Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
if you guys want to watch a terrible thing please go watch "linux action show" on youtube

the fedora'd beard host isn't too bad when he's not getting poo poo straight up wrong, but the co-host is a complete pleb (evidence: he wears a "bazinga!" shirt on nearly every episode)

it's insufferable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish, gnome 3 still owns a whole bunch and i use it every day, ty

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

also the overview is fine, gently caress the haters

pidgin is garbage trash for babies and i'm surprised anyone still uses it

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

infernal machines posted:

chunky/jittery animation, missed clicks, jumping windows at times. it also didn't seem to actually support gestures the last time i tried it, but that was a while ago now.

i'm using my on-chip GPU and don't have any performance problems. i don't recall the shell ever claiming to support gestures.

i also seem to remember it only handling programs, not tabs or sub windows

stop using tabs, use individual instances, spread them across workspaces (relevant to whatever you're working on in that space)

$5 says the response is "b-b-but that breaks ~my workflow~"

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the windows 7 taskbar solution is superior because it handles both the separate window and the separate tab scenarios the same way.

except no one uses internet explorer lol

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

we only suffer 'tabs' to cater to environments that didn't have workspaces (like windows still doesn't) or to users didn't use them even if they were available

there's coming to be less and less reason for tabbed anything on a desktop

firefox does it too, don't know about chrome.

it's not as convenient as expose though

it took years for support to show up in firefox, it still wasn't enabled by default, and it didn't work when i enabled it. i haven't used windows in six months, maybe it's changed since then. but windows 7 came out in 2009 and if it took them until late 2013 to turn this feature on, i can't imagine it's a trivial thing that any app can just turn on

i don't use chrome much but i don't remember it working there, either

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

the windows 7 superbar is literally the best iteration of the taskbar that's ever been done, it's too bad windows is forever broken

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Shaggar posted:

actually its an extremely trivial thing if you're using the systems native ui components. even those ancient window w/ smaller interior windows (I forget the name of it) windows 3.11 style apps supported it cause its all just calls down to the native apis.

failfox probably uses gtk or some similar garbage if it didn't work or something., idk if thats right though cause I seem to recall even firefox had it like a few months into the win7 beta. I cant know for sure cause I don't use bad browsers.

no, i remember it took a year or so after windows 7 release for it to even work into the testing builds, which i switched to right away and was disappointed that it never worked

i followed it closely because i really loved the feature and couldn't understand why apps didn't/couldn't implement it immediately

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

just looked at the latest firefox on windows and it still doesn't have the tab preview on the taskbar lol

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• configurable taskbar -- i want to be able to turn grouping on and off, choose which windows to be included in the list on a given workspace

• pin above/below

• pin to particular workspace or all workspaces

• separate horizontal/vertical maximize shortcuts

wow

i hear in cinnamon, you can name your workspaces. in the upcoming version, you can even buy them engagement rings

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gently caress you

my workflow is what matters.

i give zero shits about how ~*~ elegant ~*~ the design is, or how much your grandma liked it in the lab. unless it is immediately and obviously better* than what I'm doing, it's poo poo and you can go gently caress yourself

* it will never, ever be immediate or obvious. so here's another way to put it: never break my workflow.

"hi i'd like to try a new desktop environment, wait, what do you mean it's different"

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, oval office AND PASTE's argument is really bad and I hope that nobody actually thinks that's what we're saying here.

if you have dynamic workspaces, surely you're meant to spread your tasks across them, why is this a bad use

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

on windows i wanted two monitors because "i need the screen space"

since i went to gnome, i went back to one monitor

i know yospos doesn't want to hear that because dick size is measured by the number and size of displays you have on your desk but i've not thought for one moment that i should hook it up again

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

women in tech: that's unfair

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

here's a quick path back to 1997 for you: apt-get install mate

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

double sulk posted:

the only good non-headless linux is crunchbang

tell me about ur conky config, double sulk, how many meters does it have

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

can't believe i'm recommending someone try a fedora, but yes, try fedora

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

if you still have ubuntu gnome installed, you can try to limp along by adding the gnome3 ppa, then running update/upgrade. that will get you (mostly) up to gnome 3.10, which is current.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

lol at people real mad about systemd

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

arch really hasn't broken itself in a long time (check the front page, all the announcements there are all pretty minor)

the aur is the killer feature for me. dealing with custom repos and PPAs is really terrible. admittedly, the aur isn't perfect, but you have a greater chance of the package not completely disappearing because someone got bored or banned from launchpad

