Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

at the risk of introducing even more instability into an already questionably stable DE, I use PaperWM and it makes Gnome tolerable for me :unsmith:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/30424662/221416159-464d7512-5174-451b-9035-0ee84f9eb4ec.mp4

that and VShell to let me search windows easily

but I also have a 4K monitor and aspire to get one with >60Hz and VRR / HDR so it sounds like I'll probably also want to switch over to KDE at some point in the future. I like my infinitely scrolling desktop :smith:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ziasquinn posted:

so true....

looking at this just makes me worry about multi-monitor mixed DPI support

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

didn't know the DE wars have gotten this bad

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Progressive JPEG posted:

the one thing still holding me to x11 was synergy. but at some point x11 started completely freezing one of the machines, especially in the middle of gmeet calls. meanwhile wayland worked fine and even felt less laggy overall

at this point i'd had enough of dealing with x11's bullshit just for this one thing and so over a couple weeks i made a better-performing/wayland-compatible synergy replacement based on uinput and quic

this is cool thank you for sharing

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Perplx posted:

macOS is the only mouse optimized os since like 2012

yeah until you discover features like "show hidden files" or "apply wallpaper to only one monitor" behind keyboard shortcuts that require searching the internet to find, setting defaults in the terminal, or context menus in places that are extremely non-obvious

not to mention the whole "drag this tiny icon that you didn't know you could drag" ui

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

mystes posted:

If you have a time machine and the United States still exists for you to have to worry about RMS you're doing it wrong

牛羚/利纳克斯

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

zfs is good and more distros should support it as an option out of the box

I wish they'd fix the write amplification and high-end NAND performance issues though. seems like a long standing issue

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Poopernickel posted:

no, you see they called it ext4 because they discovered it in the year 2004, the next one will be ext31

cracking open the sealed vault beneath Hoover Dam to reveal the last word in file systems, ext3000

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

shackleford posted:

wtf is going on to the right of the backspace key

gotta upgrade to the more premium trim

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:same: pipewire is pretty cool and being able to edit OS level audio routing directly with qpwgraph is great

I just wish I could screen share with audio reliably :negative: but I think this is a Wayland issue?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

hbag posted:

it seems my volume can go above 100%

fascinating

spinal tap's distro went to 1100%

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Explicit-GPU-Sync-XWayland-Go

thank god this is finally merged. recent nvidia drivers have made wayland flicker real bad

shackleford posted:

lol at this being at the top of the list

lol

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I wish PaperWM had a KDE version so I could try it there

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

on my first Linux I enabled compiz to get the wobbly windows, played around with it for a few minutes, then went back to Windows XP to play SimCity 4 :shobon:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

does that theme use a hand-hinted pixel font for that aesthetic or is it trying to use MS Sans Serif without anti-aliasing?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

FlapYoJacks posted:

Not caring about fonts is the cool thing to do

:wrong:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

though tbh among things apple did that i hoped would spread and stick (but instead didn't stick even at apple) was to go "ok, we can do higher resolutions, what do we do? let's go strictly for the next integer up, same dimensions"

the "eh, everything will be vectors" movement was sufficiently wrong that they are still wrong in this fractional hellscape.

doesn't Apple ask for integer scaling with assets and then does fractional scaling with the GPU so everything looks ~okay?

I'm still stuck in "100% desktop scaling, 150% browser zoom and electron zoom" land myself :lofty:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Sapozhnik posted:

the objectively correct logical pixel standard for computer monitors is 2560x1440

what about 2560x1600? :manning:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i got a bit of extra consulting cash this month and thought "oh yeah, i'll buy the good 4k 27" oled to round out my monitor setup". turns out that's basically not a thing that exists. and i cannot fathom why.

if you’re okay with 60Hz there are a few available now (starting here and scrolling down https://www.displayninja.com/best-oled-monitor/#Philips_27E1N8900)

but if you want high refresh rate then yeah those panels are only available in 32” or ultrawide

considering how paperwm / gnome handles multiple monitors with different DPIs I’ve been thinking about ditching multiple monitors and getting an ultrawide that’s 2x 4K monitors wide when my 2011 Ultrasharp finally kicks it

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

BobHoward posted:

yeah, in apple world fractional scaling only happens at the last moment, when the final composited frame buffer is copied to the real frame buffer. in non-integer-scaled modes, that copy involves a rescale as well

they do some kind of dark magic in their filtered scaling algorithms to make it look a lot better than you'd expect, even when doing things lots of scaling algos suck at. i used to daily a macbook air m1, whose native panel resolution is 2560x1600. treating this as 1280x800 @2x doesn't fit enough content on screen, so apple's out of the box (and my daily) config was 1680x1050 @2x. even though this meant the air was resizing the virtual 3360x2100 frame buffer down to 2560x1600 (a weird 1.3125 ratio), i always thought very thin lines still looked good. not quite as sharp as a non-scaled mode but still good

ah yeah that's what I had in mind, thanks. I'm also using a MacBook Air M1 as my travel computer and it defaulted to 1440x900 for me (so 1.778 ratio?) and it looks ~fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

outhole surfer posted:

linux cursed me to a life of misery. gently caress linux.

it could be worse. it could be mac os