Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Pike posted:

NsCDE is pretty neat

cde was fine back in the day, and some of its ideas were groundbreaking -- tooltalk, motif, dtksh

however, it's 2020, and there exist perfectly good alternatives. i don't have any reason to go back to cde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kazinsal posted:

hopefully linux video drivers will stop sucking now that microsoft has ported d3d12 to them

finally you might be able to run something on a server OS on the desktop that isn't team fortress 2 or a direct3d 8 game under wine

wine is fully integrated in steam now, and it supports d3d 9/10/11 through dxvk

linux games have never been easier

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I’ve only seen suse in the wild once

I assume this is because I do not live or work in Yurop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

weast posted:

if i, for some reason, wanted to try using linux what distro should i bother with? it seems like ubuntu and all ubuntu derivatives are dogshit and that's usually what you see when you just search "what linux distro should i use"

ubuntu is real bad and you should stay the gently caress away from that poo poo. i don't have a lot of opinions about which distributions are good, but holy poo poo, ubuntu is fuckin bad.

if you want ubuntu but without the brain damage you could install debian i guess?

i guess it is time to quote my effort post from several years ago. every now and again i think about updating it except nothing ever changes, so it's still 100% relevant.

i think this is the longest we have ever gone in this thread without ubuntu coming up and this horrible quote having to be dredged out of the depths so thanks for that i guess

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

not like there was iPod or Blu-Ray support for Linux either lol

ipods just presented a block device to the host OS, so they worked on linux long before a windows-compatible ipod was available. linux could happily interoperate with the mac filesystem, windows could not.

bluray had linux support from day one but you had to buy a proprietary software package to decrypt discs that used bluray's lovely drm

it felt like the early days of dvd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

starbucks hermit posted:

For iPods, however, [...] you just had to update some metadata files and you're golden.

i couldn't afford an ipod or firewire back then, and additionally my home/work situation was freebsd/solaris, but boy do i remember linux weenies lording it over me

it did kinda eat my rear end at the time

more my lack of firewire than my lack of ipod dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Private Speech posted:

fe: oh this is the MS thread; well I don't think you could do any of that on a zune

there is no zune, only linux

microsoft adopting linux on the desktop killed the linux desktop thread in the 'pos, and i think that is the best possible sendoff to my posting career