Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if red hat does it, it doesn't matter if it's stupid, the whole world is gonna have to pick it up anyway

see also: systemd, gnome3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i unironically miss smf

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you could do worse than arch

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oval office AND PASTE posted:

the community is the worst, even if you've done literally all you can do they will still find a way to poo poo on you and tell you how much you suck for not being able to figure it out yourself

the centos community is basically the inverse. the people who answer questions are great. the askers are the worst

WHEN IS THE NEW RELEASE OUT?
IS THE RELEASE OUT?
UGH WHY ARE THEY SO SLOW, WHEN IS THE RELEASE OUT?!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a valid question.

it's a valid question for someone, but probably not the community support channels

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oval office AND PASTE posted:

gentoo: literally compile everything from scratch

arch: who fucken cares here's the most common poo poo and you can compile just the small stuff

ubuntu: fartz

linux mint: you might as well just run windows vista

i reject the false equivalence that makes ubuntu respectable

arch, gentoo, and mint are all non-enterprise shitsack distributions, but they dont deserve to be grouped with ubuntu.

broken out of the box, for three years at a time. LONG TERM SUPPORT

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
screenshots are the primary use for a linux desktop

also the primary use of linux productivity apps. gotta screenshot the fact that you are able to open an office document / pdf

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the desktop wars are over, kde won

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah. Think of a typical Linux engineer. Opinionated, has a long beard, loves using "Crapple" and "Micro$oft". "GREEN IS MY PEPPER" is the best joke the world has ever heard.

Now build a company out of 5,000 of them.

tbf even in the "good old days" i am pretty sure this is what Sun looked like, too

you can't have unix without beardos

(if you try, you end up with osx. nobody deserves that)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Instead, everyone with upload rights is just a developer and can upload any package to Universe or to Main+Universe.

wow congrats you just showed me ubuntu was worse than i thought

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

... And that's exactly why I'm here at the west coast summit. Lennart, Kay, Greg, and a bunch of other hackers are here and we're discussing Wayland and kdbus and app bundles and sandboxing.

like most red hat things, the red hat conference owns

i had a pretty good attendance streak but moving it to the west coast made it too inconvenient this year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

why is docker a thing

and why do people tend to base docker images on a humongous bloated piece of poo poo like ubuntu server that has like a million packages installed that you aren't going to need, then clonestamp it however many times on your server, once for every function it performs (and of course they all have to be administered separately)

embracing vm containers is basically an admission that your operating system is a piece of poo poo

afaict docker is embraced exclusively by people who don't understand
  • patching
  • auditing

not coincidentally, this is the exclusive audience for ubuntu.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
docker is solving a problem i've never had: "gee, i feel like i know too much about what's in production. would it be possible to make all applications opaque containers?"

even the metaphor is broken

we ship cargo in interchangable opaque containers because we assume the sender is non-malicious and the containers will spend their time isolated on a container ship or behind walls in port facilities

application lifecycles don't really work that way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Docker allows you to run multiple Apache instances on one machine, without a full virt stack. That's a good thing

why is this a good thing?
how do i patch it?
how do i know when it needs to be patched?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm old enough to have done this "containers without virtualization!!!" thing several times now

technologies i have known and hated to varying extents:
  • freebsd jail(8)
  • user-mode linux
  • virtuozzo
  • solaris zones

afaict, lxc and docker are less capable than three of the things on this list, in that i can't even rely on the host to audit and patch the guests

being worse than bad technology that has been abandoned by the industry isn't a good start. you have to make a case around how docker is different from all the (extremely similar) things that have come and gone

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it does not sound like you're very familiar with zones or jails.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Your dockerfiles are all inherited from the same upstream. When your upstream pushes an update to its dockerfile, you can rebase on top of it. It's not different from the package model.

so i have to trust upstream OS images to do all patching, re-base, and re-deploy?

that sounds awful but it beats the hell out of what I was expecting (absolutely nothing, because this is never mentioned on intro pages, and gently caress, anyone who uses ubuntu doesn't pay attention to support policies anyway)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
suspicious dish is too smart to be suckered easily, so i was driven to investigate docker

its a shitshow but people are at least starting to talk about openstack integration and poo poo that could matter to non-startup-dipshits. moved from "utter bullshit" column to "pile of miserable techie wank" column in my head. also known as "poo poo to watch"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
politics are the point of debian

its a real democracy with hundreds of committees. democracy is ugly. the products are not.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Debian tech committee members "should" go jump off a bridge, tia

i just try not to look at how the sausage is made

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

also debian is good despite because of the committee stuff

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
Reading a debian mailing list will make any reasonable person cry, roll his eyes or fall asleep. That's ok. That's just how decisions have to be hashed out, if you're going to do it democratically and in public.

There is no benevolent dictator.

Random dudes with commit perms cannot determine policy quietly behind the scenes

People think about poo poo, talk about poo poo, fish mech the gently caress out of every little thing and hopefully reach consensus

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why do you think slow, tired consensus is the best way to build working software?

