Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

the only good non-headless linux is crunchbang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

arch was unironically the best distro back in 2004ish. it had the same bleeding edge packages that you'd find with gentoo except it was stupidly easy to install, and the community was nice back then

now it's poo poo. rip

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

awesome-express posted:

So Canonical wants me to come in for an interview

do i go?

y/n

do u want 2 work w/shadowhawk?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

actually i don't know if he works there but i know he loves ubunto or something

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

why is docker a thing

and why do people tend to base docker images on a humongous bloated piece of poo poo like ubuntu server that has like a million packages installed that you aren't going to need, then clonestamp it however many times on your server, once for every function it performs (and of course they all have to be administered separately)

embracing vm containers is basically an admission that your operating system is a piece of poo poo

coreos is supposed to be a better solution for this sort of thing, right? i haven't paid much attention to it

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

because they treat loving around with linux in its own right as a hobby, not a means to an end for getting actually useful poo poo done

basically they casually break core packages on the reg because they don't like the feng shui or some poo poo and expect you to follow a bunch of mailing lists to see it coming and then pick up the pieces when the whole thing goes tits up

stay the gently caress away from them

(otoh i haven't used arch)

the sad thing was that arch was unironically the best linux distro in ~2004. iirc it gave you the ability to have a gentoo-style installation if you really, really wanted, but of you just wanted the base os installed you just ran the typical installer and could pacman -Syu to upgrade all your poo poo and everything was built for whichever architecture. it ran great, the community was nice and helpful and people were frequently keeping poo poo up to date. at some point i guess the entire loving thing turned into what it is now which i imagine was some time between 2008-2010 after ubuntu had taken over everything and they could just be known as the sperg linux.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

aqua loving owned, bring it back imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

XFCE is the best windowing system.