Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

this is a Linux rite of passage, you haven’t done anything wrong

not true, they installed linux, for one

and arch no less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if nothing else you've had the wholly authentic linux experience top to bottom so far.

i hope you found some varying and possibly contradictory suggestions for manual edits to config files that did not solve the issue either because the things they referenced don't exist on your system or because a minor version difference in some component means they no longer work as described

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sb hermit posted:

And anyone who is running apps as root should already know what they're getting into.

or is dumb enough that they're going to do it no matter how many chest high walls you put in their way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Comedy option:

Expose everything using a subset of SQL.

…unless?

the dream of winFS realized

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Wait, since when is any reference work "something you read from top to bottom" instead of quickly look through to find what you need?
I wanted to demonstrate the things things that set BSD make apart, and the manual page lists all of them, that's all.

Instead I'm apparently now Posting Enemy #1. :confused:

i think the idea is that if you present something as comparatively unique you should itemize the things you feel are unique rather than say posting a link to the entire reference document for the tool and telling the people you're conversing with to figure it out themselves.

otoh, the way you did it is true to the *nix experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is the guy that managed to build a wholly unsupported nested raid with all the redundancy of raid 0, completely by accident. even if he had chosen ubuntu he would have found a way to blow his own dick off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

honestly, i have no idea if that's his shtick or not because a lot of places seem to take him seriously, maybe it's just a joke i'm not in on, idk.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Faith For Two posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cikappa2904/status/1453391401027313672

lmao that the op of this tweet thread deleted his tweets.

I have one of the tweets cached. it says

I remember tweet 4/4 had a link to a bug filing on GitHub that the steam package was broken, and claiming that filing bug reports to package maintainers on GitHub is what normal users do when they run into problems installing software.

the follow up tweet ids basically the old thread title

https://twitter.com/cikappa2904/status/1453392127765983239

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Linus is the closest the youth of today has to a leo laporte or a Jerry Pournelle.

he is very chaos manner, yeah

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Private Speech posted:

he/they do decent reviews most of the time, but the edutainment stuff is, well, exactly that

it's not terrible edutainment as far as youtube goes

e: I haven't watched the linux thing yet though

was breaking the imac pro because he didn't understand how to open it a review or edutainment?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

linux is basically an evolutionary adaptation, like stripes on a hornet. everything about it tells you not to touch it because it is very unfriendly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BobHoward posted:

oof

linus is kinda a clown but he's not someone who got notoriety by writing reactionary/fascist scifi and parlaying that into being a tech columnist

even lumping laporte in with pournelle makes me cringe

let me know when linus "accidentally" shows a bunch of his dickpics on a stream

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, if he wants to be this generation's leo laporte he'll need to accidentally show his dick a few times

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Tangentially related to that, the reason X got its name is because it was one better than the W windowing system on an operating system called V.

Someone made a port of X for the i386, and called it X386.

Then someone else made a free implementation called XFree86.

you have to admire the incredible directness of the old naming conventions.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

open source is "hey what's up dudes s'cool if we take your work and just go ahead and like uhh charge money for it and stuff LOL also build our own closed source venture capital backed product around it haha? we're not into any of that nerdy political beard and protests free palestine stuff hehe we're just chill dudes who like to sip some brews and slam down some code just like you!"

:argh: codebros

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the whole thing about linus is he just does poo poo without knowing what he's doing and frequently makes a mess because of it.

someone said he's tim "the toolman" taylor, and that's 100% spot on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sound in linux worked before the ac97 chipset when everything was soundblaster/ess compatible, and then a while after after the ac97 chipset, when it was supported.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

windows has the microsoft store.

no one uses it, but it's there.

a lot of those old paid mac utilities are holdovers from some earlier version of macos before that feature existed in the os itself. for whatever reason they keep puttering along long after apple has integrated it into the os.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sb hermit posted:

the windows app store is unironically the best way to install iTunes

absolutely, yes.