Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Smythe posted:

gnome 3 is rly good

agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Rahu posted:

woah i never realized cmd had options

this is delightful

:siren: linux power user found :siren:

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

whats it like being so cool

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality

install this and you'll have the best fonts on any platform

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

There Will Be Penalty posted:

i hand-edit ~/.fonts.conf and this is too :spergin: even for me

i dunno what you were confusing for difficult, all you do is add a repo, install infinality-bundle or whatever and now you have rad fonts

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

gnome 3 is rly good if you give it a chance and work with it

i got annoyed at gnome's web browser for being poo poo at handling lots of tabs in one window, then i started keeping related tabs in separate windows and switching between them with gnome shell and it turns out to be much better!

almost like tabs in web browsers are a hack to compensate for window managers that are not up to the job

also gnome 3 w/ infinality looks so loving nice on a hidpi screen. and two-finger touchpad scrolling is buttery smooth too.

needs p thoroughly suited here

jesus christ it's like i was right about everything all along

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but design is never gonna be enough to justify removing all the preferences dialogues, dropping task lists as a thing, moving to a "spatial" file manager, mangling the alt-tab menu, etc etc

design consistency is not a sufficient reason to drop features or radically change interface metaphors

boy you sure are mad about things getting better and improving with time and reflection

• design consistency and user-friendliness are absolutely great reasons to change interface metaphors
  • if you can't adapt to new workflows, you are not a power user, you are inflexible and broken and no screaming of :siren: "but my workflow" :siren: will change that
  • the preferences dialogs aren't gone, they're finally all in one consistent place (as long as the app is gtk3-friendly)
  • task lists have always sucked, there's never been a good implementation and even the major desktops who pioneered them have since replaced them with docks (long before gnome did, to be honest)
  • transparent terminal windows are for the irc windows of drydick anime boys, good riddance
  • please name one thing that the design of nautilus literally prevents you from doing (that isn't "open a tab" or some other workflow-related non-blocking non-task)
  • idg what the alt-tab hate is about just use the overview you loving nerds

someone please go take a good hard look at gedit 3.14. it's not perfect (plugins lol) but it gets some things really right

• opens up looking like a reduced notepad.exe
  • there's no File|Edit|View menus with 10 things each to click on/scare grandmas
  • all the extra functionality is exposed in the prefs window

you probably just went from the world's sparsest notepad clone to a needs-meeting sublime text-level editor. syntax coloring and themes, line numbering, code collapsing, autocompletion, documenation reference, integrated interpreter..

so it is totally possible to design desktop apps that look incredibly simple and non-threatening, but still have really great and deep feature sets that you reveal only when someone actually goes looking for it. and its not even that clever about it.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Soricidus posted:

sounds like emacs when properly configured (ie the terrible menu bar disabled), except emacs doesn't bother trying not to scare grandma because it knows grandma will never use desktop linux

grandma will never accidentally sstumble across emacs so no its not really the same thing at all

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

wow, great post, its like you really tried to relate what i said without taking it completely literally

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, i am inflexible

and i am the actual target for the linux desktop. someone who uses linux desktop software every single day and occasionally contributes bug reports and patches

i am not the proverbial "aunt tillie" or a teenage dabbler who installs it long enough to take screenshots. i am an actual living, breathing user and i want my poo poo to not be broken

so you really think there's absolutely no market for a free, user-friendly desktop? its beards or nothing?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok how do i turn on focus follows mouse in gnome 3?

lollll

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol you couldn't teach it to wash itsefl, so you just chucked out the baby with the bathwater

again, not before everyone else did. again, it sucked, its design sucked, and it never worked well. nobody misses it.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i was going to bitch but i just opened nautilus 3.14 and it is less broken now. not having a treeview still sucks but at least it is not fundamentally unusable

a low bar to clear: it's not completely, totally useless

actually its fine i haven't ever thought "boy i wish i had a treeview"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you made it non-discoverable AND hid all the features AND you're proud of it

great work, guys

you can shut the project down, now. there's nothing left to be removed or hidden from users. not even the text editor is usable

do your applications all look like those ham radio UIs where every possible thing you could ever do in the world is a button on the main window

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btw expose-clones are the worst, because all of my windows are editors full of text, web browsers full of text, or command lines full of text. there is no way to usefully distinguish them using a thumbnail

"i don't actually use graphical environments but let me tell you why your graphical environment is terrible"

why are you even talking

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

if linux users think something is bad, that automatically means its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

ex: gnome 3