Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we must secure the booting of our systems and shell scripts for init(1) children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

Debian is bad, don’t use Debian.

I’m using Debian right now op

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
trip report: it’s bad :negative:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
apt and dnf are bad in different ways, but apt at least has an actually decent package selection ui (aptitude)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Truga posted:

i don't really care about which i use (i'm more used to apt so i use that most of the time), but good lord why are dnf/yum often so slow?

because they update the package cache before doing anything

also iirc they’re written in python or something

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

afaict prime video basically refuses to stream above 720p on anything that's not a blessed TV or a fire tablet

even my goddamn chromebook they're like "nah"

dunno whether they're okay with windows desktop

works in safari on my macbook, op

well it did until I cancelled it in a fit of rage over the ads bullshit

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
80% of hostility towards systemd could have been avoided if they’d left dns alone and got someone competent to design the journalctl cli

(lennart presumably: “ok, so we’re going to force people to use one command to view logs instead of just reading files with whatever. what is the most important thing to show them? oh yeah, the fqdn of the system they’re running the command on, that deserves far more screen prominence than boring poo poo like ‘the actual log messages’. truncate those, they can scroll right if they care about nerd stuff.”)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I don’t remember seeing fully qualified domain names before journalctl, but more to the point nobody read traditional syslogs with less -S

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

fresh_cheese posted:

recursive acronyms are the waving red flags of “too up their own rear end to make any reasonable design decisions” which warn the user this is not a trustworthy technology for any purpose

vim isn’t moe

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

I want to marry my ultra wide

too late, your dad got there first

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

the gnome people have been threatening to switch to some sort of at least partially tiled window management lately, so it will be interesting to see where that goes

it goes to a world where I bother to switch away from the default desktop environment in my interactive linux vms, op

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

poe's law in full effect - i cannot tell if that "isn't that easy?" is ironic or not, because I could see a vim user genuinely believing that

for the latter type, every halfway modern text editor lets you hold down a modifier (typically ctrl-alt) to create multiple cursors, which will do this stuff trivially and more

or indeed just select a region and push a button to comment it out, except it also works when you’re editing things like html that don’t have line comments

note that in this case “halfway modern text editor” includes emacs too. (and probably vim, but nobody knows what the button is in vim)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
holy poo poo there are people who actually use nano for purposes beyond “I occasionally need to tweak text files on vanilla linux servers and it’s that or vi”?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

fresh_cheese posted:

thats been my plan as well

people are starting to call me a test architect though and im starting to feel like they may be earnest and not just calling me a useless dumbass and that worries me deeply

like, do not look to me for guidance on anything you dumbasses! i just have a very long list of bad ideas i know wont work.

“a very long list of bad ideas i know wont work” is more than most people have contributed to humanity

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

fresh_cheese posted:

i find perl terrifying

regex doesnt bother me

its the 30 different ways to do the same thing that bothers me

if you think Perl is scary, never try to format a string in python, the number of different ways to do it might scar you for life

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Claiming that anime is good despite all the evidence to the contrary is a pretty wild take tbh.

anime sometimes reduces the number of people posting in yospos, so it’s not all bad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
to: yospos-all
subject: re: re: re: unsubscribe

please remove me from this mailing list too

Well Played Mauer posted:

Thank you for updating your subscription preferences. Please allow up to 10 business days for us to completely remove you from our system.

DID YOU KNOW
Mozilla, developers of Firefox, maintain a shelter for abused foxes on their business campus in Lincoln, Nebraska. They only upgrade a full version number when a new fox pup is born. This is known as vulpine versioning and is commonly used in open source software projects.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

defaulting to xwayland to keep things working is indeed the point here.

and, yeah, just blocking the rendering thread is indeed bad, primarily because it doesn't work for tons of poo poo (i.e. a lot of games just crashing or otherwise getting screwed up, since that's not how things behave anywhere else), but it is also kind of dumb design that compositors take on power saving policy, and implement it by entirely blocking a thread in an application at an undocumented point (indeed for vulkan it is documented that this *must* *not* happen). it is the schedulers job to decide about that stuff, and no scheduler has historically worked like "oh, you did x, but i don't think x is meaningful at this point, so you'll just never run again now, no matter what you intended to do after the nop of x".

that really does sound extremely wayland tho

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
… the whole point of giving it a different name is that it guarantees that they cannot possibly break any existing sdl2 software even by accident, why are you so angry about the way they are accomplishing this

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

shackleford posted:

nah the proper GNU/Linux way to accomplish what you're talking about is never bumping the SONAME and adding fine grained symbol versioning information to newly added symbols and then not breaking the API exposed in the headers. this is how glibc works and why you can compile and link something against an old rear end libc.so.6 and it will run against a modern libc.so.6

if anything the SDL approach here seems kinda windows brained

except that your old thing also links against libncurses5 and your new linux has libncurses6 and it’s literally impossible to install libncurses5 alongside it because they require their data files to be in the same location but use different incompatible binary data formats (and nothing even uses the extra precision in the version 6 files, they increased some field sizes and broke compatibility entirely pointlessly because all the values anyone has ever wanted or will ever want can fit perfectly well in the old fields)

… I love linux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

so hang on a sec, if your distro doesn't use systemd then the backdoor doesn't work? or is redhat's description of the sshd backdoor just tailored to fedora + systemd because it's red hat?

we know how to trigger the backdoor in apt/yum-based linux distros with systemd, so we know those are vulnerable in specific circumstances.

we don’t know yet whether other distros might be vulnerable with different trigger conditions. they may well be safe, but it would be foolish to assume that.

the only sensible move is to patch everything this dude has ever touched.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

shackleford posted:

hey speaking of video codecs if you didn't like the chain of dependencies libsystemd pulled in, can i introduce you to literally anything that links against FFmpeg

dear maintainers, we believe we have greatly improved the ssh authentication experience by adding support for video banners, and urge you to merge these patches asap

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
imagine even knowing what filesystem you’re using, let alone caring, unless someone’s paying you to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
all those “vulnerabilities” they’re mitigating are just speculative anyway, wake me up when they actually happen :rolleyes: