Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wheany posted:

yes, i'm aware of nano, and it's the closest linux has to a usable text editor, but it uses nonstandard keys, even going as far as acknowledging that the user pressed ctrl-s and instead of saving the file, it complains to the user: "XOFF ignored, mumble mumble"

nano is probably the best shell text editor but that poo poo is ridiculously annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
speaking of mesa, on chromeos in particular: is there any way to, idk, speed up virgl? cros uses it for containers and various vms. while performance isn't that bad, it's probably ~70% of native and i don't see why that necessarily should be since typically we're not talking about a full vm, just a fancy sandbox. compiling my own mesa helped a little

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
hurr durrr babby's first script is possibly dangerous and has so many dependencies it needs its own special sandbox to play in

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"kubernetes" sounds like a german STI

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

it isnt and doesnt though? its just easy to install. took me like 30 seconds. btw cron is deprecated yall stop suggesting it

"pip install youtube-dl" is kinda easy, too. it even works on ios!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
let's just sandbox the container of the vm running a sandbox inside of a container (don't call it a sandbox). surely this will solve our problems

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i did a thing on my old rear end android phone because i'm a big dumb baby

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'm angry. ANGRY ABOUT LINUX

you know, the thing with the stuff that's super redundant and gives you several slightly different ways of doing things,

man that really pisses me off.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the correct way to use docker is `shutdown -h now`

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

this but unironically

Linux in particular and UNIX in general will give you five different ways to accomplish a goal and none of them will be the best way to do it unless one happened to have an author focused on exactly your goal or one isomorphic to it

like why would you have a batching & queueing system with both immediate and scheduled jobs, unique and repeated jobs, and sensible priority mechanisms, when you can have multiple job scheduling systems and multiple queuing systems with no implementation sharing, only vague interaction, and essentially no thought given to prioritization?

actually i wasn't entirely joking. you're completely correct and it does indeed mildly annoy me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that said imo it's better than a one-size-fits-none approach

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

yeah it's phoronix, but hell has seemingly frozen over

nvidia is publishing their gpu kernel modules as open source

it's just the kernel driver though, but it's a start in the right direction

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

NV seems to be really bad about burning people who do business with them in general as the history of basically every 21st century gaming console seems to demonstrate.

eh? the xbox, ps3 and switch all use nvidia gpus. that covers everyone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

chromebooks seem pretty solid

if intel just released some drat discrete graphics chipsets then honestly they could make at least a nickel or two

i posted about this in the apple thread but yeah honestly they're not that bad

if you use crouton you can install another distro alongside cros and switch to it using a new VT with a key combo. it's actually pretty neat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

a speaker is a microphone, just like a generator is a motor

seriously wouldn't be surprised if this were used to justify functionality in a commit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

akadajet posted:

it’s used as justification to ban computer speakers in government buildings

i'm sure that they're all manufactured in a shed somewhere and then go through a ton of different companies' supply chains until they're branded with a name people will recognize also has nothing to do with that policy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

it's an AC97/HDA thing. There's a bunch of jacks that terminate on your motherboard and the sound chip doesn't really care whether it hooks a DAC or an ADC to them, it's all the same. On windows you get the REALTEK AUDIO CONFIGURATION MANAGER to configure that stuff, on Linux I'm sure there's some godawful ALSA or Pipewire CLI thing but nothing in GNOME Settings yet.

I guess maybe it measures impedance to decide whether a jack has been connected to a headphone or a microphone or maybe a headphone microphone combo since at least some of those sockets have four contacts in em. but yes i am aware that headphones can act as somewhat serviceable microphones. i'm surprised this has never been a plot point in a hollywood hacker movie type thing although the studio executives would probably think the audience would be too stupid to understand the hollywood hacker man's explanation painstaking in monosyllabic words for five year olds.

it detects the number of pins on a trrs jack.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
you can pretty much cozpop a full userland anywhere you want so long as the binaries know where to look for it but that's not exactly a great solution

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah steam for linux uses containerized runtimes now, because the previous solution was to support a fork of ubuntu from 2012 forever. they use a fork of flatpak for this although idk maybe they're going to reintegrate it with upstream flatpak later.

then again it kinda sorta seems to pull in the nvidia or mesa runtime from the host os which makes things complicated.

i mean flatpak or no, it's gonna still be linked against a specific library and god help you if the version number changes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

being a fan of the general idea of software durability is indeed what won me over to container solutions despite them being kind of icky on a technical level. electron clients and big container lump software distribution is hardly sexy, but it is certainly *extremely* good for linux as it solves a lot of longstanging issues while not particularly ruining anything other than nerd peace of mind.

yeah that's very true. i've gone on about the stupidity of containers within containers being containers all the way down on here before, but i can't deny they're useful af

