Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

I know all those things.

oh welp :eng99:

Suspicious Dish posted:

Of course we won't ship a Spanish product in Brazil: the boxes you saw were for Guatemala, as that's going to be our first pilot release for Mission. Our product currently has full Portuguese and Spanish translations, with Arabic support coming soon (for another pilot country).

ok, it's just that I've seen this kinda thing happen before. I don't know why foreign people have a hard time remembering that portuguese and spanish are different languages. as mj said, they just don't care about us :negative:

Suspicious Dish posted:

We want to build a cheap, luxurious PC for the lower-middle class there. We aren't going after the rich people

I tried to point out the tendency of people emulating the richer, I wasn't really considering the market for upper class people.

I never been in Rio, but just as an example, my family on my mom's side lives in a favela in São Paulo. it's not one of the extremely bad and violent favelas or anything. they're way better economically nowadays but they never moved. they (and their neighbors) got hugeass tvs now.

anyway it sounds like a great deal to me, I'll totally buy the Mission, it looks neat. but I'm not like everyone, I'm a dumb turbonerd. I'm not sure people would see these computers as a more attractive thing to save up money for than a lovely laptop. mr dog's pessimism at some points doesn't sound out of place to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I recently started teaching programming classes and people in there ask me all the time what distro I use

and the reaction to my answer is always a smug "heh". always.

linux users amirite

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bloody posted:

my distro is windows 7

I was seriously considering answering Mac OS Ten after the third time it happened but I'm a coward :ohdear:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
they're older and bigger than me ok

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Cocoa Crispies posted:

developing software is dumb as gently caress

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

syntaxrigger posted:

meh macs are moneypits unless you are doing graphics or whatever

I heard that adobe software on mac has been getting super bad in the last years, so idk

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
so I noticed that some of my students were opening the terminal and immediately typing su and I asked why, I mean, we were just p-langing some stuff

"oh, the linux teacher taught us to always be root, without it you can't do anything on the terminal"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's kinda funny how it looks like he's grimacing all the time in that video

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Ator posted:

please tell me how bad I am at linux
          |/

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ii oh el posted:

wut is the benefit of doing [\x20\x09] over [ \t]

the space is probably because of PCRE_EXTENDED. now why stuff like @ is written as \x40 I have no idea, I guess the guy was just being a dick.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm seriously pissed off that this gamergate bullshit is spilling everywhere like this

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

bobbilljim posted:

i miss ctrl alt backspace

but i havent needed it.

bascially

same

it was a cool thing that I used to show friends and be smug about

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
you can play ftl on linux

gently caress you if you need any game in your life other than ftl

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

BobHoward posted:

gl-ogists - geologists - mantle

whoa

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
http://blog.djmnet.org/2013/01/14/from-novice-to-master-and-back-again/ :3:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ugh

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mr Dog posted:

what bleeding-edge software do you need on a server exactly? absolutely latest and greatest postgres? like i'm genuinely curious here

get puppet to install your jvm or plang interpreter and load ur poo poo on top of that, i'm sure installing up-to-date versions of those things on such an obscure and esoteric linux server distribution as the latest-but-one version of RHEL is not an insurmountable problem.

lol if you don't use postgres own rpm and deb repositories for the latest and greatest updates

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
yeah I rarely use flash but the one or two times I opened some flash thing it totally killed my firefox. I also used to get some weird font issues on firefox but I don't think I've seen them lately.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

probably the top bar thing that is literally 90% empty space with a dumb rear end clock dead center

I like gnome3, it grew on me over time but this is a thing that bothers my autism tbqh

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Soricidus posted:

hmm yes, we will find many people who love radical change among the users of this conservative clone of a 1960s os running a gui system from the 1980s

unix is from the 70s :goonsay:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
windows 95 got poo poo? I remember everyone coming from MS-DOS or Windows 3.1 loving it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

am i the only one who finds env variables confusing, intimidating, and disgusting? i just dont like loving around with stuff that affect random processes randomly and i feel that poo poo should be in a config file. build systems are the loving worst in this regard.

was there ever any env-free os? or at least env-free build system?

I never really thought about this but you're right. it's like the cursed power of global variables out of the programming world right into your operating system

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

hell yeah, I'll create my own fedora remix that comes with bc :getin:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
so today I decided to upgrade to fedora 21 because I didn't have anything better to do... my packages were up to date so I ran fedup. it took loving forever. I didn't time it but the process may have taken more than 8 hours.

finally I started my newly upgraded os aaaand... it was super lovely. every time after logging in (took forever) there would be a message about a problem with the kernel. the whole system was unbearably slow

then I felt an almost deja-vu thing and decided to run yum update and I guess it solved my problems.

my impressions so far:

- fedora 21's default wallpaper is kind of bad. I never changed the fedora 20 wallpaper because it was nice but now I feel compelled to change this turd.

- I like how the terminal's window border is dark now

- it does feel a little faster and I appreciate it a lot :toot:

- before updating it seemed like gnome3 took away my 2/3 custom keyboard shortcuts but now after the yum update they're back. huh

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
- I like how gedit and file-roller looks now. they should do the same with eog now!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
fedora is a good system but the installation process is pretty bad

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt posted:

- fedora 21's default wallpaper is kind of bad. I never changed the fedora 20 wallpaper because it was nice but now I feel compelled to change this turd.

for reference, this is it:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Captain Foo posted:

installing a Linux on Christmas

merry linuxmas

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
wasn't neovim that got a lot of flak because they didn't want to support ms-dos lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

IPvSH6T posted:

loving freebsd of all things tries to install all of X and GTK with the default vim package.

who installs X on freebsd and who even uses GUI vim.

it's not even gvim, you can use the mouse on terminal vim

and to be fair on fedora there's vi (vim-minimal) and vim (vim-enhanced). I never noticed before that vim-enhanced comes with mouse support. but it's a little weird how it's not even enabled on /etc/vimrc (there's a /etc/virc for vim-minimal).

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I use vim-enhanced because you can't enable COLOURS on vim-minimal. I like colours.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
jesus christ

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

is your bash not actually bash?

it stands for Bespoke Artisanal SHell

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
sometimes I need to compile some latex poo poo. and every time I go install the stuff I need on a new computer it feels like I have to install more packages

$ yum list installed | grep texlive | wc -l

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I remember using yakuake and feeling real proud of it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I still hate centos for having ridiculously old packages with subtle bugs in it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I got an interview for a linux company

2015 year of symbolic butt on the linux job maybe

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Smythe posted:

i rly like gnome 3 and think its a LOT better of a window manmager than windows and osx and linux ppl are jus super freakin crtical and find fault w/ eerything oh well i guess YOSPOS bitch or something

same

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

cthulhoo posted:

reminder that gnome devs literally removed minimize and maximize buttons from windows because "they dont make sense" lmao

I'm surprised that I actually never noticed this. I guess I'm used to working with windows by pressing win+arrows all the time

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
stay strong bob

things are gonna get better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord