like infernal machines said, I never dist-upgrade lol

I think the last time I saw ubuntu break REALLY HARD was in 2007 because of some xorg update shenanigan

so anyway I finally decided to try new stuff because I wanna be a hip linix person

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Wild EEPROM posted:

a cone with tits

I'm p sure you get it heh

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

spankmeister posted:

That looks like a script i would make which means it's really bad.

yeah :smugmrgw:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
current linix status: compared to centos and ubuntu gnome, I'm liking fedora better already

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I wish for a way to open a terminal window without going through the activities thing, am I missing something obvious here? (probably)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

oh duh, totally forgot I could do this

I was just used to having a console icon in the panel while I used gnome2 or typing windows+enter on awesomewm

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
suspicious dish ranted a few times already about yum but I feel the need confirm one of the points: it's ridiculously slow.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I know a guy irl who works for red hat and he seems to enjoy his job but I guess he doesn't like having to travel to the us sometimes? so yeah, if being in an airplane sometimes is the worst aspect of your job then you must have a good one.

he suddenly disappeared lately, I seriously hope he didn't die

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
you guys are really obsessed with this I bet you can't even watch humphrey bogart movies or indiana jones anymore without thinking of nerds

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
wow is it that bad? nerds ruined a hat

this is the worst thing.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
gonna switch to bonnet linux

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
coincidentally I saw some guy with a fedora today for the first time irl

yes, I had to take my android tablet out to take a picture of him to show you guys

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
you're absolutely right about the rest but why would you want good quality for that

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

Let me know if you find an app that uses the SECONDARY selection. I've been looking.

it's been a while but gvim used to do some weird poo poo with PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD that I never really got it. maybe it has something to do with me messing with setxkbmap at the time, I'll try to look at this again eventually to see if now I fully understand how X deals with copy/paste.

I just know I hate it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
that's sad because most of LWN's articles that I happened to read are good stuff.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
$ bc -l
-bash: bc: command not found

I hate when this happens. cmon guys, what the hell you're saving like 100KB of space to not include a standard unix utility? :saddowns:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Broken Machine posted:

What about dc, do they at least have dc

idk they have dc now but I installed bc so I'm not sure if dc was already installed before or not

I can't do poo poo with dc anyway

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

This system with the ability to download and install from a wide repository of apps at a moment's notice doesn't have an app I really care about preinstalled! I am really mad at this!

I hate e-mailing the sysadmin for these things

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the problem is that bc should totally be one of those utility unix things that is included in every linux by default like awk

I also have a beef with ubuntu not including rsync but I guess you could argue that it's not "classic" enough idk

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ahmeni posted:

why are you being so goddamn verbose when you should just be saying use Puppet and Splunk

because those names sound dumb as poo poo?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's minimalistic elegant design you swine

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I installed fedora on my laptop and I got some weird font issues but I can't reproduce them anymore

maybe the problem was solved when I did a yum update? :shrug:

oh yeah, I tried to install it with a dvd (I'm a dumbass) and anaconda exploded in the middle of the first try

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's my first laptop, I tried using the windows 8 that came with it but.... I just can't deal with it :negative:

I'm too old for this poo poo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
yeah the thing that uses some bespoke scripts with python and tmux

it seems bad about dealing with errors, in this case it was probably an error reading a package from the dvd I guess

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
suspicious dish I enjoy reading your javascript code, it's good poo poo (I don't really know any more references for good javascript code)

also thanks for making me an X window system nerd I guess

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
bash is ok

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol @ having interactive shells on servers

wait how do you do stuff in your servers then

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
reverse-i-search kicks rear end

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
‘wheel’

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

FYI, here's the computers we're building. They run Linux.

I'm at the office today while nobody else is because it's a nice place to chill that has p. good Wi-Fi while I'm in between hunting for apartments in SF. Sorry for the crummy camera pics.

yo soy la lengua española

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
hey suspicious dish, I don't want to sound condescending or anything and I don't know poo poo about guatemala but here's a crash course on brazil because idk, I think the markets may be way more different than you're imagining:

- lots of people do have a soft spot for windows xp, it's funny. it's kinda like how my dad has a soft spot for windows 95 being the best operating system ever. :shrug:

- brazil isn't a fully developed country but holy poo poo, the car culture here is almost as strong as in the US. there's a lot of incentive from the government to buy a car, and now with the emergence of a new lower middle class, owning a car isn't that big a deal as it was 20 years ago.

- in brazil we speak portuguese so be careful if you bring these computers with spanish boxes. I guarantee everyone will hate it because... that's a thing brazilians do, we hate the spanish language.

- desktop computers are kinda expensive, so people usually buy laptops. really lovely but cheap laptops like Positivo. idk the prices you're aiming for, but if you can somehow convince that they're better than those laptops then...

well the thing is, rich people have expensive laptops. not so rich people want to feel the same way (owning a laptop!), even if they never bring out the laptops out of their house. it sounds like a tough scenario to compete with.

- cheap samsung cellphones are ridiculously popular. I ride the bus everyday and man, it's like a 1/3 of the people have one, I'm not kidding.

- apple products cost like 3 times more because taxes. this is not true for EVERY tech gadget (see samsung being popular), there's something really weird going on with apple. anyway if you know a brazilian who uses an apple product then, objectively speaking, he's a total tool.