Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Awia posted:

im tempted to install arch
someone tell me why im an idiot

just read ur posting history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
just installed Fedora on a laptop I had laying around that was usually running win7/8 (poorly).

the installation was fast and smooth, sound works out of the box, mouse gestures work out of the box, FN-shortcuts on my keyboard work out of the box

i am amazed.

also, it's way faster on this than in windows.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

so is arch linux the best linux

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Celexi posted:

Yesterday i played dota 2 on my linux with fine graphics and zero input lag, and also streamed it to twitch.tv which added no performance hit either on cpu encoding or NVENC. looking back a few months streaming would add horrible input lag and grind computer to halt, also nvenc didnt work.

you were still playing dota tho

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

eschaton posted:

piling garbage on top of garbage doesn't get you not-garbage

- + - = +

so yes

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

It reimplements a Pulseaudio server, so it certainly can't be any worse. :ugly:

(Why is :ugly: not on SA? That's a grave oversight imo)

post a selfie and i'll buy it

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

how about one of linus sebastian

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

lmao

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

post hole digger posted:

gnome 40 is pretty good but would be a lot beter if it wasnt so touchscreen centric.

how big is the userbase for people who use touch on linux

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i like linux

lmao

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is as always a bigger problem that linux offers little (or nothing) actually better than e.g. windows to "normal" people, many would overlook some small issues if they got something substantial in exchange, and there is very little on offer ever since like xp sp2 got windows to a state of decent security and stability.

it's free ! ! !!!!

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

happy thanksgiving folks. im thankful for linus, and especially for making the best tech tips

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtsglXhbxno

kill me

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

Wow. Hostile gatekeeping and toxic reaction much. This does NOT reflect well on the Linux community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

RokosCockatrice posted:

I use zoom for work and it sucks so hard