Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Paper Mac posted:

Gordon Chang's been writing that article for the last 10 years, I think.

Yeah The Coming Collapse of China was published in 2001 and hasn't changed his tune since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not if they say what their intentions are for 5-6 months before they undertake an action. In the civilized, democratic world, we call that 'signaling'

Of course, I don't very much expect Chinese bureaucrats to know how to signal. Hell, just look at how they manage traffic lights:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M2HuoV2S62w

China's economy, run by and for the Communist party and not the people of China.

The solution is clear: down with the party, up with Taiwan's reconquest.

Yeah that's a great example, point to a municipal example and generalize it to the entire Politburo. You loving hack.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Fojar38 posted:

Tell me more about the technocratic capabilities of the Chinese Communist Party.

So you agree pointing to a traffic light to generalize to the capabilities of the party is a good example? Tell me more about not understanding how examples work.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let me explain something to you, menino. This business of political graft requires a certain amount of finesse. The rot starts at the bottom and flows all the way up. Why have one-second traffic lights? Because your city party bosses need to collect bribes to pay to their county party bosses to pay to their district county bosses. Who cares whether the expenditure on the traffic light is sustainable, or whether the infrastructure will be utilized rather than ignored? The money keeps on flowing up, and in China, that's all that matters.

What sort of deep, soul-level boredom do you struggle with on a day to day basis that compels you to spend so much time on crafting an online persona that, despite having its own flimsy internal stylistic logic, is completely wrong about so many issues?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

icantfindaname posted:

Doesn't the federal/national CCP have very little control over many of the actions of the provincial and local party apparatus? I know Xi's trying to change that but that's how it worked for 40 years as far as I was aware. Most actual governing and administration is done at that level, and even if the national CCP is competent (:laffo:) the local organization out in the boonies isn't. That's a totally real and legitimate critique

Yeah I agree. But that's a pretty standard Chinese refrain for years: "Tian Gao Huang Di Yuan" the mountains are high and the emperor is far away. Nobody should be basing their opinions of Beijing's forward guidance on markets based on the competency of some local potentate in Guangdong. It's a ridiculous example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Japan's per capita GDP grew at roughly the same rate at the rest of the developed world throughout the 90s

• Locked thread