Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what

systemd owns lmao

fleet is clunky but still pretty much owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2700 unread, anything cool?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so no

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
who remembers halted firewalls lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xik posted:

did you haul that gear in there for a laugh or is that cafe a big enough hot spot for grey beards that it's a permanent feature

your statement implies you think greybeards would share a terminal.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

there is definitely an uncomfortable amount of Important Software that has yosposters on the team lol

would you rather have shsc posters working on them?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what was it, hot grits in natalie portman's pants or something?

god that site.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pram posted:

ibm is just preparing for the glorious renaissance period of AIX

i always confused aix and a/ux and that was probably mutually beneficial for both

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

one of my old dealers was a dude named nate with a guy fawkes facial hair vibe and a distaste for the government who kept chickens inside city limits, had a wood stove made of welded-up railroad ties in his bedroom (that he actually used), and was the first person to show me iceweasel

intensely cool dude

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Checkin in on the linux thread how we doin folks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only viable software license is D&R

https://www.openhub.net/licenses/death-and-repudiation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
application brogramming interface

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i do not understand why people hate systemd other than grognard poo poo and i in fact quite like it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah ive written several systemd files to turn dumb one-off scripts into a real service.

now, of course, if its not a super low level thing that has to run on the host OS i immediately search for `<thing> docker` and if that exists i go for it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mawarannahr posted:

I want to be able to sit down and say “this is Unix. I know this” and have the tomes of manuals I read autistically to have relevance. I used to read the x11 manuals too (a big part of why I dislike wayland, probably
) there’s nothing comparable anymore and the way things fit together don’t make sense. it’s dissonant with my idea of unix history and convention, which seemed pretty great to me. things change too fast now and it’s mostly just red hat winging it. freebsd 5.x felt like a home — linux feels like an airbnb.

I don’t like it because I don’t like it and the mental structures I built around BSD are increasingly irrelevant yet aren’t replaced by anything that makes my life better at all. it’s complicated in places I don’t need it to be complicated, and oversimplified in places i want more control. similar with how python took over everything when smalltalk, which actually makes sense and had nice books, was right there (io would have made a good replacement that works better with the Unix model). good books are important to my computing experience. now there’s just terrible man pages, README.md, and web tutorials.

i know it sounds like a joke but im serious about unix as a way of structuring the space inside a computer — i knew the building layout, how the furnace worked, how to replace the fuse and so on, and there were good blueprints and product manuals. i feel kind of lost now and need to go to (lovely) docs a lot more because i don’t know how to memorize the new stuff, it doesn’t mesh well with the old knowledge.

gently caress esr, cathedrals all the way.

a good post and i appreciate it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gentle Autist posted:

my fedora box “””””just works””””” for docker and poo poo and now the novelty has worn off i think i am just gonna ignore it, use it as a seedbox, and periodically relaunch plex when new versions come out

guess i will have to find something more interesting to do with my life

https://github.com/Jeeaaasus/youtube-dl

make two yt playlists, 'audio' and 'video' then punch them into the config for this. set the rescan to 10m. now if you want something just add to that list on youtube, go pour your coffee and it just shows up. i swear by it

(also it doesnt get throttled)

(also it works for youtube music, if you can play it on the site, you can download it)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

why does this need a dockerfile with a shitload of dependencies, when @120 yt-dlp <a bunch of flags> in a crontab is all that's needed

i guess nobody noticed that freebsds crontab(5) has grown a few new options like @N to run N seconds after the last command completed and @every_minute or @every_second

Because I like Docker a whole lot and containerize everything i can and also i do it for my job now. Next

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

hurr durrr babby's first script is possibly dangerous and has so many dependencies it needs its own special sandbox to play in

it isnt and doesnt though? its just easy to install. took me like 30 seconds. btw cron is deprecated yall stop suggesting it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nudgenudgetilt posted:

https://github.com/Jeeaaasus/youtube-dl/blob/master/Dockerfile#L43

Let's embed our dependency version and url into our Dockerfile! Well, only if we're running x86_64 -- otherwise let's just use the latest version of the distro package. Why not always use the distro ffmpeg?

