Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cultural Imperial posted:

That's why I find this topic fascinating. China's gone from an agrarian medieval society to 21st century economic titan in the span of 60 years.

How long did it take America?

It only took the USSR about 30 years, command economies are good for short term economic growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slaan posted:

There have been detailed maps of most of China since like 4000 BCE...

He's talking about the path of industrialization.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ardennes posted:

That also has the effect of not having an indigenous base of knowledge to call back on to make your own revolutionary improvements.

That's how Industrialization works. You get a bunch of people copying the other guys (Germany -> UK, Japan -> Europe, etc) and then when you're rich you pump some of that money into education so you can make an educated base and innovate yourself.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Has the average size of the apartments remained constant though?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The salaries in China for bureaucrats is one of the more compelling reasons for why capping pay for legislators is a dumb idea.

They'll still get the money, it'll just be mostly in graft instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

If graft goes unpunished people will do it regardless of their salary.

It is sort of a chicken-egg thing but I don't think even in China you can live that well on $5k USD/year.

I guess according to this the average household income is ~$10k/year but I imagine that's kind of low:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2010/06/24/one-big-difference-between-chinese-and-american-households-debt/

e: corrected units because I'm dumb.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FrozenVent posted:

Are you saying that the average household income in Chian is one hundred and twenty thousands United States Dollars per year?

Because I don't think that's right.

Pretend I said year instead of month. :downs:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OwlBot 2000 posted:

What happens when everything collapses, does China blame the market and start rolling back liberalization measures?

Fair amount of unrest, the major infrastructure projects will probably stop/be slowed, and a fair amount of misery for a while.

The thing about liberalization measures though is that since Tiananmen Square China has been fairly strict on actual political measures (freedom of speech, etc). This may actually be a catalyst for loosening some of those, though I wouldn't count out some bloodshed first.

e: I predict two major spots of unrest. The first would be the fastest growing parts of Southern China, especially Guangdong and Fujian. They've been some of the fastest growing parts of China and a significant part of that is probably due to cheap credit. The other major spot will be the rural areas of central China. There's a large migratory population that goes from there to Southern China and back again (think 100 million people), so when the jobs dry up they will be the hardest effected and the ones least resistant to bad times.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 10, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Just to be clear, there is no real chance of political liberalization regardless of what happens, right? Like the scenario required for the Chinese government to actually change here would be basically apocalyptic, correct?

If by liberalization you mean "multi party system" then yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Note that while rail transport will be faster than ships the vast majority of freight will still go by ships because they're really loving big.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

So just how fundamental to China's economy is corruption? My impression so far is that local party politicians have their fingers in essentially all levels of the economy, and basically interfere in order to enrich themselves and curry political favor. Is this sustainable in the sense that it can coexist with healthy economic growth or is it slowly veering China's economy off track with perverse incentives? Is this one of those questions where nobody really knows the answer and you just have to wait and find out?

It seems about normal with how most developing countries act (albeit at a different scale). Back in the late 19th Century one of the most powerful positions in the US government was the Collector of the Port of New York, because he was the guy that collected the tariffs on goods going through the New York harbor.

Corruption as you define it is probably not conductive to government policy but for economics I would say there are probably worse evils. It probably hurts the people worse than the businesses, but that's always true.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oracle posted:

But India's a democracy!

Yeah the response was more to the question "do democratic countries fare better than undemocratic ones".

The basic lesson in general is more "developing countries are corrupt, be they autocracies or democracies".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eletriarnation posted:

Well, I've heard it stated that America uses 25% of the world's energy with 5% of the population. Given where most of our energy comes from, using 5 times as much of it globally seems pretty perilous if it were even possible.

There's a very high probability that that's including things like transportation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheBalor posted:

Unfortunately, plains agriculture isn't something that can be relied on in the long term. Most of the plains are reliant on aquifers to irrigate, and these are all being drained at a rapid clip.

And that's why we should ban drought resistant GMOs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheBalor posted:

Christ, are people reading my posts at all, or just banging their faces against reply? That's exactly what I'm saying! I'm not saying that Californians will be starving, I'm saying Chinese people will!

Except the population in China is expected to peak within the next 30-40 years.

Actually maybe even sooner than that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

whatever7 posted:

I read in one of the economy lecture that the forecoming global warming (something like 2-3 degrees in the next 80 years) will be bad for Europe and subcontinent but benefitial to countries like US and China.

The main impact on Europe would be disruption of the Gulf Stream which would cause their winters to get a lot colder (seriously look at how north Europe is, it's crazy).

Fojar38 posted:

I don't know enough about China's geography but isn't most of China's farmland in the south?

