Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

Installed KDE. what the gently caress is going on with the icons in this tool bar

lol my icons on emacs are different from the open pane and way different than my thunar. i love theme hell.

really want to do a rice like those /g/ anime rice kids but with john cena or something. really can't be arsed to do that much theme work for a laff

imagine putting this much work into your cli themes
http://i.imgur.com/b6vOHT0.png

b0red fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

if you commit anything that wraps in my 80x24 terminal I swear to god

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

gnome 3 has crashed on me 3x and kde hard locked up my work laptop today. those events, plus the ugh.pdf's effect on my easily influenced mind have me wanting to go back to win7. ... next year

just give in to the tiling wm.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

celeron 300a posted:

If you are "theming" your cli more than just changing text colors than you should just use a gui.

I feel that if linux on the desktop is ultimately a cli then that's a fitting end to this effort.

I couldn't imagine the amount of time spent trying to make a decent color scheme/entire theme with hex codes. I apply Molokai to literally everything. if someone hasn't built a Molokai theme for it. it's not themed.

Linux on the desktop at its best is just some terminals/emacs and a web browser.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

sometimes my terminal takes 5 seconds to 'ls'

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

MayorOfFrance posted:

check for busted symlinks in your home dir

i think it's because i mount my server's ftp with curlftpfs in my home so it just works like a folder and i can cp/pv poo poo in and out of it. I guess I should just move it

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

lol not using sshfs or nfs.

was unaware. will probably switch if they're better

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Why would anyone buy a mac when you could buy an MPC2000XL and get the same thing for making music.

i've also decided to try emacs for awhile since i'm tired of dealing with vim plugins and emacs has most the poo poo i want built in.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

any uni that teaches 3d animation should just get their compsci department to build them a render farm.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

so why does centos let traffic through my bridge interface when it is supposed to be processed in nfqueue.
code:
iptables -I FORWARD -j NFQUEUE -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged

poo poo works fine on debian with this command. No traffic gets through the bridge unless something (suricata, snort, etc) is in nfqueue mode. I don't think there is a command to disable bypass, I know there is one to enable it if nothing is processing nfqueue.

i've started using centos more and i loving hate it. mostly because I have no idea where anything is since I've been a Debian user for 8 years or so

b0red fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 2, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

b0red posted:

so why does centos let traffic through my bridge interface when it is supposed to be processed in nfqueue.
code:
iptables -I FORWARD -j NFQUEUE -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged
poo poo works fine on debian with this command. No traffic gets through the bridge unless something (suricata, snort, etc) is in nfqueue mode. I don't think there is a command to disable bypass, I know there is one to enable it if nothing is processing nfqueue.

i've started using centos more and i loving hate it. mostly because I have no idea where anything is since I've been a Debian user for 8 years or so

i hate everything
code:
sysctl -w net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables=1
also holy poo poo sshfs is so loving fast

b0red fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 2, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

is anyone else excited for rocket league to be released for linux this month? they are scheduled to release the xbox one version at the end of the month and the mac/linux version is coming before that. so any day now....

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

You are welcome friend. Also if you can get to Cent7 and jump on the firewalld train like a cool and awesome guy.

yeah i'm using cent7 and things are starting to make more sense. looking at firewalld right now. the zones feature is pretty cool.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

craisins posted:

shared crap on my home server is all samba because I have poo poo talking to it from a bunch of OSes and I don't feel like figuring out sshfs on Windows or trying to get it set up on my wife's MacBook.

otherwise: probably would

You may be in luck soon enough
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ItsHappeningOpenSSHForWindowsfromMicrosoft.aspx

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

thank goodness tuxracer had touch support. when I think Ubuntu, I think quality open source touch games

b0red fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 5, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I should probably learn to use docker but I don't see the point right now. seems like a pain in the rear end to setup networked poo poo. is there anything to control docker like virtual box? I don't want to learn another cli utility, I've hit my threshold for the week. you can give containers their own bridged interface into the network right? unique ip and all?

b0red fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 7, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

what do you guys use to edit id3 tags?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a time machine to 2007

lmao. audacity will let me tag poo poo I rip myself but not everyone keeps their library as nicely tagged as myself. db9 doesn't really enforce tagging as hard as what so a lot of old dnb is untagged which leaves me searching for a decent id3 editor.

kid3 looks like it'll suite my needs

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

can't buy dem choonz m8.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

theultimo posted:

Laptops that never move and basically desktops yeah

lol thank god i haven't seen one of these in two years. nothing but problems if you try to dock or undock. You might as well reboot if you plan on taking it off the dock. so many xrandr scripts..

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

lol
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

quote:

I’m sorry I have to come with bad news.

We were exposed to an intrusion today. It was brief and it shouldn’t impact many people, but if it impacts you, it’s very important you read the information below.

What happened?

Hackers made a modified Linux Mint ISO, with a backdoor in it, and managed to hack our website to point to it.

Does this affect you?

As far as we know, the only compromised edition was Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition.

If you downloaded another release or another edition, this does not affect you. If you downloaded via torrents or via a direct HTTP link, this doesn’t affect you either.

