Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

trilljester posted:

Edit your /etc/inittab and change that bitch to runlevel 3.
code:
cat: /etc/inittab: No such file or directory
sysvinit seems like prolonging the inevitable. dehumanize yourself and face to systemd

celeron 300a posted:

for a lot of the fundamentals, it is still surprisingly relevant, and it's interesting to thumb through to see how it evolved

keep in mind that the biggest change between then and now is the introduction of targeted policy. This means that servers and services, which come with selinux policies, have selinux policies enforced against them. A normal admin running a shell as root has no restrictions and can do whatever.

Will probably give it a better read then when I get some time. Cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

coincidentally, nobody has used pxe boot in the last 10 years

it's a great way for windows computer touchers to image laptops imo. my first part time gig in high school i set one up with the one lady shop, was kinda of cool and definitely makes life easier. had the ability to boot a few linux rescue discs with it as well

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

embarassing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbABy9ul11I

b0red fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 15, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

galahan posted:

My case cost more than your computer, :smugdon:
Did you check the pc part picker, intel or gpu threads at all? I have the computer building itch, but I dunno if I can do it before win 10 stops being free (the 29th)

Are the only easy 100% Linux compatible machines macs or those 2 website builders?
Usb 3.0 isn't supported? My nexus charging! :negative:

If you're going to build a desktop and want to use linux, Intel/Nvidia is the least amount of hassle. The only other thing you'd have to worry about would be wireless card, onboard ethernet almost never has an issue.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

kalstrams posted:

i dont even know what for you'd objectively want amd over nvidia/intel nowasays

more cores!!!!

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Rooney McNibnug posted:

one of my gigabyte MOBOs despises any bootable linux for some reason.. :smith:

look around for the legacy boot option or some poo poo. i can't remember exactly but it was something like that with my gigabyte mobo that would stop linux usbs

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

alias gently caress='sudo $(fc -ln -1)'

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Tankakern posted:

why would you make this alias instead of just writing "sudo !!"

less key presses

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

kalstrams posted:

getting shamed for janitoring my linux in the lotd thread, smh

what were your flags for compiling. 9/10 when i compile poo poo from source, i don't give it the proper flags and my LD_CONFIG fucks poo poo up or they want me to add some poo poo to it, idk. Some stuff is easy to compile from source but dependencies can be a bitch.

kalstrams posted:

yeah but i really like janitoring computers, i reinstal oses and fix random poo poo for fun. setting things up and/or getting them work is p rewarding

make some chef community scripts. also i do as well and do it has become part of my job description.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

kalstrams posted:

i wasn't even bothering with flags, just the usual configure, make, make install charade, primarily. the only thing that didn't compile compile properly was vp9 and i didnt feel that involved to follow up and see what was the problem. i got stuck a bit on some of the things not finding their way to compiling the ffmpeg in itself, and around the time i was looking into it not seeing freshly compiled x264, i noticed that it was loving hell o'clock :v:

i'll check chef out, looks cool, thanks for the heads up

p much anything that is a dependency is gonna need some flags in my experience. stuff that depends on other poo poo doesn't really matter but dependencies always gently caress up since they don't know where your OS maintainer decided to put poo poo. Is it /usr/local/bin? or /usr/bin/? etc.

chef is pretty great though. v nice to just automate stuff you do a lot

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pkg-config is meant to fix this, and it often does

haven't heard of this before. looks like it might save me some headache if i have to compile any stuff in the future. cheers

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

spent sunday learning more selinux and have 4 pages of notes but I still can't write a basic policy :downs:

b0red fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 12, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's less important to write policy than to be able to troubleshoot policy

rhel/cent/fedora come with a ton of prewritten policy, but it often takes tweaking to make a policy work for your specific application

(e.g. adapting pre-existing tomcat policy to suit your jetty-based app)

Yeah I don't seem to really have a problem adapting the system to work with generic applications like databases & web servers. I'm just hoping to eventually get to the point where I can write some policies for my companies product. So far I've started by trying to write a policy for tranmission daemon and it's web gui. P interesting stuff

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

once you get past customizing a few things, xmonad becomes really cool and good.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Crusader posted:

yeah, I dug xmonad a lot - i was just too lazy to do the haskell configuration needed to make floating windows work the way i wanted :(

yeah it took me like a month of just getting frustrated enough with things and finding someone else's solution/close enough solution to adapt it because gently caress writing haskell. i really need to start backing up my dot files.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

so moving a uefi ubuntu installed hard drive from one computer to another doesn't allow it to boot. grub doesn't even show up. 2017 is definitely shaping up!!

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

The_Franz posted:

uefi has a fallback to look for a boot loader in EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi (which is where everyone else puts it) if there is no entry or a bad entry in nvram, but for some reason ubuntu installs it in a different path so the fallback behavior won't work.

yeah ubuntu doesn't make that. figured that out like an hour ago. cheers tho. wish i had checked this thread earlier

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

ubuntu sounds like a big leaky sack of fail

it's loving awful but i've finally got our product on centos and a few of our customers on it. things are looking up although i'll still have to manage a few ubuntu customers for awhile.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I don't believe it. Linux external monitor will always gently caress poo poo up

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Apocadall posted:

i'm running an nvidia optimus dual video card thing in my laptop, automatically worked when i plugged the 2nd monitor in

my screen brightness buttons don't work though, i get to change that through the console

the screen brightness thing is probably fixable through your window manager. probably some way to bind those keys to the commands.

can it clam shell though, unplug the video out and go to sleep?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

wow ansible is great. idk if i was just dumb with chef but ansible was much easier to hit the ground running.

b0red fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 11, 2017

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

wow tapping into the ansible api is a bit more complex than setting up paramiko but than you can use all the modules. shame the docs on it are not that great but reading the source hasn't been to painful. beats jinja'ing yaml files i guess.

also all linux desktops are really bad at 4k scaling besides kde atm, gnome3 is barely okay.

b0red fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 4, 2017

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Tankakern posted:

funny you should mention that, kde sucks a bit too if you have docking!

you have to manually edit .config/{kdeglobals,startupconfig} and set the scaling manually if you happen to have a computer where screen connectors can appear and disappear, or else plasmashell might end up using 100 % all the time, or scaling might be hosed when dragging windows between monitors...

(works like it should if you just change it to e.g. "ScreenScaleFactors=2;2" in kdeglobals and kdeglobals_kscreen_screenscalefactors='2;2' in startupconfig if you have two monitors, normally those two vars lists all your monitors with individual scaling...)

Yeah saw a lot of people bitching about mixed scaling with laptops. Seems like a bit of a nightmare. I'm not familar with the graphical stack in the slightest but it would be nice if this was something left to the graphics card drivers/manufacturer. nvidia-settings was the first place I started looking for decent scaling settings. seems to be some xrandr/font changes you could do as well. mostly seemed to depend on how barebones you are going. to many arch posts of tiling kids with nothing but firefox, terminals and mpv.

gnome is laughable with their lack of decimal scaling. just 1->2.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

G-III posted:

I loved using Ubuntu on my desktop until I upgraded to a 4k display. At that point the integrated graphics on my MB wasn't enough to get ubuntu to run smoothly at full resolution and for the life of me I can't get any nvidia drivers to work right so that I could use my 980ti. So I'm back on windows and that sucks but that's how it goes.

That's my linux 2017 story.

i have never had a good 4k experience on linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

fresh_cheese posted:

the best laptop experience is to use it as a remote desktop viewer so you can close it and get more beer for a while as things happen elsewhere on teal computers

mac/win/linux is kinda irrelevant imo

waypipe