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

for anyone who thinks building from the aur is bad hasn't found pacaur.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

yes i'm sure the developers didn't think of that at all

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

it compiles as the user and then installs through sudo, it even prompts and asks if you'd like to check the PKGBUILD script for maliciousness. basically, it's 100% like doing it manually.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

also you can do 'pacaur -Syu' instead of 'pacman -Syu' and it will check the repos for updates, and then it will check the aur for updates and offer them all to you so you don't have to keep track of your aur packages like a scrub

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

Might I ask what Ubuntu packages you needed to get from PPAs provided by users that have been since banned from Launchpad?

all i know is that i suddenly started getting 404s during apt-get update and because i didn't keep meticulous system maintenance notes about what the repos were being used for, i had no idea what i was missing possible updates on

one i'm positive on was the xbmc ppa that's added to xbmcbuntu (back when it was new) by default, at one point that went missing and everyone had to switch to another ppa. 'stable', lol.

ShadowHawk posted:

uhh this sounds an awful lot like checkinstall

it probably is, i'm sure other distros have their own things that sound a lot like this

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Fib posted:

Just want to say Gnome 3 owns, the notifications are still a bit poo poo (maybe fixed now but I still have that use Ubuntu 12.04) but I would rather use Gnome 3 than anything else. Workspaces for each logical thing I'm working on are great.

you have gnome 3.4, notifications got a complete rehaul in 3.6

Fib posted:

When it comes to tabs, I actually really like Firefox's infinitely scrolling tab bar because I have a filthy tab habit. The tab group feature that is kinda hidden would be great if it tied back into workspaces - essentially I want to be able to refactor my workspaces by seeing previews of all tabs + windows at once for a certain app and be able to drag those between workspaces.

Obviously that would require the wm to know about application tabs so it will never happen~

click and drag them out of the browser to create a new window

drag the new window to the workspace where you need it

spend some time organizing and labelling your bookmarks, and then turn off "save my tabs" and suddenly you'll be spawning new browser windows instead of new tabs

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

I wish for a way to open a terminal window without going through the activities thing, am I missing something obvious here? (probably)

ctrl+shift+n

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

suspicious dish, the last time we had a gnome thread i asked why i can't type a few characters, mash the menu key and arrow down to 'new window'

(the menu key gives me the context menu for the input box)

i can do it if i press down arrow, up arrow, menu button so its a focus problem

but its real bad if you typed enough and there's only one search result, you can't arrow back and forth and so you have to grab the mouse and right-click ugg

anyway you said it was a bug and it got fixed but it's not fixed?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

yeah i didn't even notice, i just grabbed the first GIS result that looked remotely correct

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hm. I don't remember saying this bug got fixed. I've brought it up with the design team before. Really, we're pretending that both have input focus, which doesn't work for the menu key.

it's a bummer because not everything has a shortcut key for 'new window', and those that do, it's not consistent (terminal's is ctrl+shift+n, but firefox's is ctrl+n). the search function has an opportunity to work as a consistent alternative to the dock if your hands are already on the keyboard

bash super, type 'fire', bash enter, get switched to firefox
bash super, type 'fire', bash menu key, arrow to desired instance or 'new window'

also its clearly wrong because when you hit menu, the search box only revels 'copy' and 'paste'. that might make sense if i had text highlighted, but i don't so agg why

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

the community is the worst, even if you've done literally all you can do they will still find a way to poo poo on you and tell you how much you suck for not being able to figure it out yourself

it's like the world's worst fishmeching

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

In the next version you can simply use "Ctrl+Enter" to launch a new window.

that's cool, but i guess that means choosing which instance of an application you want is still broken?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

seriously when is that poo poo coming out

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

use arch you idiot

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

gentoo: literally compile everything from scratch

arch: who fucken cares here's the most common poo poo and you can compile just the small stuff

ubuntu: fartz

linux mint: you might as well just run windows vista

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

so arch

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

steam and dropbox are the bane of my existence

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

spankmeister posted:

i'm running cinnamon, i just can't part with that gnome 2 like interface.

you'll join this decade sometime, i'm sure

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

gnome 3.14 in the arch repo~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

ok gnome 3.12 was really good but everything is up a notch. i've never known a computer to actually become faster while i owned it.

went back to windows 10 for a moment and looked at its multiple desktop implementation, lol what a shitshow in direct comparison