Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Skreemer posted:

Anyone follow Moto2? Nakagami is one of my favorite "also rans" in Moto2. The guy raced the wheel off the bike last year and generally came in way down the grid because he had used up his tires. He finished 2nd in Qatar 2014 and I was hoping maybe with the new team and a new year he'd be in the points. Looks like his team fitted an air intake that's not allowed and he's been disqualified.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Race%20Director%20explains%20Nakagami%20disqualification

Oh man, that is super disappointing. I like the way he rides, and I thought this 2nd place finish was a good sign for the season. I hope he'll still be near the front, sideways bikes are cool. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm pretty sure Nakagami will get a win this year, especially if he can ease up on his tires a bit more.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Like a boss

Doohan, Ago, Vettel, Fittipaldi

http://twitter.com/marcmarquez93/status/448801103023308803

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pop quiz: How many world championships between them without cheating and looking it up?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

22, 24ish? I don't know Fittipaldi.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

dreesemonkey posted:

Since there isn't a specific dirt racing thread this past week's supercross race in Toronto was great to watch.

I'm still several races behind, it's been an awesome season though. How many racing series have four previous champions duking it out at the front?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Zool posted:

I'm still several races behind, it's been an awesome season though. How many racing series have four previous champions duking it out at the front?

Yea it's nuts, the field is so deep when there are about 10 guys that could potentially win each week.

If you haven't watched, check CBS sports for the 5 part "Supercross: Behind the scenes" documentary, it's really good. I think only 3 parts have been aired so far. There's some great shots in there, specifically one I remember is Vilapoto, Reed, Dungy, and Stewart all in the turn. That's like 9 championships right there going through a turn. Bad rear end.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm a lapsed viewer who returned to watching motorsports (F1 and MotoGP, mainly) and I have a newbie question:

How come MotoGP isn't getting the attention it deserves, considering it has a cast of interesting racers, competitive races and spectacular crashes for the crashloving folk.

Is it the lack of sponsors? Dorna not being as prominent as FOM?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'd think that depends on where you are. MGP seems pretty big in South Euro and South America.

There are a lot of reasons why motorsport takes a back seat to sportsballs in the US (venues unsuitable for other entertainment uses being a huge one) and even within that you've got the monolith of NASCAR and motocross / supercross stealing eyeballs from both F1 and MGP. A likely reason here is the down-to-earth nature of those series, allowing fans to cheaply re-enact their favorite parts - NASCAR has the most proletarian roots of any motorsport on the planet. F1 and MGP have always been exotic and obscure and packed with sneering wine-drinking Euros.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I would guess because motorcycle use is possibly less prevalent in the US and therefore fewer people are interested in motorcycle racing. I have no stats to back that up, though.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The US has two GP races so MotoGP is doing pretty well in the states when compared to say ~2000 when we had a world champion and no races. Motorcycle racing will always be a niche sport here in the states and I'm fine with that. The real danger MotoGP faces right now is nobody but the Spanish is breeding much in the way of new young riders. Lots of Spanish national anthems being played in all three levels of MotoGP.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Cycle Asylum › 2014 Racing Thread - Nobody But The Spanish Are Breeding

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

There's some Brits and Italians coming up. Still fairly Spanish though..

Honestly I don't mind, if they can ride well all the luck to them. I'll cheer for the Aussies first, but I still like watching everyone. Once they're racing doesn't matter where they're from - all look the same in their suits.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I long to be a sneering wine-drinking Euro.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Rossi is hanging it up

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
ah yes, trusted news source motegp.com

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
You're no fun

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm not gonna lie, motomatters had me for a few minutes this morning.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dellikose posted:

You're no fun

WE DON'T JOKE ABOUT THE DOCTOR HANGING IT UP AROUND HERE, MISTER.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'd laugh if Red Bull read it and went ahead with it. Seems like a logical idea, especially if they can actually buy the entire series for what it costs to run an F1 team for a year.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It might actually be better if Red Bull ran it, but who knows.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Honestly it'd probably get better coverage in the states, which would be nice. Not sure how I feel about BT's coverage. Commentators were a pretty big step down.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

