Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
install scientific linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
in it voted 5

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
scientific linux 6 comes with installations of texlive from 2007 and it is a 5gb install to update, and it is a pain in the rear end

linux is a pain in the rear end

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Breakfast All Day posted:

scientific linux is poo poo

last time i had to use it you couldnt even get modern versions of gsl or scipy without building everything from blas up manually

spankmeister posted:

don't use scientific linux

its what we use in our lab machines at the university so i use it in the house just to be consistent and so i dont need to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out how to do something in some other distro

everything about our computer setup is really bad

being forced to host our git repos on an internal server that can only be accessed on campus

jenkins is also hosted on that same server and has so many problems

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i just wanted to join in the fun, hold on and lemme find a pdf that opens up with a broken font

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i need a smallish netbook that has an ok battery and doesnt need to be very powerful, im ok with having a linux and im guessing this is a usecase for the chomebook but idk

http://www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-cb30-b-104-chromebook-intel-celeron-4gb-ram-16gb-ssd-13-3-silver/

is there anything else in that range that would be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

u can literally Just Start Typing without pressing any modifier keys. at least thast how it is on my excellente UBUNTU GNOME

did you ever find out how to do those foreign accent letters?