Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i got one of those 2-in-1 tablet laptops and despite all the talk about tablet support, gnome is loving garbage on it

hmm, it actually looks like it owns a bunch. watch: http://www.gnome.org/press/2014/09/gnome-3-14-released-a-refined-experience/

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i can't even figure out how to get an onscreen keyboard

settings > universal access > set "Screen Keyboard" to on

if you want to turn it on and off without having to drill into the settings menu, set "Always Show Universal Access Menu" to on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Rahu posted:

The best part about gnome 3.14 is the new default gtk theme.

It is very pretty :3:

it was already really good

i'm really liking the new animations, they're subtle (ok the Applications menu one isn't but the rest are), and somehow despite them, the shell runs even faster than before

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i don't get the hate. it's a completely different way to work and if you give yourself some time to shed some dumb old habits, the workspaces-as-tasks thing is really really great and using anything else becomes a chore.

i had two monitors and reduced back down to one because workspaces are that great

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i put ubuntu gnome on mine and it doesn't recognize the touchscreen and the five minutes i spent googling it, nobody else know how to get it going either

which is weird because it Just Worked with ubuntu 12.04 out of the box

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome 3.14 trip report -- it sucks. if this had been 3.00 beta release #1, this would be ok. but it's the eighth stable release after three years, and tons of poo poo doesn't work

actually its really good

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

backstory: i bought one of those windows 8 convertible laptop/tablet doohickeys. in "tablet" mode it has a windows key, a volume up, and a volume down, and that's it.

same except work provided

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

upgrading to gnome 3.14 gets me the onscreen keyboard automatically in most of the right places most of the time. but only in gtk 3 applications. if you want to run an application that isn't gnome 3 native, you are screwed. notably firefox and chrome are not gtk3

lol why would you use non-gtk3 software

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if the automatic launch isn't working, there is no way to manually launch the on-screen keyboard w/out having a keyboard already. you have to bind a keyboard shortcut to open it. i said, "ok, that's dumb, but ok" and attempted to bind it to the windows key. no dice. gnome 3 will not allow you to use a modifier key as a keybinding alone.

system settings > universal access > set screen keyboard to on. or, set "always show universal access menu" to on and then its right there with the indicators

but again it works fine for gtk3 apps and why would you ever use desktop linux with non-gtk3 apps

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so i decided to give up on actual good web browsers and try the shitbucket that comes with gnome 3: epiphany. to my delight, epiphany does in fact support autoloading the on-screen keyboard like other gnome 3 native apps. unfortunately typing into the url bar immediately breaks because the autocomplete box pops up over top of the on-screen keyboard

it is really, really obvious that nobody ever tried this on a tablet, not even once

cool so did you submit a bug or are you just going to bitch about it here

epiphany is surprisingly good and the "save as web application" feature is a really great way to app-ify twitter, facebook and other web garbage

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is rough around the edges even by open sores standards. basic features do not work, the things that do work do not work consistently (i often clicked in a text field and got no keyboard, only to repeat and get the keyboard back)

its actually really great, the theme is heavily improved, and the already good performance is even better. i can even switch workspaces and activate the overview while running a fullscreen steam game

year of the linux desktop has arrived

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's obviously dogshit for idiots on my desktop with a 27" monitor and gobs of screenspace, none of the ui metaphors work when your mouse has to cross two feet to hit a 'hot corner' or whatever.

have you heard of the super key

when you want to launch something, your hands are already on the keyboard because you're about the type the app name into the search box, so press the super key

when you want to app/workspace switch through the overview, your one hand is on the keyboard and your other is on the mouse, you can do either the hot corner bump or the super key

but okay forget all that, i'm on a 24" monitor at 1080p and even from the complete opposite corner of the screen, getting to the overview with the mouse is as difficult as a slightly exaggerated flick of the wrist

basically you're a "power user" and all of this :siren: my workflow :siren: crybaby poo poo isn't impressing anyone

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

lol linux yosposters pretending they know better than shell designers

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah the problem is that apparently i do know better

that's bad

Fig. 1, Users are idiots.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

I was thinking of maybe possibly trying gnome 3 again but this thread has warned me off of it thanks yospos.