Finally, the situation happened today, so it should only impact people who downloaded this edition on February 20th.

Linux mint + cinnamon being target by hackers! Truly 2016 is the year of linux on the desktop!

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

it's no intel NUC....

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

pram posted:

the champagne of mini computers

the miller high life of computers

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

theultimo posted:

the Busch light on computers

bsd is more of a natural light imo, maybe a keystone

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

So I got a bunch of python and ruby poo poo that all ties together into one cohesive thing. Am I insane for thinking I can package this into a .deb or ppa? I just want it to dump all the ruby and python files in the proper locations and my .deb will tell apt that I need it to install a bunch of dependencies and than installs all the necessary gems and pip files.

http://chat.stackexchange.com/rooms/663/conversation/the-basics-of-packaging-on-ubuntu-packaging-part-1
http://chat.stackexchange.com/rooms/663/conversation/ubuntu-packaging-for-launchpad-ppas-packaging-part-2

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

im super wet behind the ears with building something like this so it crossed my mind but it didn't seem right. thanks

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a terrible idea, just completely loving wrong

you can't make an OS package that relies on poo poo like rubygems and pypi, it just doesn't work. (not that it hasn't been tried: rpm experimented with integrating CPAN and it was a disaster.)

yeah. if the whole thing was written in C this might make some sense

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you want to distribute binary packages, you need to worry about the details

in python, the canonical method is to use 'virtualenv' to package a complete pre-built set of libraries.

in ruby, you can do the same thing with 'bundler'. ruby also has 'omnibus', which will package a complete ruby runtime with all C deps in addition to the ruby dependencies.

bear in mind when i say "package" i just mean "poo poo out into a directory." you still have to write scripts and poo poo to make an OS package out of it

Cheers. I should probably start hanging out in the terrible programmers thread more.

I've been getting pretty interested in trying to hide data in regular network packets like icmp and I thought this guys linux raw socket examples were pretty neat.
http://www.pdbuchan.com/rawsock/rawsock.html

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I've always wondered what the Chinese net is like. I'm sure their dark net is a bit more active. or maybe they just get past the great firewall and participate in the rest of the net.

never buy Chinese knockoffs.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the chinese counterparts to facebook, twitter, etc are extensively censored.

I'd assume they have some sort of 4chan, reddit, poo poo vbulletin site clones as well. I wonder if their tor network is more popular due to the amount of censorship they have.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

knowing and using vim and emacs is p easy. literally takes like 2 hours to get past the weirdness of learnign one of them. than just write down the weirder stuff and sticky note it on your monitor

it just feels dirty and cumbersome using nano

b0red fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 9, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

bash scripts rule everything around me.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

god drat it should obviously be bash rules everything around me you idiot

how could you gently caress that up?????

gently caress

but really. i've been writing a bunch of bash scripts to help automate our image builds. hasn't been v fun

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Truga posted:

Use bash to write one-liners to solve trivial problems or invoke things that would take ages to do manually.

For actual scripting use an actual scripting language. Python works pretty well for me these days.

I've been doing a nice mix of python and bash but gently caress bash

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

terminals and shells have rolled backwards. xterm is less good than a vt520. bash is less good than ksh93.

when it came time to modernize, and re-do 1970s tty infrastructure for window systems, people only implemented what users asked for. nobody really needed the crazy features in a vt520 or ksh93. licensing and ease of implementation turned out to be a lot more important than the features dreamed up by commercial entities of the 1980s.

So what are some of the cool features we are missing out on these days? genuinely curious

b0red fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 15, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I use xmonad and it does what it needs. it was a pain at first to copy and paste what I wanted into the config file but I haven't edited that since the first week I installed it.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

external monitors are just a shitshow in linux. always

everything is a shitshow.

external monitors with laptops only ever just worked for me when i learned all the poo poo xrandr could do than wrote some lovely bash script to work exactly with the few monitors I always used. but I don't use linux on a laptop anymore because it sucks and creates a lot more headaches when you can just use a desktop with an ethernet connection.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

it's over boys. pack it in. we all have seen the news. rip

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

well i moved to the steamos kernel & video drivers and it broke my dmenu. wonderful. looks like im launching poo poo from terminal till i figure it out

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

maybe ill just use this time to try fedora and see why you guys all use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

lol gnu/linux

dmenu isn't really that essential and gnome still works fine. it's just my special snowflake setup broke which is expected sometimes

Mr Dog posted:

more like "i mix and matched random poo poo to build some special snowflake setup and it didn't work out of the box lol linux"

tbh it's not even that special. just wanted to see if the latest steamos poo poo would give me better fps or something.

Mr Dog posted:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dmenu

"essential thing"

i've never even heard of this poo poo before today

ffs just use gnome like what passes for a linux-desktop-having normal person. or don't complain when you have to manually set that sort of thing up.

how much do you want to bet the author of this dmenu thing has Systemd Opinions

wasn't really complaining. just kinda like lol since steamos is debian based so was hoping it'd go well. dmenu is good though.

b0red fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 31, 2016