Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

steinrokkan posted:

Tsarist Russia wasn't medieval. For instance the giant hydroprojects realised at the Aral Sea were originally drafted by a Tsarist commission. And there was an industrial basis already present throughout Russia - how else do you think the country survived the WWI?

Russia manifestly did not survive World War I. The government collapsed, everything became warring factions from before the end of WWI all the way up til the 20s. Numerous components of former Imperial Russia had their independence, already secured by force of arms in 1917 and early 1918, confirmed by the same terms that brought the November armistice for the central powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You're making the unfounded assumption that they will care about there being more unemployed people than there are now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

You're assuming the massive amount of starving unemployed won't start poo poo.

China doesn't have nearly the welfare programs western countries do; an unemployed populace is likely to grow restless really fast.

They don't have room to start poo poo if they're hustled back to the rural areas. It's easy to not hear from them that way.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
And having the Bering Strait rail crossing be to China solves the typical issue with proposed Bering Strait connections - typical ones are just links to Russia, and Russia uses a different track gauge, meaning lengthy waits on one side or the other changing over to other gauges before things can go on their way. Meanwhile a China-funded route would safely stay standard gauge all the way through.

Fojar38 posted:

I wouldn't, particularly since it offers no tangible benefit over flying.

Freight from Chinese factories arriving in the Americas faster ships, but still significantly cheaper than air freight isn't exactly insignificant. Sure they talk up the passenger stuff, but fast freight would be pretty major.

This will never happen without China dumping masses of money into building the thing, but once it was in place it would be pretty heavily used.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 11, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There would be much more significant issues building rail from China to Japan than across the Bering Strait. It would be relatively short between South Korea and Japan, but you'd need to go through North Korea or engage in truly massive crossings from China to South Korea across the Yellow Sea.

You'd need about 240 miles of sea crossing for the shortest route between China and South Korea that doesn't enter North Korean territory, and then another 50 miles of sea crossing between South Korea and Japan. The Bering Sea crossing is "only" 120 miles total of sea crossing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

Bingo.

An 8000 TEU ship can carry 8000 twenty feet containers, or 4000 forty feet containers. Realistically, it's going to be in the middle if it's fully loaded; and it can haul all that poo poo at 21 knots, or 24 MPH. That's a lotsa ton-miles per day.

Your train is going to carry, realistically, 2 forty feet containers per car. That's 2000 cars to carry the equivalent of a single container ship; now those cars have to go up North to Russia, across to Alaska, down the coast through the Rockies... And you have to recover the cost of all the infrastructure that implies, which is going to be significant to say the least. Further, you have to have Russia, Canada and the US on board. All the time. Borders are really easy to close.

Yeah but air cargo is even worse for price and ability to carry but it still gets used. Freight rail would be a middle ground in terms of price and speed. And China doesn't really have to actually recover the costs of building it, it's the kind of out-there prestige project where they're just building something to employ people if it ever actually happened.

Also, acting like Canada and the US are ever going to really disagree is a bit silly. And if China actually built the thing Russia would have a major opening to sell the fuel or electricity to run trains on the thousands of miles through its territory, a sort of thing where Russia would get too much out of it to do more than threaten closing it when they get pissy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dusseldorf posted:

Is it actually that much faster? Freight trains don't run that much faster than cargo ships and over a much longer distance.

Freight trains run pretty fast when you have no stops to make for hundreds of miles and good braking systems. Freight rail runs at 60-70 mph in many places in the US thanks to that.

Edit: and for instance, a route from Shanghai to Seattle by rail through their plan would be about 6000 miles. By sea, it's about 5600 miles. If you run the train at 50 mph that's 120 hours versus about 220 hours for a container ship trundling along at 23 knots. And to say nothing of the common trend of freighters slowing down further because you can recoup major fuel savings.

caberham posted:

Isn't most of China's high speed rail network mostly for passengers? Do they actually slap freight on it at night?

