Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
there's also the idea that packages should be more atomic than 'running some scripts as root that does stuff' so that you can rollback a la NixOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i installed ubuntu and steam and got some games (portal and portal 2 and left 4 dead 2) and they just worked. no text files edited, or extra drivers installed or anything

2014 year of linux on the desktop

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
my wife installs her own linux distro

its ubuntu :(

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
:ohdear:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4aauib/lets_talk_about_the_free_software_dating_scene/

GNU Male posted:

As a twenty year old single male I think it's very hard to find a girl who's actually interested in free software. I've had girls jokingly ask to "Netflix and chill" but when I tell her that I don't use Netflix since Netflix requires proprietary software to stream content, they stop talking to me. And worse if they do stay they think I'm weird since I blocked google IP's in my host file and we can't even watch youtube. I can't ever seem to get girls to come over to my place and I can't text them either. Once I get their numbers since I've added customs roms to my phone and refuse to use sms since it's a security concern I require all of my friends to download a free and open source messaging app and I share with them my public gpg key so that we can verify that our conversations are secure. None of my friends are willing to do this. And I can't use sites like tinder since it's not only proprietary software but a major privacy vulnerability. How come it is so hard to find a girl concerned about software freedom. I feel like I'm going to be a virgin forever.

quote:

You've made such extreme decisions to boycott commonly used things that you have made yourself pretty eccentric. You have greatly narrowed the field of possible mates by making such unusual and strict choices. Are you really surprised by your dating difficulties? It seems completely predictable to me.

GNU Male posted:

I don't see predictable. There has to be a sizable female population of free software advocates right?

quote:

No. Even among males, it is a ridiculously small slice of the population. Females, probably 1-2 orders of magnitude smaller.

GNU Male posted:

Then there's a need for a completely free software dating site then. Freemeet or openarms-opensource. Those are good names. I'll write my own site and I'll fix my own problem.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
currently people can't do an LTS to LTS upgrade

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
just use bsd and act betrayed when vendors fork and don't contribute back

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, Rust/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Rust plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning Rust system made useful by the Rust corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Rust system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Rust
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the Rust system.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the Rust operating system: the whole system
is basically Rust with Linux added, or Rust/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of Rust/Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
my boss at my first job around 2000 was so enamored with the idea of beowulf clusters (not anything practical like what they're good for, or limitations, just the idea) that he attended a business shutdown auction and spent about $2k on fifteen 486s (dx4 100s) each with a crt and 10baset connecting them all. then for the first time he read the beowulf docs and became increasingly depressed before exclaiming "this is useless, I can't do anything with this"