Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

newreply.php posted:

so, 2014 is drawing to a close. is it linux on the desktop yet?

its on my desktop, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

this is the most kde i have ever seen

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

anybody got any experience making web scrapers in linux?
i got a scraper made with c#+awesomium (ugh at the name) and i want to make port it to headless, gui-less linux. i want a browser engine but i don't want to install xserver, wayland, qt, or gtk. i just want dynamic html+js and they don't even need to render. the site i am scraping is doing some crazy ajax gymnastics with obfuscated js so doing the requests by hand is way too much effort.

any ideas?

ghost.py+beautifulsoup

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

im going to install mint over that fedora shite

lmao

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

redhat is getting gnome 3.14

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Smythe posted:

would fedora gnome wrk better ??

yes 10x

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

maybe i am dumb but why would you want RAID in software ala ZFS or BTRFS all my servers have a hardware raid controller already

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

so you run your software raid on your ec2 micro instance or whatever which is backed by SANs already in some kind of RAID like configuration? so the benefit is?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ZShakespeare posted:

Why can't I get the ux of kde combined with the handsome good looks of gnome in my open sores

i think the gnomes is usable what's kde do better

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

it does already?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

oh. I use fedoras it does on mine.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

after doing a lot of configuration management I wish everyone just used the one format. ini or toml or whatever i don't care.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kalstrams posted:

debian/ubungu then, or maybe centos, learning redhat cjing wouldn't hurt

it's all very similar these days. debian will be getting systemd next version so may as well learn it now with centos7

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

woah new trick. thank prma.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Ubuntu Install: click install along existing operating systems.

I've yet to janitor anything in /etc, or run a command as sudo that wasn't apt-get. The only reason I was trying fedora was because there policy of trying to push all changes back to upstream.

Edit: take that back. Had to add a directory to ldconf because lxqt rightly installed its libraries to /usr/local.

agreed ubuntu's installer is miles ahead of fedora's. but then ubuntu is terrible while fedora is pretty good. ps don't use kde you weirdo.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

and pacman is better than both of them but Arch does the whole rolling distro thing where they immediately delete old versions of their packages and MOOOOOM WRITING CHANGELOGS IS BORING

Changelog:
updated to version 3.4.1b

the iOS app store has this issue too. every single app has "bugfixes and improvements' in the changelog. lazy fuckers.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

in the past, nvidia's driver patched flash to make calls to gettimeofday return a fake date under certain circumstances since it made the renderer run faster. when chrome changed how the flash sandbox worked, this broke all websites: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=16800

i ran strace on some hung phpunit code today and it was 99% gettimeofday for some reason. god i loving hate php.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my linux experience has been too good lately i am thinking about installing fedora 22 alpha

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

just a friendly reminder that gnome 3 point sixteen is coming out this week and the most ownage desktop environment is about to own even harder gently caress yeah :rock:

they did something weird to the window decorations. firefox and terminal look different from epiphany and nautilis and most things for some reason. see attachment.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

custom titlebars are good, just look at chrome on linux VS knockoff chrome (firefox)

yeah I wish the firefox dudes would finish up the gtk3 port so they can do the same

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Symbolic Butt posted:

looks awesome to me tbqh

I even mentioned when I upgraded to fedora 21 how I thought the dark windows looked very fitting for stuff like terminal windows

i like the dark. i am commenting on the height of the titlebar.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Zom Aur posted:

remember when amarok was considered good?

amarok has always been terrible trash for idiots

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

lol that in Linux you're segregated to a set of applications unless you want to install a million qt packages

agreed

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think ansible is less-good than the alternatives, but almost any tool is better than no tool

ansible is comparable in power/flexibility but has far less recipes than chef or puppet and ones available on galaxy mostly target ubuntu, the server os for clowns.

my new favourite thing is using ansible-playbook --check --diff on the servers my co-workers are allowed to touch and seeing all the little things they change in the live environments and then shouting at them :3:

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 3, 2015

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah I much prefer writing new playbooks in ansible than the others

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ansible's error messages are pure garbage though when you make a syntax error in yml. especially when you increase verbosity to try and find out where and it gives you more verbosity about the ssh command and not the parser

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Athas posted:

Should I install Pulseaudio on my Debian laptop?

I do not currently have any problems with audio at all.

it's not standard? lol debian

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cthulhoo posted:

unironic defense of desktop linux itt

shameful

*tugs on suspenders* my, uh, fedora linux, you see, ~just works~ on my laptop *uses gnome3* *is retarded*

who told you about my suspenders

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm aware it should not be a tough problem. I am not the sysadmin in charge who bought our GoDaddy hosting plans.

I am working really hard right now to get the website back up. It's up without SSL at http://endlessm.com . Unfortunately, there was a 301 Moved Permanently to the SSL site, which means that you need to use private browsing to access the actual site.

your sysadmin is bad and you should feel bad

that said i wonder what you are making

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I'm almost always in a good mood myself. it's a nice way to live.

same. life is good.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

nice, gnome3 with a taskbar

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381437927/endless-computers

the kickstarter video has some video of the OS in use - looks nice

edit "our first prototype ran on andriod - it was terrible" lol

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 14, 2015

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Can we see some screenshots anywhere apart from in the videos?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Finally found the perfect use case for debian stable.

it's hosting your idiot developer's php apps so security updates are quick and reliable
pity their code is the security fuckup

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i wish go, a garbage collected language, was a bit more high level so I could push that for all new code. maybe D is the language I am looking for.

edit lol the major web framework only supports nosql properly. back to looking at java i guess.

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 17, 2015

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

it's amazing to me you all keep using bad-debian and debian on your desktops

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

currently can't get any work done because debian decided to regenerate every single locale and that takes over 40 minutes

it's currently on

sq_AL.ISO-8859-1... done
sq_AL.UTF-8... done
sq_MK.UTF-8... done
sr_ME.UTF-8... done
sr_RS.UTF-8... done
sr_RS.UTF-8@latin... done
ss_ZA.UTF-8...

why did a bunch of ex radhat people base their os on debian instead of fedora

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Rahu posted:

Gnome 3 question: is there any way I can make the screen turn off for power saving after x minutes without locking the screen? I cannae find the button to do that anymore.

Settings > Privacy > Screen lock

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

beer makes you rly fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

why haven't you packaged the spreadsheet up in a Docker VM yet?

use xenapp to push real excel to your linux desktop