Mate suiting the hell out of my needs.

e: KDE 5 looking slick maybe in 10 years it'll be usable.

why wait, you can install windows vista now

eschaton posted:

haiku ships a web browser and it actually works

of course 99% of that is because it's WebKit based but the other 1% is because haiku is actually willing to make reasonable decisions about interface instead of leave them up to each developer

epiphany is webkit and its UI design is so good apple stole it for the new safari so what exactly is the problem

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

gnome 3 was really bad. windows dont even have a minimize button wtf

where exactly would you like your windows to minimize to

if you didn't think that far, it sounds like maybe you didn't really give it a chance

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

"just use mate, because the desktop paradigm peaked circa 1997" - yospos, unironically

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

pretend that i posted that gif of the guy in the car and he looks at you like 'what lol' as he pulls away except its me in the car and the car is gnome-shell

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

keyvin posted:

I was going to put something funny after a *, but gnome 3 sucks so badly its the joke in and of itself.

actually, its good

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i saw KDE 5 and its still just windows vista with a homemade theme on it

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

mate is XP where someone has pinned a quick access to disks and control panel on the taskbar

everyone i know who is an old dad had their XP like this so its really like the daddest XP

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

cinnamon is also vista but with a bad virtual desktop thing tacked on and the designer apparently says 'ok, everything gnome 3 does, we will just do the exact opposite' so instead of dynamic workspaces you have to spend clicks manually creating and destroying them, and instead of being stacked vertically, they're horizontal

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

all these desktops still have the microsoft-style ghetto of misfit programs permanently living in the notification area

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

the mystery of the window controls

what is supposed to happen when you click the minimize button on a window?

should the window minimize to the taskbar?
should the window minimize to the notification area?

what is supposed to happen when you click the close button on a window?

should the program terminate?
should it minimize to the taskbar?
should it hide in the notification area?
or are you really closing the abstraction of something (a settings control page) without actually terminating the program (a system daemon, say, antivirus)?

whatever, it's just easier to call people "computer illiterate" when they ask these questions

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

the lie that users expect that kind of behavior because they're used to it is false

sit any user down at windows, osx, kde, cinnamon, xfce.. they will be equally confused

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

minimizing things to the taskbar is useful for de-cluttering your view

but what exactly is the value of the taskbar/minimizing windows paradigm when you have workspaces?

what is supposed to happen when you restore a window from the taskbar but aren't looking at the workspace where that window entered the minimized state?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

you would think linux users would be the first ones to rally around a linux-focused project that made a real, honest attempt at fixing these problems

"you're taking the power away from users" "this breaks my workflow" "its garbage kill yourselves" etc

lol ok

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Finally, someone understands the GNOME 3 design goal.

unironically agree

people will adapt, you just have to be the change you want to be, don't worry about the "power users" because people will eventually see how your way is better

how can you move forward if you coddle every idiot that whines about their ugly transparent terminals

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i'm sorry but "hotcorners are bad and i have to move my mouse a little more than i'm used to" is not the UX breaker that "one button has multiple behaviors and we just tolerate it because thats what users expect lol"

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

yospos really needs a UI discussion thread because these problems are in no way specific to linux

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

for real i had to do an assignment on a mac once and I couldnt understand why it didnt terminate when I pressed the red x in teh corner of the window

:siren: ~my workflow~ :siren:

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

here's a hint, unless you are designing an interface for a device called "iPad" or falls into the category of "phone" it shouldn't ape those interfaces for no loving reason. no one wants or uses touch screens

cool, i don't know what you're railing about but it certainly isn't gnome 3

ZShakespeare posted:

maybe the next time you break the desktop paradigm try replacing it with something better rather than just breaking it because it's old.

okay but it's already broken which i think i made pretty clear maybe you should read those posts i made

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

yeah lol

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

see yall next week for "browser tabs are for idiot children"

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

power botton posted:

cunty just know that you were the reason i tried gnome 3 and i love it and it has made my life better in immeasurable ways