Not especially, there's definitely an impact but what you'll probably see is rice creeping northwards:

(Shanghai is ~31 N)

computer parts fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 29, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pedro0930 posted:

I read that as "not beneficial, but not as bad as one might imagine."

I am not certain, but I thought the point of the 3 degrees raise in temperature is that it will be the point of no return where a bunch of terrible stuff well start to cascade and self-reinforcing to the point where human action will pale in comparison?

No, it's just the point where prediction becomes impossible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kassad posted:

Will we? I thought the effects of climate change were only going to become really obvious by 2100 or so.

Edit: Well, maybe a decade or two earlier than that but I was born in 1985.

2050 is what most of the predictions are aiming towards.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Claverjoe posted:

If you said less labor-intensive instead of less relevant, I'd be happy to agree with you. Can't agree with the thought that knowing where food is coming from for 7 billion people isn't important.

It's becoming more efficient both in the yield/laborer sense and the yield/area sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Industrial society and modernism have been around for a bit, I don't think this is ascribable to that when it doesn't seem to happen in any other developed country

Or maybe it just happened in the 19th Century for most of the developed world?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

So why exactly don't they just reform the hukou or whatever? It's not like it would be hard to do, just change the law so municipal services are based on residency. What benefit is there for that outweighs the drawbacks? Is it convenient for municipalities and local politicians?

Because urban areas have benefits that are attractive enough to get every rural person rushing in, and that's a problem when half of your country is rural. I mean even right now you have 100 million migrant workers who go from the countryside to the cities and back again, and that's under threat of being deported at any time.

For a preview of what would happen if you abolished the hukou you can look to India, where there's massive amounts of unrest because they can't build services fast enough.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Isn't the hukou at least partly responsible for the housing crisis there because so much housing is under the table because there aren't enough official registrations to go around? Like is it actually effective at slowing down the migration to cities or is it still happening just with no way to otherwise control or regulate it?

It is happening, but if this is true it doesn't sound like they're actually buying homes

http://thediplomat.com/2013/10/china-urbanization-and-hukou-reform/

quote:

Figures from the National Bureau of Statistics show that in 2012 the average monthly wage of a migrant worker was just 2290 yuan compared to 3897 yuan for permanent urban residents. Migrant workers also save a far higher percentage of their income than permanent residents due to the lack of a social safety net. Their savings rate is 50 percent of income compared to 30 percent for permanent urban households. In terms of home ownership the disparity is even greater. A 2011 survey showed that just 0.7 percent of migrants had purchased a home in their adopted cities. This compares with a permanent resident rate of typically between 60 and 80 percent.

In fact (on the next page) it seems to indicate that rural migrants specifically don't want an urban hukou, because it means they give up all claim on the land they have in the rural areas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Surely at least some of them want to remain there, otherwise why would black market housing be such a big thing? Isn't part of the problem with housing there that housing is built that nobody is buying? Wouldn't getting rid of hukou restrictions mean more people could legally buy housing? Or is the overbuilt housing a different problem?

AFAIK the overbuilt housing thing is due to speculators; the rent/mortgage for one of those places is vastly above even an average urban salary. Rural people have a much lower average salary so it probably wouldn't change much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

golden bubble posted:

Either larger parts of the world need to stay oppressed and poor, or the western lifestyle needs to find a way to consume/waste less stuff.

And the latter is happening. I mean there are stupidly easy ways to reduce resource consumption right now that aren't being implemented simply due to inertia.

If we didn't have (e.g.) the incandescent lightbulb brigade we'd save about 90% of the energy on lighting that we currently consume.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mozi posted:

"Not enough resources" + "Too many people" = I hope nobody's patented my 'soylent' idea yet.

Well, someone literally named their nutrition shake as "Soylent" not too long ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vesi posted:

This in addition to a proper social safety net with chinese characteristics to reduce reliance on family should do it.

They're probably going to do this as the country becomes more urbanized. Right now they're just trying to avoid the rush to the cities that India currently struggles with, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

whatever7 posted:

When China's GDP get close to the United States' GDP, there will be all kind of accounting tricks go into effect to lower the reported number. There is a Chinese saying "The bird that stick its neck out gets shot."

Probably just switching to per-capita GDP.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

At this rate I'd give the current Communist regime...oh...20-30 years before it implodes into a democracy centered in Hong Kong minus TIbet and Uighuristan. Given that the retirement of the revolutionary generation causes massive socioeconomic upheval.