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lysidas posted:

(yes i should switch to podman but :effort:)

its fantastic, gently caress no am i installing node.js on my actual system, keep that garbage encapsulated and invisible

lol, probably 70% of us still use sysv cron and init because :effort:

agreed the only good use for node is in a quarantine zone though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

sysv cron is fine and there's no reason to discard decades of experience and documentation for something shiny if sysv cron does the job well

for real, when people go "wtf why are you using that old poo poo" i never get a satisfactory answer to "well it might be old but why not?"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah lemme just discard this thing that works perfectly fine and replace it with something that has a billion man pages spread across like ten aliases for the same base binary

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

idk maybe because you want to spawn a systemd unit and all of the process supervision machinery that entails instead of having crond doing a basic-rear end fork/exec

maybe you want a retry policy

maybe you want to blur the startup time so that you don't have a thundering herd of too many jobs starting up at once

maybe you want timezone awareness on some tasks and utc scheduling for others

lots of things systemd timers can do that crond can't

there are a lot of different ways to do (almost, process supervision w/o fork/exec being the exception) all of that with cron anyway though?

also why would you be using separate time formatting anyway? :confused:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

no one is saying that systemd timer functionality can be entirely supplanted by cron.

But if one line in a crontab will do you good, then there's no need to write a unit file and timer file for systemd

there's no need to replace all shell scripts with python files, when the bulk of the work is just chaining pipes and fork/exec

exactly, i mean in the end we're just basically talking about shell scripts

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

I think the idea is to execute tasks relative to when the system starts up, rather than on boot itself

like a virus scanner or an indexer or whatever

while i can see that being a use case, not only can you query uptime but the system clock is most likely also utc (unless you're dual booting an old version of windows or something, i guess). so idk, maybe i'm missing something here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

I'm not arguing there. But as the script gets complex, the argument starts to form around using systemd timers.

I'm content with leaving crontab stuff where they are now, but I'm still open to using systemd timers when it could be beneficial.

i mean same, it's not like i'm some graybeard that absolutely refuses change lol. i just don't see a reason to change things needlessly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Truga posted:

also, wine especially is an odd collection of software emulating an even weirder thing. if you're having trouble with it, do ps x | grep wine, there's probably a wineserver or some other poo poo still running that's waiting on something to happen, which sometimes prevents you from killing wine itself. i find "killall -9 wine wineserver winedevice.exe" works 100% reliably so far, but i'm sure there's other edge cases.

tbqh `killall -9 wineserver` works just as well

so does `killall -9 firefox` when it decides to poo poo all over your memory pages

e: too many l's!

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 18, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also ps auxwww supremacy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Truga posted:

2 ws is wide, unlimited, 3 does nothing lol

but yes

lol true. i just use it because aux/www is very easy to remember

same with ls -halF

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nudgenudgetilt posted:

fair enough, that brings in 95 instances of it being used (compared with 300 now for _uninterruptible).

my point stands that io through chunks of usb, md, scsi, and other common io subsystems can in fact leave a process uninterruptible.

sure, there may be a better way for those drivers to do it, but they aren't yet.

this is true and since most chromebooks use eMMC it loving blows

luckily my newest one uses a (replaceable) nvme ssd :getin:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
hmm yeah let me just google "how to do my job". that'll show those idiot nerds,

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlapYoJacks posted:

You can also write a tiny python script that sends you a Slack message. :v:

Edit* You can also use bash + curl to send Slack messages.

or sms, or a mobile notification, or... yeah, there's a lot of poo poo you can script

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

euroshopper posted:

how compatible is opensuse with proprietary printer drivers?

thinking i might install it whenever i can afford to build a desktop

lol

just use CUPS from apple, inc. and ghostscript

also lol if your printer doesn't support or emulate postscript

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

modern printers support URF and PWG and maybe PCLm, PDF, or JPEG

PDF is a subset of postscript, but most of the (laser) printers i've had at least emulate it, brother's version is called BRScript3. my latest lexmark has a legit ps interpreter though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

and PCLm is a subset of PDF

nobody cares

huh, interesting, it's some streamable thing from the wifi alliance. i didn't know about that and just assumed it was related to old-school PCL

so i guess... i cared?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

op if your computer is connected to the internet it should fetch the proper drivers from windows update when you plug it in

wine supports driverless printing via cups, op. sounds like your windows is broken if you need drivers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kazinsal posted:

of course it's written in rust

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
find sucks but at least it's pretty much available everywhere and most of the implementations are similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

Bad news, amigo - that's a command line tool with flags and arguments. Stone age poo poo. Nice version control, grandpas. This what y'all used to program ENIAC?

*shuffles punch cards* well actually,

wait gently caress