Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pseudorandom name posted:

unless you have to install the bespoke network drivers from the motherboard DVD in order to download working GPU drivers

even then you'll have a usable desktop with full colour at the native resolution of your display. as opposed to having Xorg poo poo itself and dump you to a command line because it doesn't like your display chipset and the "3rd party" driver didn't install right.

hope you like using linx or wget to dig up your drivers and figure out which bug-of-the-month broke Xorg

bonus points if the 3rd party driver requires a custom kernel that just never boots your system again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol, i've had that poo poo happen in the last year on hardware that's maybe three years old.

Xorg and linux graphics support is still just as poo poo as every other part of user facing linux.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

most recently i had ubuntu poo poo itself over a mobile quadro chipset in a laptop and fedora just be a PITA about the wireless chipset.

i think the only fully working oob installs i've ever had were in vmaware VMs. which is handy, because i use those more, but also ridiculous

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

syntaxrigger posted:

this is more or less the idea.

i buy a machine that has pre-chosen hardware that should be no problems for linux then if i decide i hate myself i end up installing windoze

osx would be viable if i didn't feel so pretentious just looking at them

lol, at that point i'd just buy a macbook and get a linux that isn't complete poo poo. the point of using linux is that i have a random castoff laptop that i need to use for one specific issue, and it's poo poo for even that

p.s.: if you feel pretentious looking at macbooks it's because you're an image obsessed hipster dipshit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you're doing more than matlab and some perl one-liners, you probably want a real non-poo poo unix, not osx.

yeah, but i'm not and idgaf about whatever :qq:ing you want to do re: mach memcpy performance or whatever. i have a few rare use cases where i need *nix tools and i'd rather have something that works when i install it, then have to spend another hour loving with some busted-rear end driver poo poo because free software is literally worthless.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

theadder posted:

*begins the incantations to summon pram*

it's ⌘ + Option + P + R

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 8, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gently caress homebrew forever

word. :respek:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, if there's one thing we've learned about linux users, it's that they really don't want to be bogged down with the nitty-gritty of file management...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wow it's like windows vista but somehow less functional

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Soricidus posted:

sorry about your bad software, I hope it gets better. you're probably using an obsolete jre or a stupidly small heap though, java 8 is really fast with anything not written by clowns so maybe try that?

lol

yes, java is actually really quite good, but only if you use it this way. you see, you were holding it wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sauer posted:

It seems to work pretty good, except ... theme isn't actually being applied to everything and the window title bar takes up a lot of space and sound is muted every time I log in for some reason.

except it's desktop linux, of course it doesn't actually work properly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the thread in which yospos continually rediscovers all the ways linux is loving terrible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I have actually posted to the forums from one of these, no joke. IE5 for unix tm was p. fast

Even in 1995 it was better than osx. At least Solaris has a package system and you don't have to compile software on the spot like a savage

b.s.d do you have grey beard?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's a shame, it would really suit your posting persona

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, i really need to tidy up my filesystem...

i mean, there's libraries just everywhere!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and look at this! some of these files aren't even editable plaintext!

how the gently caress am i supposed to work with this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Soricidus posted:

it would be terrible if someone who will never use linux somehow found themselves using a linux

boy howdy, let me tell you...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pinebook pro: of course it's trash, it's foss

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is potentially really useful if you wanted to get openhmd/openvr to run on an rPi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a reply at the end of the ars review, they're no longer able to visit the factory and they've had to supply qa instructions that are then machine translated and given to the line workers, which has lead to some issues

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

God bless these weirdos

for real. i love that there are still groups out there making weird low volume systems for whatever reasons

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i just wish they had a more unique design aesthetic. i collect weird computers, and while what's under the hood qualifies, it's a terribly generic design

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sir, this is the linux thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what card do you have?

i did the 2004 update about a week ago and other than having to manually disable the xbox networking service, because it silently breaks l2tp vpns, it's been fine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's real bad. apparently that's not specifically new to 2004, but i never had an issue with the xbox service just running for no reason in earlier releases

Zlodo posted:

a 2080ti
maybe they fixed it, I did the upgrade like two weeks ago

i have an rtx 2070 and i upgraded when it became publicly available, but i upgraded my video driver around then too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

I don't have any issues aside from the power button disappearing from the start menu

what?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you broke your start menu op

i've still got mine. also my gpo that disables web searches/cortana still works.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

since people have started WFH i've had to specifically prevent them from shutting windows down.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

people remoting into their work desktops via RD gateway seem to develop a sudden urge to shut them down instead of just closing their terminal session, despite never, ever, having previously done so for any reason before

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i cannot reasonably ask "in five loving years you've never once pressed that button before, why the gently caress do you suddenly think it's a good idea now?", so instead i have to set a gpo that just doesn't allow them to turn off the computer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no kidding?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sorry you didn't catch the sarcasm there, i am aware of the gpo, hence the post two above yours where i say i implemented a gpo to keep them from shutting down the pc

i removed the rights altogether just in case they managed to find some incredibly obtuse way of doing it entirely accidentally

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

weast posted:

if i, for some reason, wanted to try using linux what distro should i bother with? it seems like ubuntu and all ubuntu derivatives are dogshit and that's usually what you see when you just search "what linux distro should i use"

any of the wsl2 packages should do just fine, you can get them from the microsoft app store or here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-manual

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

which one is a hip hop operating system?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a new bug murders your filesystem, may have been confused with rieserfs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

google amp ladies and gentlemen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you are mistaken, this is the linux thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lysidas posted:

i use zoom on linux 4-5 days a week, on kubuntu 20.04 on a 6th gen x1 carbon, it works great and always has with no janitoring, sounds like your holding it wrong

it's frankly incredible that it sounds like anything at all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

I think everyone can agree that they're probably going to be fine for laptops.

It will be interesting to see how they perform in high end desktops like Apple is currently offering.

apple offers high-end desktops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i like the way it's no longer possible to prevent certain models of computer from sleeping their network adapters, period, in windows 10. there are no power management settings that will prevent it, and no driver settings either. so if you expected the device to be always on for remote access, well, go gently caress yourself.