Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Just want to say Gnome 3 owns, the notifications are still a bit poo poo (maybe fixed now but I still have that use Ubuntu 12.04) but I would rather use Gnome 3 than anything else. Workspaces for each logical thing I'm working on are great.

When it comes to tabs, I actually really like Firefox's infinitely scrolling tab bar because I have a filthy tab habit. The tab group feature that is kinda hidden would be great if it tied back into workspaces - essentially I want to be able to refactor my workspaces by seeing previews of all tabs + windows at once for a certain app and be able to drag those between workspaces.

Obviously that would require the wm to know about application tabs so it will never happen~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Gnome 3 owns, Unity is like a poo poo version of Gnome 3, and everything else is literally stone age idiot garbage

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I upgraded my mobo + cpu and now my sound doesn't work - it sounds haunted like it loops and crackles. I read on a random forum post I should download and install the realtek drivers from source but that didn't help. I gave up at that point, I can just listen to music through my phone instead nbd. just linux things

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Mr Dog posted:

anyway, Suspicious Dish, I know you're the guy implementing the prototype for the new notification thing, can you please beat it into the designers' heads that there needs to be some sort of notification that you have unread notifications waiting in the tray? tia

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Breakfast All Day posted:

why are the linuxers so mad about systemd having binary journaling. are there people who like to hack their journals with vim or some poo poo

Excuse me sir but the UNIX PHILOSOPHY is to have small tools that do ONE THING WELL and communicate using PLAIN TEXT FILES and if you deviate from that you might as well install windows. I do all my text editing in ed and everything I edit is text, as the greybeards intended

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I installed Fedora on my laptop and Dark Adwaita looks super nice but even with gnome tweak tool and the firefox theme, firefox still uses the light version :(

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Suspicious Dish posted:

ANTLR is that thing where you have to buy a $60 book because there's no documentation, and the error messages are incomprehensible garbage?

Sounds like cmake to me

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
So in conclusion, is systemd good or is it bad? I need a non-nuanced opinion that I can parrot ad nauseam on slashdot, a website that still exists in the year 2014.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
The gnome 3 desktop experience is so good that microsoft feels they need to catch up or be left behind. That's what windows 10 is all about but they still fall far short. What more evidence do you need

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
gnome 3 status: still suiting my needs better than any other desktop on any platform.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
as 2014 draws to a close we discover the year of linux on the desktop was inside us all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Please rename this thread to swapfile.avi