Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i have a linux in a vm on my desktop does that count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

whats up with iceweasel

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mozilla is a dick about trademarks

oh ok

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i would consider using fedora for my linux needs if it wasn't called fedora

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

it's ok i think it pre-dates the internet fat people wearing them

cool fedora story: i used some copr things today for gnome 3.12 and mesa 10.1 they worked well. thanks community. thanks redhat.

i'm sorry but the damage has been done they need to rebrand

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i'm a sperg and mt coworkers and spergs in a spergy field and i still can't face the shame of using a linux distro called fedora

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ahmeni posted:

I do a little bit of UI stuff at work and i try to reject as many direct suggestions from my users as possible, understand pain points instead and bring a spiked out UI to a UX and it results in way happier people all around because I know my limitations (and am colourblind lol)

My last ui product directed by like 2 guys from management and implemented by deva and it was every bit as bad as you might think.

It also used office integration heavily

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I installed Ubuntu on a lovely VM and it ran so badly that I had to get the flashback thing and use metacity instead of unity

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Unity didn't even look any better so I'm not sure what it ews doing

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

eschaton posted:

does it somehow insist on drawing every animation frame, rather than timeboxing the animation?

I found it to be actually slow to like, open a window or something

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

admit it, which one of you is this

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

some great cultural awareness on display from the Linux crew itt

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I love wsl2, it lets me run the few bits of software i use that aren't cross platform easily.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is a tiling window manager lien the win+arrow key stuff in Windows?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

xtal posted:

I think it's like 300 lines? I used it for years and I don't even know C.

Edit: https://git.suckless.org/dwm/file/config.def.h.html

a totally sane way to manage your windows.

e: lol it's a xtal post, no wonder

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fargate on ECS is really great. the most attractive thing that k8s has over it for boring scenarios (imo) is being able to run a slightly more accurate local infra setup, but apparently localstack can help even with that.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

will 2022 be the year of the linux desktop?

you can now run GUI applications with wsl2 so it's easier than ever to run Linux desktop apps

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

it's pretty cool how you can use a good os instead and not worry about if your mic mute key will work or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ocean of Milk posted:

Having opened a js/ts thing in vscode recently I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually has "go to definition/ Implementation/references thing" and that sometimes it even works.

ime it works very well for TS codebases which don't do any weird stuff. in theory I think it can work for js ones as well that don't do weird stuff but I've never seen one of them