Then this poo poo:
https://github.com/Jeeaaasus/youtube-dl/blob/master/Dockerfile#L79

Why? Just Why?

Don't run a loving init inside your container. Run containers for each service. An init in your container just obscures the visibility docker provides into your service and fucks up your logging situation. One (primary application) process, one container, one set of logs.

i don't care. this is so i can download music videos via youtube.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nudgenudgetilt posted:

do you do this bullshit at work though?

No, but our customers do. we're a kubernetes provider. we dont loving care what they run in there, we're just gonna bill for cpu anyways

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cant imagine reading it now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sapozhnik posted:

today in linux audio adventures i plugged a headphone jack into my puter and it decided the headphones were a stereo microphone

actually somewhat successfully too

most headphones are actually pretty adequate dynamic mics.

My Sangean prison model radio has the AUX IN jack blocked off that is normally present, because they didn't want inmates to be able to plug a set of headphones into the aux in and use it as a makeshift PA system to coordinate riots.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kamrat posted:

China is ditching Windows in favor of Linux when it comes to government services and the like, if this is really true we could expect to see more Linux users in general in China which could have an effect on the available software for Linux and hardware compatibility which in turn could make Linux a more viable choice here in the west for people still on the fence. :china:

source this quote pls

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cron is hosed up and anybody defending it ityool 2022 is extremely sus

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i most certainly do not

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nothing involving emailing me can be considered "properly configured"

efb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you just lost a friend, foo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Crow posted:

Why would you own a printer just go to the library

<taps the global worldfucking pandemic sign once again>

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
r/commandline is absolutely filthy with all these 'replacement for find/sed/grep' hobbyprojects and theyre always written in some dogshit language and all the flags are incompatible but somebody posts some `time` output that says its 0.002 seconds faster in this one cherry picked operation but you have to spend 7 hours retooling any scripts using the old tools and ugh gently caress this i'm just sticking with what i have

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Crow posted:

I would simply find . -type f -iname "*.c" | xargs grep ”butts" op, its worked for 80 years and just rolls off the tongue

if you didnt internalize the things on either side of this pipe years ago and still consider it 'scary' i dont want you grepping my code, let alone editing or making changes to it unsupervised. just ask me for the file and edit it in notepad++ or whatever, as you do, send me the file back and i'll take a look-see.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

there's that hostile condescension that makes this community so welcoming!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

If only we had some sort of system for managing changes to code so that people could edit the files locally on their own computer without the risk of accidentally screwing up the central repository

Bad news, amigo - that's a command line tool with flags and arguments. Stone age poo poo. Nice version control, grandpas. This what y'all used to program ENIAC?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when are they gonna rename that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they say "Operating systems are pets, containers are cattle" but the reality is that operating systems are cattle too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thought about gentoo? it's way more performant bc it custom compiles for your exact machine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i literally have twenty dollar wish.com tier ssds as my read/write caches on my nas and ive written so many terabytes through them and they're fine. nobody should worry about TBW.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only time i did was when i bought that pair of optane 58GB's on fire sale as a complete joke. they have like 1600 tbw which is just funny. i use them as my raid1 for /var/log. maybe after ten years i will hit 1% of that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive had two SSDs die. both were before i started heatsinking them all. now i have like a dozen around the house and none have broken.

just as a rumor, the sk hynix brand ones are highly regarded for laptops as they seem to run a few C cooler than the others. I think when SSDs die, 98% of the time its the controller chip overheating, not the actual nands. but the sk's seem solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im sure they're 400,000 pounds cause brexit, but i buy latitude 7490s for shittops. i've picked up a couple for friends that needed a cheap browsing box, and i have one with maxed ram and a big ssd that i threw ubuntu on purely as a "haha this is my linux laptop" gimmick. never paid more than 200 usd for em.

8th gen i5 or i7 (i always i7), nvme slot, lots of ports, good keyboard, good enough 1080p screen, 8h of browsing if the battery's in ok shape. Nice little beaters.