Debian is an institution that collates, documents, and distributes software. It's very, uh, institutional. By design.

Actually writing the software is probably better done elsewhere

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

I spent quite a long time trying to get into Debian "official" but there was already a (bad) maintainer and I just sorta gave up on it. Ubuntu then started to exist and I got welcomed with open arms. There's a reason Ubuntu's Wine packages are well maintained and Debian's aren't. It's just a lot simpler and nicer to contribute to Ubuntu, and we get poo poo done.

debian's wine maintainer conformed to policy and paid attention to mailing lists. you ignored all that inconvenient stuff and poo poo out totally monolithic packages with a thousand dependencies.

shocking that they did not welcome you with open arms

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's ok to hate the process.

it's not ok to pretend there is no process because you hate it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

But ShadowHawk shipped working software, and the Debian Wine maintainer did not.

The entire point of the Debian project is to ship working software. What's the point in the policy and politics if they don't achieve the goal of shipping working software?

they did, and do, ship

just not as fast as shadowhawk may have liked

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

api call girl posted:

Sounds like the appropriate result was achieved here tbqh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Debian's Wine maintainer shipped a broken package split into dozens of chunks
a.k.a conforming to policy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

saucepanman posted:

ubuntu 14.04 somehow gives me worse battery life than win 8.1, even with the cpu priority set to powersaving

stop using ubuntu

good choices: fedora, debian
middlin' choices: centOS
bad choices: arch
loving lol you moron: ubuntu

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

As someone who spends about 90% of his development time cleaning up Debian-inherited messes, I seriously don't understand the endorsement for it that keeps getting cargo-culted around here. The whole point of Ubuntu was to polish up Debian and release it on a regular basis, and it still does that.

what you call "mess" I call "policy". you poo poo out half baked non-compliant packages for a hobby. once, for a few months, a startup paid you for this dubious service. you, and people like you, are the problem with ubuntu, shadowhawk. gently caress the community repos. seriously. such a loving cesspool.

ubuntu: if it isn't broken out of the box, there's a community package to break it later

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
p.s. shipping 6-month-old debian unstable doesn't count as "releasing" anything. it's already old and broken on day one, because debian's rolling release has been progressing while ubuntu faffs about with ad-supported desktops

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

scroogle nmaps posted:

i think youre expecting ubuntu to be freebsd

its not that

freebsd is plagued by a similar problem. only the core system is stable or supported. the "ports" system has historically been a casual, anything-goes playground. (maybe it has changed, i wouldn't know: I last saw a freebsd system "in the wild" in '06. and i was replacing it with linux even then.)

canonical supports a ubuntu core with a handful of items, and then you rely on basement-dwelling pocky-chewing dipshits with no guidance to cooperate enough to patch and package the other 40,000 packages

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

They've completely reworked the ports / packages on freebsd recently, and it works rather well. You don't have to build much at all and everything is signed. Most anything is just pkg add ____ and you're good.

ok so if you can get a time machine back to 1997 that will really help

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

It's more full featured than I'm describing, but as with many things I just want it to work without messing with it much and it provides that. It's easy to update and solid, it'll tell me exactly which packages need to be patched and you can configure it for whatever. Mostly I don't like spending time janitoring computers and bsd lets me do that. If you want to track current you can download the head from svn as well.

i don't doubt any of it. it's just totally irrelevant. non-linux unix is dead.

for me, that was a painful realization, and a long time coming, but there you have it. no amount of wishing or hoping or praise will bring back freebsd and solaris

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 19, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

ShadowHawk Was Right

debian people get pissed because they have a giant standard that works for nobody but get mad when people criticize because ITS A STANDARD

the key thing is that if you don't like a standard, you don't just poo poo out a substandard package, upload it, and call it a day. you have to, you know, convince other people it's a good idea and discuss it in appropriate venues and fix the standard

ubuntu's community repos mop up all the people too stupid or obstinate to meet the (minimal) qualifications to upload to debian

idiots who just can't work with others

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Or I could, you know, spend my time actually writing software and publishing it in a place with smarter organizational structure.

lol what software do you write

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you're a community contributor to ubuntu. you're a "member" only in the sense that anyone with an e-mail address can sign up for launchpad.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

yeah I didn't want to believe that packaging, integration, configuration, and Ubuntu development was software engineering either

but after doing this and "real" software engineering on different projects and companies, it's the same drat thing just different languages and metadata

to be fair it's a bit closer to devops than "I'm just a programmer" software development because you actually have to care about stuff like deployment and building and installability and so on

so it's like being a programmer except you gently caress with shell scripts all day

i.e. you are an unpaid hobbyist ops guy with no responsibilities

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Awia posted:

oh i wish i did this
hello from solaris 8!

uhh isn't 8 unsupported now that 11 is out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this is why lwn owns