Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Greed is eternal posted:

install windows

install cygwin

do everything you'd do in linux but replace the commands 'apt-get' or 'yum' or 'pacman' with a nice GUI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the Linux filesystem layout is stupid

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are maybe one or two things that osx does w/ window management that I'd like in windows but everything else is awful.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
prob my fav recently added feature is the thing where you hover over an item in the task bar and get a thumbnail preview of the app and/or its tabs and then if you hover over the tabs it brings that window/tab forward for as long as you're hovering.

altho for Linux I would suggest you start by adding font rendering that doesn't look like garbage. also hire someone to fix your icons. their all gross. altho tbqh I don't really even use Linux that much these days let alone a Linux gui. like really "just make it totally like windows" is your best option. that runs counter to linuxism but its also why it would be good.

also I just got a little booklet for redhate training. can you take me off your mailing list? thanks.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mouse gestures are bad and so is expose.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Let me know when you are seeing bad font rendering. We recently heavily improved the freetype autohinter, and so there's a few regressions here and there. Screenshots go a long way.

We hired four of them. They make some pretty great icons now.

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/#icons

All the mailing lists we manage internally have an unsubscribe button at the bottom. If it doesn't work, forward it to me at jasper@redhat.com . That usually means one of our marketing partners hosed up again. We have strict rules about no spamming.

I haven't used a Linux gui since like redhate/centos 5.2 or something and then it was the default gnome which is that really ugly one thats been on Linux forever. so I probably haven't seen ur newer guis.

I meant a litteral mail item. snail mail. it was also a joke.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

oval office AND PASTE posted:

i'm using my on-chip GPU and don't have any performance problems. i don't recall the shell ever claiming to support gestures.

stop using tabs, use individual instances, spread them across workspaces (relevant to whatever you're working on in that space)

$5 says the response is "b-b-but that breaks ~my workflow~"

the windows 7 taskbar solution is superior because it handles both the separate window and the separate tab scenarios the same way.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

firefox does it too, don't know about chrome.

it's not as convenient as expose though

yeah its more convenient

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk why youd use an app that would purposefully break the preview window for no reason. thats pretty dumb.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

we only suffer 'tabs' to cater to environments that didn't have workspaces (like windows still doesn't) or to users didn't use them even if they were available

there's coming to be less and less reason for tabbed anything on a desktop

it took years for support to show up in firefox, it still wasn't enabled by default, and it didn't work when i enabled it. i haven't used windows in six months, maybe it's changed since then. but windows 7 came out in 2009 and if it took them until late 2013 to turn this feature on, i can't imagine it's a trivial thing that any app can just turn on

i don't use chrome much but i don't remember it working there, either

actually its an extremely trivial thing if you're using the systems native ui components. even those ancient window w/ smaller interior windows (I forget the name of it) windows 3.11 style apps supported it cause its all just calls down to the native apis.

failfox probably uses gtk or some similar garbage if it didn't work or something., idk if thats right though cause I seem to recall even firefox had it like a few months into the win7 beta. I cant know for sure cause I don't use bad browsers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

no, i remember it took a year or so after windows 7 release for it to even work into the testing builds, which i switched to right away and was disappointed that it never worked

i followed it closely because i really loved the feature and couldn't understand why apps didn't/couldn't implement it immediately

obviously in wpf is braindead easy http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff699128.aspx and that stuff all just binds down to windows forms or other win32 stuff. firefox must have its own internal window manager. that would also explain why it took them so long to fix their fonts by moving to the newer font system or whatever in vista.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Genuinely honest, I don't use workspaces. They never fit into my workflow. So I'm not very familiar with the workspace code, or the arguments for/against them or why people are mad.

I'll relay the feedback to people who are more familiar with it.

workspaces are dumb and you should remove them. they are a hack that prevents you from fixing the problem they're supposed to solve

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
whats wrong w/ yum?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh yeah the index updates do take forever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

"oh cool, programming is hard and i can respect that a lot."

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
osx is just a bad Linux and Linux is a bad os. so osx is a bad, bad os.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there should be 2 package modes:
Extremely Autistic - only installs the bare minimum to make the thing do core functions.
Autistic - installed by default. installs everything to make it work like a normal Linux user wants it to.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

linux's credibility as a platform

:cawg:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im not using either, but Silverlight will continue to work for decades and winrt is still the future of windows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

you can scale anything if you have a blank check.

i dont think netflix had it 'easier' but it's certainly 'easier' when your platform architecture is designed that way from the very beginning. instead of shoehorning some crufty piece of poo poo into teh clod

Netflix definitely has it easier. they're like 99.9999% reads and the writes they do aren't latency sensitive

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a startup doesn't become a business until they realize they need java/c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Perplx posted:

Cygwin sucks it's performance sucks, you can't rely on the scheduler, there is even more newline character bullshit then normal and it has small package library

I wrote bash script on Cygwin and then I had to port it to linux because sort didn't work the same way, and how case sensitivity works is retarded, once it was ported it was about 100x faster then Cygwin

Cygwin sucks cause posix sucks. if you are using posix you have already failed so don't bring that poo poo over to windows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sassafras posted:

try to pretend that computers haven't changed since 1960?

this is the entire point of Linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that would probably be the best thing for Linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Only an idiot would think that switching to Linux would lower costs. There were a few projects at Red Hat that started out with the initiative of "lower the price of a starting Linux sysadmin" to compete with Windows. They pivoted away from that goal, unfortunately.

the only company that could possibly make a Linux compete w/ windows TCO has abandoned the concept.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

the moral of the story is never install a linux.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

keyvin posted:

My programmer/engineer friend said I should install arch

he is neither a programmer nor a friend.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

what's the unix philosophy again?

the customer is always wrong.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no they don't.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
u can resize the command prompt to way longer if u want but it doesn't matter cause you don't need a command prompt in windows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right click the title bar or w/e at the top and go to properties then in layout set the window size how u want it. theres other options there if you really want to change them but who cares you're only ever gonna go in there to ping and traceroute.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

weldcome to powerhell

don't use powershell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

or to work with the product we're developing at work :smith:

shameful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol macs are so bad you have to reinstall the os when you get it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk what systemd is but it must be good if its making greybeards quit Linux.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

it's like launchd but not as good because it doesn't have Mach underneath

idk what launchd is but I do know that mach is bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

well, a good use of self signed in the wild is intranet/corp poo poo where they run a CA and push the root to alt heir machines like i said earlier. but that's about it.

but i digress heavily

that's not self signed tho. self signed is a certificate with no signer (other than itself). the only somewhat legitimate use of a self signed cert is out of the box/unprovisioned device configurations.

even if ur testing you should be able to request a legit cert from your internal ca instead of generating your own. theres no reason you should have self signed certs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also dnssec seems really stupid, but maybe I don't understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
who owns the signing keys in dnssec and how is trust established + how are domain owners validated?