<3

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not even you actually believe this

have you never shown your mother or a grandparent a computer and had to answer questions like "now where did this go"

no one has ever whipped out a notebook and written down literally everything you did as you did it

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

nevermind, we all know you haven't left the basement to visit family in years

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my grandfather used linux on the desktop in his late 80s, circa 2000? 2001?

hmm yes that's completely relevant to my point about new computer users with no past experience (if you don't understand why this is more important than retraining some old hats, well, you probably don't have a very good grasp on what's happening in the job market in america)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it may surprise you that retraining costs are minimized when you don't go out of your way to defy every user expectation

you could teach someone how to get around gnome well enough in about an hour, whether they touched a computer before or not.

how long would it take you to train someone to use windows?

kde? lol

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

gnome 3 is seriously the only desktop worth talking about, everything else is stale terrible kitchen-sink garbage (KDE), or a lovely and unnecessary fork of gnome 3

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every user only uses 10% of the features. which is to say, each user cares deeply about a different 10% subset of available features.

what you dismiss as a "kitchen-sink" attitude, the rest of the world sees as featureful software.

that's funny, iOS users don't seem to have Stockholm Syndrome about apps minimizing to the notification area where they didn't belong in the first place

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 6, 2014

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Soricidus posted:

it's literally true. it's the reason I stopped using ubuntu years ago, after they deliberately shipped broken video drivers because the alternative was either delaying the release slightly or leaving out some other feature that required the new broken beta drivers.

(anecdote may be inaccurate because gently caress looking up the details)

if you're talking about what i think you're talking about then it was actually about plymouth, the truecolor splash screen thing that still doesn't and probably never will work with proprietary drivers

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

hey if I were gonna install linux on a spare partition, just for laughs, which one should I use as of today?

arch because its the easiest way to get a clean and current gnome desktop up and running

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

:siren: :words: :siren:

Silver Alicorn posted:

maybe I'm just curious to see what C&P likes about Arch because I've already used debian/ubuntu/fedora/centos pretty extensively vOv

arch is really just a couple little scripts/programs to help you put a basic linux system in place on a machine, and a package manager.

arch doesn't gently caress with the software before shipping it out to you. if you install it from the arch repos, it's as if you downloaded the source, extracted/configure/make/make install'd it, but with the benefits of a package manager

the aur isn't perfect, but its vastly superior to PPAs and other unofficial repositories. it's difficult to express how good it is. compiling software sucks, but the majority of what's there is mostly supplemental software that only takes a minute to build. everything from old dos shareware games on down to garbage deviantart themes for your desktop are covered in the aur. i don't think there's a distribution out there that can match it in size, quality or freshness.

there's no real distro drama to speak of. the wiki is really good. here's a particularly good example. i reference the wiki even when i'm working with other distros. the forums are terrible, though.

surprisingly, steam works great on arch. when it was new, there were some games that wouldn't start, but i haven't seen that in months.

yes, sometimes poo poo breaks, but it gets posted on the homepage in advance, so just get in the habit of checking the homepage before you run an upgrade and you'll be fine. no changes they've ever forced me to manually commit took more than five minutes to complete.

i know everyone's got different levels of commitment to this sort of thing, but i weighed the pros and cons and decided to stick around. the two biggest reasons i stick with arch are 1) how quickly major gnome releases are available and 2) the aur.

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 11, 2014

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

arch has a lot of problems but that wiki has solved a lot of frustrating laptop hardware kinks for me

most notably: pulseaudio bullshit, macbook firmware bullshit, touchpad bullshit

yeah, my personal laptop has suspend/wake issues under ubuntu. works fine under arch, but i didn't even need to janitor it.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

shitface posted:

doesn't attempt to rejig its interface for theoretical lunix compatible touchscreen hardware and software that doesn't loving exist in any serviceable form

good point, shitface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

IPvSH6T posted:

the only issues ive had with arch recently were when i was first installing it on an EFI machine, which i blame more on the crazed chinese firmware devs not following the spec

yeah i had to do a really awful "download the ISO and then create your own USB image and then dd it down to your thumbdrive" thing just to get UEFI going but apparently it was sorted out in the next month's ISO image and Just Works now