HKers really are the most self centered people in the world.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

China, as well as the other countries in East Asia, pad their employment statistics. This leads to inefficiency because businesses over hire and do not use many of the automation techniques most post industrial societies use. Automation and greater integration of computers would streamline production and probably up productivity. It would mean less jobs and corruption though so it will never happen until the population begins to decline. This is all theoretical too because Japan still operates on this model despite it being pointed out that it's not going to work anymore. Experts are saying the population should drop below 1 billion by 2050 but I've also read that China doesn't want this to happen for some reason. A net population drop is a good thing for China and would only increase its production levels.

That's not padding employment, that's doing what's traditionally been the cheapest way to make a product. Automation is actually really really expensive and annoying (especially when major infrastructure like the internet didn't really exist in large parts of the country 7 years ago) and commonly it's actually cheaper to just stick with people. It's like saying that the US pads employment statistics by using wait staff instead of tablets for order processing/payment.

It also sounds like you're using a weird definition of "efficiency". Something can be incredibly profitable and still have a low revenue:# workers ratio, and something can have a high revenue:worker ratio and be barely breaking even because you spent $20 million on machines.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dilbertschalter posted:

The second point you raise is a very real problem, the first is just CPC style scaremongering.

There's an urban-rural divide pretty much everywhere (there certainly is in the US and parts of Europe), it's just especially dangerous in China because there's about equal numbers of each group and there's an institutional bias against the rural people (hukou et all).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ocrumsprug posted:

There has been a Khalistan independence movement for decades, and has resulted in some fairly terrible acts of terrorism of the years.

There's also a bunch of Maoists camped out in large parts of the country.

FrozenVent posted:

India's basically China without the veneer of propaganda, and the ridiculous growth rate fueled by a command economy.

India's growth rate is still pretty massive it's just a lot less controlled (the hukou prevents at least some of the rural residents from rushing to the cities but in India you have massive deficiencies in services).

e: Jesus Christ.

quote:

Percentage Urban
2011 2025 2050
50.6 65.4 77.3 China
31.3 37.2 51.7 India

computer parts fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 27, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Imaginary GF posted:

Chinese economics question: Say you're a provincial official with a good unreported revenue stream. What are the investment and banking options open to you?

Stacks of cash you hide in your apartment and/or land investment.

Not even joking.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fojar38 posted:

This plays a significant part in it. There's a narrative that's been permeated everywhere since the 2008 Financial Crisis that developing economies will soon be the masters of the world and that America and the West are in decline. There are a ton of true believers in this, particularly in countries like Russia and China and I suspect that plays no small part in why they've both acted far more belligerent as of late.

America is in "decline" relative to earlier but that's because there's nowhere to go but down after the post WW2 situation. The key point though is that some believe the narrative is "[BRICS country] will take the US's position" when in reality it will be "[BRICS country] will be comparable with the US in 20XX but will not have a very large share of the pie".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Pretty much, yes. They don't invade each other and, at least recently, don't put up massive trade barriers

Your definition of democracy seems to be "agrees with the West".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Do you have any examples of democracies that don't agree with the "West", or have consistently pursued a policy of military aggression towards it?

Argentina re: The Falklands.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

The "the West sucks" narrative is bullshit pushed by the CCP as a justification for political control, HTH. There aren't actually any democracies hostile to the West, even countries like Iran mostly just want to be left alone and don't have any fundamental beef

Define hostile, since apparently Russia doesn't count.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh yeah here's another one: Pakistan rightfully elects people and were literally hiding the number 1 wanted individual of the US for several years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

I think democracies tend more towards isolationism than anything

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Well, the US is far and away the preeminent world power, and faced essentially no consequences of any kind for its militarism, which isn't true for other countries. If China went to war over the SCS and was embargoed by the rest of the world it would be hurt very badly. China has nothing to gain by picking a fight with the US, or even with Vietnam or the Philippines, and a democratic government would take actions that reflect that.

The US was doing this poo poo long before it was a preeminent world power. There's maybe 20 years of the past 200 years where I would categorize the US as "isolationist".

quote:

I think the point is basically that democracies are a much better guarantee of good government.

And that hasn't been proven. You have at best shown that democracies tend to form around capitalist economies (but as history shows, they aren't required for capitalism).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Poil posted:

Let me see if I got this straight.

A large portion of the Chinese economy is made up of constructing and producing things no one actually buys or uses. And they pay for this by taking loans that aren't regulated. On top off that all of the numbers they have, and presumably also base decisions off of to some extent, are so fudged the whole country could look like Detroit and still be in an economic growth? Please tell me I'm understanding this wrong. :psyduck:

"Look like Detroit" is a bit of an exaggeration but yes. This is sort of the opposite of what happened in the US/Europe, where the Chinese just decided to say "build all the infrastructure for stimulus" and didn't stop.

• Locked thread