Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think there's like a billion powerline shell extensions, so which one?

https://github.com/banga/powerline-shell this has a few symbols but no giant circle

sometimes there's a special font you need or you can't use some really limited font like fixedsys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mekkanare posted:

Ah okay, then it's this one: https://github.com/simnalamburt/shellder .
It's using the DejaVu Sans Mono patched font on urxvt, and looks exactly like the line in that image.

https://github.com/simnalamburt/shellder/blob/master/shellder.zsh-theme#L98

unstaged changes in the repo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i would love it if Thinkpads no longer supported linux because then maybei could get a good work computer instead of a garbage work computer

what about a Dell

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i thought inetd was bad

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://medium.com/@davidtstrauss/how-to-throw-a-tantrum-in-one-blog-post-c2ccaa58661d#.m6e7itrii

quote:

Ayer graduated in 2012, and his largest non-academic project is SSLMate. Having never worked on anything in the vein of init, PID 1, or anything similar, I don’t see why he’s in a position to say what the most compelling language and framework choices are for low-level system programming. He hasn’t even demonstrated sensible choices for his own projects; his website’s CMS is a custom one written in C++.

ruthless

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had to track down a 4.8 kernel package because i upgraded to 4.9 and it wiped my zfs kernel modules. then i spent most of the day learning kickstart and the libvirt tools and setting up a bridge interface.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol zfs on linux

nice license violation there

did they have a lawyer say what ubuntu doing was bad? this is just on ym fedora rig so i don't think there's any way i can do something illegal

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the problem is that because combining the products is a license violation, zfs on linux is a rare circumstance and there are very few users

it's almost totally un-tested. you might as well be running btrfs

i assume they have unit tests. it works on my machine

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had a problem with the fedora installer when it would just hang forever with a mdadm array and i had to unplug all of the drives and install like it was loving windows all over again. im skipping 25 on my local rig though. also cockpit never worked for some reason

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

then linux 4.10 came out and I downloaded it and patched it with MuQSS for CPU scheduling and BFS for IO scheduling and compiled it and surprisingly 1. it's fast and 2. it worked the first time

is any of that stuff worth a drat

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the jetbrains one maybe

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Rufus Ping posted:

gnome 3.24 is out and has a built in f.lux feature that works on wayland (unlike redshift)

so thats something to look forward to next year

or june if you use fedora

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fedora plays mp3s as of 25

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/3/31/641

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fedora wiped my zfs dkms stuff a while back and i had to track down older kernel packages. i wish it would stop the upgrade if it couldn't build the modules but idk how any of that stuff works

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

spankmeister posted:

You can always boot an older kernel

im a bit fuzzy on what happened, but fedora only has 1 kernel-headers package installed and i think it cleaned everything out when it triggered a rebuild. maybe i screwed it up myself but i remember tracking down an older set of kernel packages and pinning them to that version until zfs updated.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

spankmeister posted:

You have to install the metapackage for kernel headers instead of specific ones, that way it will always get updated with your kernel.

the kernel headers go into /usr/include instead of something versioned, so everything gets built against 4.9.17 headers (i guess)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

eschaton posted:

a perfectly reasonable attitude on their part when the Linux clown show won’t provide a binary compatibility guarantee of their own

incredibly funny xkcd comic punchline: and now we have 2 competing graphics abis

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont understand blaming linux for the bad distributions but i guess you know your poo poo .

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

packaging is stupid though and i hate how being the maintainer of like a thousand packages is seen as a point of pride instead of pain. i guess you like doing stupid poo poo with your life

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had to laugh at this https://soylentnews.org/meta/article.pl?sid=17/04/20/1055218

Two months ago, I polled the community for advice on the underlying operating system that should power SoylentNews (SN). After reading comments, and some recent experiences in my personal and professional life, we are migrating to Gentoo as the operating system of choice.

second place was freebsd

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i use zfs on linux

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

serious question why use xfs instead of ext4

it's the default on any of the rhel-likes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

zfs is still exciting in the sense that people probably dont realize that ext has snapshots

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think i was thinking of ufs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think you just press enter. windows has the same lock screen

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The_Franz posted:

or hit escape. or just start typing and it will go away.

it also has blinking arrows pointing up if all else fails.

oh eyah that reminds me, if you start typing your password in windows straight away it doesn't enter the letters when its doing it's animation but in fedora it does

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

speaking of Linux Isos, i guess rtorrent lets you daemonize it easier so i upgraded that. i ahd to spend like an hour figuring out why xml rpc didnt work and it was some autoconf issue so i just deleted the if guards around the code and it worked

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1212756 Uhhh

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm retarded about these things but it looks like you just cant lock the file twice. it looks like a easier patch to rtorrent to just use syslog

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's opened by systemd.

this is a stupid problem but you enter a file to log to and /dev/stdout doesn't work

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

el dorito posted:

I am the kind of person that wishes debian just symlinked /bin/sh to bash

especially now since systemd handles boot

i don't think any of the shells are good enough to be the one true shell. i havent' tried fish

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

el dorito posted:

I had an issue in Fedora last month where graphical logins wouldn't work after a system update.

A day later, there were a bunch of updates for X (I think) and that fixed the issue.

The worst part was that I couldn't figure out what was updated and how to roll things back, even after looking at the package manager logs.

Maybe I should just let updates cook for a day or two before installing...

you can try rolling back an operation with dnf history

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lol missed the "something unstable like fedora"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i don't trust those app store clones in linux

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

zfs is under development though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://github.com/zfsonlinux

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the xrossmediabar won an emmy

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

new gnome is always nice

dnf 2 fixes a bug or missing feature i had a while back that i cant remember now

fedora modular looks interesting but it 's probably a giant developer shop only feature

looks like mostly a big plumbing release though

i used clementine as a media player. it's fine but its no Foobar2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah i just disabled all that stupid poo poo. it's designed based on amarok, if you happen to be using kde