The BT commentators give me the shits, especially how they pronounce the Espargaro names and how they focus so drat much on the british riders. We get it, you're british, there's another 20 odd guys on the grid though.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Not that we really needed any more convincing, but here's more evidence why road racing is the best racing:

(click for frickin huge)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't really consider myself a hardcore racing fan though I certainly keep tabs on a lot of it, and it's surprising how many of those tracks I recognize and can name from memory.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Before I was really into bikes I always considered the Nurburgring to be the holy grail. The IOM just loving dwarfs it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The only track I've ever been on isn't even in there :(

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

KodiakRS posted:

Not that we really needed any more convincing, but here's more evidence why road racing is the best racing:

(click for frickin huge)

So are they really all to scale? I had no idea Tsukuba was so small.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shimrod posted:

The BT commentators give me the shits, especially how they pronounce the Espargaro names and how they focus so drat much on the british riders. We get it, you're british, there's another 20 odd guys on the grid though.

The B in BT sports probably has a lot to do with that, its not like the BBC and Eurosport guys didn't prattle on about the plucky brits all the time too.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

echomadman posted:

The B in BT sports probably has a lot to do with that, its not like the BBC and Eurosport guys didn't prattle on about the plucky brits all the time too.

Yeah, they did, but not that much.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The BT guys pronounce Aleix's name correctly, finally. Toby Moody and his "Alex Es-spag-a-row".

They were a bit worse at gushing over Brits too, Hodgson telling Smith 'You did us proud' when he crashed out was a cringe.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Nitramster posted:

So are they really all to scale? I had no idea Tsukuba was so small.

Yeah, A lap of Tsukuba is only 1.27 miles long. Basically half the length of a lap at Indy.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Shimrod posted:

Yeah, they did, but not that much.

I seem to remember two quite lengthy pre-race segments in a single year from the BBC on Cal, plus the constant lengthier interviews with Cal on the grid.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

nsaP posted:

The BT guys pronounce Aleix's name correctly, finally. Toby Moody and his "Alex Es-spag-a-row".

They were a bit worse at gushing over Brits too, Hodgson telling Smith 'You did us proud' when he crashed out was a cringe.

Its how they say the last name that annoys me. They pause for every syllable.

Maybe I'm thinking of different old British presenters. I mean the ones who work for dorna and do the commentary for the official feed, on the motogp website. They're the ones we aussies get even with Darryl and dipshit doing pre-race stuff and catching us up after breaks.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

hayden. posted:

I seem to remember two quite lengthy pre-race segments in a single year from the BBC on Cal, plus the constant lengthier interviews with Cal on the grid.

Cal's pretty entertaining, though, and watching the little Spanish boys try to remember the English words for "good race, bike ran well, thanks <brand name here>" gets old. I'm sure if I was a native Spanish or Italian speaker that British sports TV would be unbearable.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cal's pretty entertaining, though, and watching the little Spanish boys try to remember the English words for "good race, bike ran well, thanks <brand name here>" gets old. I'm sure if I was a native Spanish or Italian speaker that British sports TV would be unbearable.

I loved the Australian kid, Jack Miller's comments after the Moto3 race. In the MotoGP live feed, while everyone else is spouting generic crap about brands and giving 110%, he's talking about the end of the race and says "I thought, just gently caress it..." and it was so nice to hear someone not just saying rehearsed bullshit. I know that English would be hard for the non-native speakers, but at the same time, it's good to hear someone who can and will actually express themselves.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Rossi will, he's good with the press but he also has very honest commentary sometimes.

Julian Ryder is entertaining but not very knowledgeable and the other BT guy is a tool. I miss Toby Moody, which is a sentence I thought I'd never say.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Saying Ryder isn't knowledgeable is quite a funny opinion and there's been 1 race. Give BT time.

http://www.amazon.com/MotoGP-Season-Review-2013-Officially/dp/0857334085

Note the author, 10 years running.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah Ryder knows more about motogp than just about anyone else in the announcing booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What Ryder lacks, as did Moody, is the mindset of being a racer. They try but never quite get there and you could see that when Mamola used to do the pit lane reporting, or when they had a guest rider commentating.

BT has 2 riders, plus Jules now. Once they sort out the hiccups and get into a zone I think this will be great coverage. I Will miss Spaulders monotone droning though.

• Locked thread