Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I really like KDE’s built in tiling. super easy to configure and snap stuff but also easy to get floating windows when you need to occasionally break convention. I don’t think I’d like a full time tiling wm but I’m also not a terminal user for work.

I’ve been thinking about how far this has all come. in the ‘00s I wound up using fluxbox because it worked and the poo poo laptop I was using benefited from the simplicity and now there are several very good options that rival or surpass what trillion dollar companies can produce.

that said gently caress GNOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
yeah but does nano make you feel like a leet hacker man? case closed

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Soricidus posted:

“a very long list of bad ideas i know wont work” is more than most people have contributed to humanity

the best way to acquire good judgment is to have bad judgment.

coincidentally this is the same mindset that lets people fail upward.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mycophobia posted:

hurr all cartoons from japan are unilaterally bad. gently caress you japan!

you can dislike a storytelling medium (or really just its insufferable fans) without being a racist hth

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Gonna try to switch to Linux sleep mode when my gen 2 Thinkpad arrives today. I didn’t know about this with the gaming laptop I had from Asus so I didn’t get a chance to try it with that but yeah whatever this new sleep is it sucks.

I assume it should just work on Windows and macOS but the problem with those is they have so many goddamn wake conditions it’s pointless anyway. My wife put her Windows laptop to sleep at night and woke up to a dead battery because Windows Update decided it was time to do its thing even though it wasn’t plugged in. I’d say lol gently caress Windows but I had a MacBook do the same thing once until I figured out how to disable all that poo poo.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
look man blockchain tech isn’t just going to justify itself ok

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
What I love about elitist goobers like this is they're provably wrong. Google, a company that actually makes money, did research on this stuff years ago and found poo poo like academic performance only correlated to employee performance within like four years of someone's graduation. They also discovered that their 16-person interview process wasn't filtering candidates better than just having four people interview a person. This was like 10 years ago now. So not only are people like this wrong but out of touch.

Of course processes and standards like this aren't about hiring the right people.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

The_Franz posted:

tech companies also introduced those stupid riddles in interviews, and also were the first to realize that limiting your hiring pool to weirdos who fancied themselves The Real Life Riddler and fancied clever vs sensible solutions to problems was a bad idea. that didn't stop everyone else from starting to do that nonsense too, and they kept doing it long after the people who originally started doing it stopped, as an entire industry on bullshit had already spawned around it. in the 00s, people were reporting being asked about weighing 747s by dunking them in stadiums full of golf balls even for menial jobs

Yeah I had a place ask me weird logic questions like getting a fox, a chicken, and a lit torch across a lake in weird combinations. I can at least understand Fermi questions like "how many doctors are there in Chicago?" where the answer is more about the thought process, but asking someone a dumb question with a specific answer while they're on the spot doesn't reveal anything about how a person solves real world problems. That place went on to develop a terrible rep for how they treated their employees (surprise!) so bullet dodged, I guess.

Even at a place I ended up for a long time, they dropped the Fermi bullshit when one of the senior HMs had a woman say, "I dunno, that's what google is for," and he realized how stupid the process was, since that's objectively the best answer anyway.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
in high school my primary focus was ultima online and I was exceptional at it hire me makers of worse flatpak

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Thanks for subscribing to FIREFOX FACTS

DID YOU KNOW

Firefox was originally named Firebird, but had to change its name due to a lawsuit they settled with Pontiac.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Last Chance posted:

unsubscribe

Thank you for updating your subscription preferences. Please allow up to 10 business days for us to completely remove you from our system.

DID YOU KNOW
Firefox refers to a mythical animal, le renard fuego, which terrorized communities on what is now the border between France and Spain. Le renard fuego was, according to folklore, a fox with nine tails that was responsible for bad dreams and kitchen grease fires.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

unsubscribe firefox-facts

Thank you for updating your subscription preferences. Please allow up to 10 business days for us to completely remove you from our system.

DID YOU KNOW
Mozilla, developers of Firefox, maintain a shelter for abused foxes on their business campus in Lincoln, Nebraska. They only upgrade a full version number when a new fox pup is born. This is known as vulpine versioning and is commonly used in open source software projects.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I mean a dude spent two years of his state sponsored life to infiltrate a zip project only to have his payload get caught by a guy benchmarking software on a bleeding edge distribution that only crazies would use in an environment where they want safe data.

How fast did the high fives stop, do you think?

I’m in no way even reasonably informed how all this poo poo works but the idea that some smugdog using Arch btw interrupted what could have been a heist of the decade is very funny to me. Very 10,000 monkeys with a typewriter energy.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
broke down and bought a 7900xtx after getting a 4K monitor. it’s nice to be able to put the computer to sleep without everything going haywire on the 3080.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
sound sucks on any os the moment you dare try anything beyond plugging in a usb or Bluetooth setup. windows loves to randomly change the bitrate on my buddy’s professional mic when he plugs it into a mixer.

pipewire has at least reached parity with the desktop OSes in that I haven’t had to dick with it for a pair of sennheisers plugged into a DAC/amp via usb

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Christ almighty kde lets you do tiling out of the box with super-t and you don’t need to know c# or whatever the gently caress

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
got Fedora 40 up and running. native HDR is cool but I’m still trying to janitor steam to run poo poo in HDR. gently caress

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
*sits on tree stump*

Got my start on Debian Woody because my laptop at the time ran like poo poo on Windows. The goddamn thing didn't even have a wifi radio, so I had to use a PCMCIA card, which was high technology at the time.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

FlapYoJacks posted:

Fedora 40 is out. Time to upgrade HBag!

fedora 40 is pretty solid. I like KDE 6 quite a bit. the hdr support is nice too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
is the machine running fedora or just the user