Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

How much cut rate Vodka can you buy and/or drink in those 7 hours though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

So is this promoting actual investor confidence or are we seeing 'buy in before the collaps musical chairs II: Electric Boogaloo'? Cause I'm leaning towards the latter unless the government just mandates that stock market prices are only allowed to go and we see the Chinese shadow stock market emerge where everyone may or may not be losing huge amounts of money and it's all completely unregulated and off the books.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

You guys just don't understand great Chinese people. In current political situation it is clear that China is great, 5,000 year history shows this. Stock market climbing, bubbles, crashing, this is all Imperial mindset of America and lapdog Canada. Chinese people are not constrained within Imperialist system and show true Love of Country by turning stock Market graphs red colour. Colour of China. This is true Love of Country. Please do not concern yourself with internal matter.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Would it be cheaper to just let the crash happen and then bail everyone out after instead of propping it up?

Depends what the cost is in blood if the crash leads to widespread disillusionment in the Party.

And I don't mean an immediate mobs with pitchforks reaction but the Party would no doubt fear that anything that undermines their success story for China may be heaping fuel onto the bonfire of popular dissatisfaction with their rule. Xi dada doesn't want to lose the Mandate of Heaven.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Wow, when the final part of the whole process is 'Well this is probaby ok if we hypothetically do X, Y and Z at some point. So we'll approve it now and someone will probably get round to doing the things necessary for the approval at some point in the future.'

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

It's super cool for the company too as it eliminates a huge part of their expenses and frees up operating capital to pay higher monetary salaries to top level managers while leaving the compensation of their employees entirely down to the vagaries of the market. Oh that new product launch by an unrelated team was a high profile failure for an otherwise successful company? Looks like you just got a 5% pay cut. Of course it's perfectly valid if that's an option the employee wants to go with but when it becomes a standard business practice poo poo is hosed.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Fargo Fukes posted:

The UK is, in relative terms, less powerful and relevant now than we have been since Napoleon, and we have something of a rocky history with China. On the off chance they do inherit the world we'd rather not be in their crosshairs.

I'd like to add that the UK also has a more involved history with China than most other Western nations, what with having a few historical wars and treaties and the like. There was a lot of ink spilled on both sides regarding Hong Kong and the Foreign Office has never been overly shy about keeping China happy wrt Hong Kong (one of the big reasons democratic reforms were never made was China threatened to invade and take the island if Britain looked like they were going to put in a functioning democractic system because it would have made reclaiming the place probably a massive pain). It also shouldn't be underestimated how much UK government policy is influenced by London's economic concerns and between how much money Chinese businessmen and tourists spend in the place and how much money the City has tied up in China, it has a big impact.

On a much more pop-psychology personal belief note, I think Britain seems to be a bit more susceptible to Chinese talk over unfair treaties and a Century of Humiliation because the UK was leading the way on much of that. So a dose of post Imperial guilt and a fear that the Chinese might actually mean it and be genuinely upset when it comes to Britain.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

The UK is actually unironically expecting China to grow exponentially forever.

Well the UK needs someone to keep its nuclear power plants in responsible hands for when Jeremy 'Red Terror' Corbyn gets into power.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Well currently in China there have been additional controls to limit sending to corporate accounts, so companies can't easily their money to foreign accounts or subsidiaries. Unless they're transferring it to the CEO's personal account which I'm sure sold never go awry.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

caberham posted:

Then you have the giant old cartel like VISA and MasterCard who do gently caress all and charge crazy high merchant fees. That's why you can't pay your taxes or use tap and go for low cost transactions like public transportation.

Google wallet, Apple Pay, square, heck even PayPal tried to make improvements to consumer finance but got stonewalled by the old guard of banks and credit card systems.

I just wanted to say that sounds like an issue with North American payment systems. In the UK and a lot of Europe we introduced tap and go pretty widely a couple of years ago, it actually freaked me out a little bit coming back from Malaysia because it just feels very dangerous being able to pay for a round of drinks just by tapping your card against the machine. A few card companies seem to have phone apps now, apple pay is getting more common but I don't think Google Wallet has really managed to take off at all. I guess they haven't found a way to make it that profitable as I haven't seen any marketing around it.

I'm too paranoid to put payment stuff into my phone having had it stolen once. Having to change all my passwords was bad enough I don't want to have to change all my cards as well if I lose another one.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

There is still a noticeable quality difference in the steel from some regions of China It's really visible in shipping. Vessel's made of Chinese steel tend to corrode and age noticeably faster. 2-3 year old vessels will often look like 10 year old vessels.

I think he meant the same product as in a vessel with the same capacity. Even if it's of a vastly lower quality this isn't immediately apparent and the true additional costs usually take a a decade or two to really be felt. Especially as shipping generally has been contracting groups needing to replace old fleet will be very conscious of short term savings that will hopefully be made up for with an industry uptick a few years down the line.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Hey hey hosed Stone Cold, Britannia ruled these waves when the USA was still pirating novels! Although as a son of Irish immigrants I guess I should just be angry about that but we were pretty complicit in the whole project. I think we should all be held accountable for that imperialism but China should be forgiven and granted a blank slate for past crimes.

Although I guess that means the Irish should also get a pass as we suffered. So I guess I can complain about current Han occupations? This is very complex, how exactly does one work out when to be up in arms over oppression?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I think they've calmed down since realising Trump's an idiot who really doesn't understand how global economics works. Now they just need to worry about how to describe trade deals that greatly benefit China in terms that sound positive for the US (such as equal taxation for imports for finished consumer products or similar) and convince Trump that trade deals with other multilateral trade deals are a bad idea and the US is totally getting used by all these other Asian nations that pretend to be their allies and should just get out of the whole hemisphere.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

A lot of the stuff I read about China's development projects in Africa and South America sound like some combination of exporting their own infrastructure spending to maintain government fueled GDP growth and early period British Imperialism where, instead of recruiting indigenous peoples to produce basic products for export, the British just exported 5 million Scots and had them do the work. The real test comes in 20-30 years when China has improved its ability for force projection and some local government refuses to pay up or orders Chinese people/companies to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

It's almost like the majority of respondents based their opinion on which country they thought capable on entering and intruding in their domestic sphere. Except for Italy who is apparently worried about China a lot. I do like the redirect though after claiming that saying France is better able to project force is an endorsement of imperialism. Yes statements of facts are an expression of political support or condemnation. Saying that France in 1940 was ill prepared to combat a militarily superior Germany is actually me stating my preference for Nazism over soft, weak bellied liberal democracy, if I actually like democracy I would be standing here insisting France was just as strong, if not stronger and in fact their loss was a sign of the unfair global hegemony enjoyed by fascists at the time which negated the infinite strength lent to France by the democratic engagement of it citizen.

Also what's that small light blue country with a single star in Kenya?

• Locked thread