Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

sb hermit posted:

I've been waiting for awhile for CentOS 8 Stream to get firefox 78.6.1 until today, when I just switched my desktop to Ubuntu 20.04.

That version is important because Firefox 78.6.1 is the ESR release that fixes the critical SCTP (yeah, I heard the joke) bug in 78.6.0. So I get the feeling that anything downstream of redhat itself may start getting the short shrift, but we won't know until the CentOS crowd migrates over.

At this rate, when my CentOS 7 servers get EOL, they'll get switched over to Ubuntu as well.

Or maybe I should just start installing SUSE as an excuse to learn German.

lol using centos for a desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i set up a freenas san recently, it's good. don't run the bleeding edge release though, eg https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/truenas-12-0-u1.1/

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

eschaton posted:

it’s not GPL for cloud it’s GPLv3 for cloud

what’s really needed is GPLv2 for cloud, e.g. “if you make changes to this and use it in a cloud service, you have to share your changes to it” instead of “you have to give away ever last bit of intellectual property within a mile of this code”

that's agpl

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

im the mysterious black cube at the heart of it all

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

greps of wrath posted:

I’ve got a couple vms running centos 8 for effectively toy websites and I’m looking to switch away after ibm decided to gently caress everything up. I’m on digitalocean so my options appear to be:
1) Debian. This has a lot of issues thanks to dumb patches from idiots
2) FreeBSD: this is a dead platform

Since this is just hobbyist bullshit I was thinking of going with FreeBSD but moving these servers is going to be a pain anyway I’d rather get something with a proper support lifecycle (i.e. why I picked centos in the first place). Is there a better recommendation? I can’t stay on centos and the alternatives suck. Thanks IBM

just keep using centos stream i don't imagine for a toy website it'll be significantly different

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

thinking about a system of d

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

nice. hoping we can get epyc or whatever for our next hypervisor refresh

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Tankakern posted:

btrfs is fine and of course you should turn off CoW when using it with a db or large vms

maybe fsync should be fixed instead

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

systemd is fine.

every distro using a different fuckin network config system though, and changing it every couple major versions? that can gently caress off forever.

systemd-network when

fake edit https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/systemd-networkd oh cool

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I use rg all day long, it's great. going to try bat now :tipshat:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

can you host exchange on linux yet

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

on leave until 9th jan, don't have to touch a linux until then 🙏

Adbot