What China's proposing to build is not the same as their current network at all. It's a pie-in-the-sky program and if it was just for passenger rail it'd be sitting idle most of the time.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The thing is the whole scenario already assumes China following through on its wacky plan to build a good 4000 miles of new rail and over 120 miles of undersea tunnels. It would be safe to assume that if they're going to go that far their whole prestige project thing is going to mean they're the ones worrying about paying the maintenance expenses, and unlikely to put some ridiculous charges on their new rail system to recover the costs - that'd lead right to it sitting there unused and making them look bad.

You're also not going to have them build this whole project and not have it carefully engineered to avoid as much risk of landslides or whatever breaking it as possible. You don't get to the point of constructing a 120 mile set of undersea tunnels if you're just going to have bare track sitting unprotected on either side.

Also trucks aren't really going to be a valid comparison here, there is definitely not going to be individual vehicle highways constructed instead.

Edit: Again, there is absolutely nothing practical about building it in the first place, and it doesn't make any sense to do it except as an over-the-top national bragging rights thing. But once it was in place it would be reasonably useful.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

Do you know of any track anywhere that isn't just sitting unprotected? It's what tracks do; they sit there.

At the end of the day, no matter how over-engineered it is, any rail system is dependent on the infrastructure being intact over a long linear distance. You have a break anywhere, and assuming the system is at full utilization, everything stops.

If they don't pass off the cost of the infrastructure to the customer, then they have to subsidize the ever loving poo poo out of it. I have a feeling Panama, the Marshall Island and Liberia are going to have something to say about that at the WTO, (And they'll suddenly have all sorts of resources to start poo poo over there!) amongst other concerned stakeholders.

The charge would be ridiculous because the cost of the system would be ridiculous. Sea shipping is way cheaper and more flexible (The capacity is more elastic and there's little infrastructure required), there's no way a solution involving a 120 mile undersea tunnel is going to be viable for the foreseeable future.

You must have never seen railroads through mountainous areas before to be saying that. You don't just slap some track down and wait for it to have a landslide on a running train.

Breaks are really rather infrequent. Sea ports can get shut down too. You also don't shut down an entire railroad system over one break, nor do you ever have 100% usage of the rails.

We're talking about a project that might seriously cost over a trillion dollars all told (and honestly would take decades to build). It's pretty much impossible to recover the costs associated from the traffic that would use it in any sort of short-term period, so you can bet your rear end it would effectively massively subsidize transport along it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cultural Imperial posted:

I'm confused. Are you guys suggesting that this proposed HSR is going to carry freight? There isn't an HSR in the world that carries freight. This would be revolutionary and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on it. As well, HSR track maintenance cycles are crazy frequent compared to conventional rail.

As an example, Taiwan's High Speed Rail has major problems during typhoon season with landslides and just general debris. The track is inspected every night before it's given the ok and allowed to hurtle through at 300km/h.

You do understand that you can run slower trains on the same lines? Even in the fantasy world where China manages to build this minimum 6000 mile system between major Chinese cities and the lower 48, you're still not going to have hourly departures for your 2 day passenger service.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I'm not aware of any HSR in the world that does this but it sounds like it'd be quite an engineering feat. The next time I see my dad, I'll ask him. He used to be the director of safety and maintenance of an HSR.

There's also no HSR in the world that travels through at least 3000 miles or so of no population centers or regular stops or has hundred mile plus long undersea tunnels built into it.

If you were to build such a crazy big system, you'd certainly stick freight trains on because you'd not have both directions of track with full schedules from passenger services, and you'd have plenty of room in your new build to shift the freights out of the way of the high speed passenger trains if you needed to do so.

FrozenVent posted:

You'd need a second siding just for the HSR trains, or have the HSR slaloming between the freight trains.

Or you schedule your freight trains so the HSR has a clear shot through the line, but then your utilization is going to be atrocious.

It would be unconscionable to build the very long HSR system and not have plenty of places for sidings, or even just building it as 3 or 4 track all the way through.

You end up needing third track enough on short distance medium speed rail.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

So one of the really cool things about an HSR is that the tolerances for the sinking of a section of track are incredibly small. Building an HSR in a seismically active area is a nightmare. So much so that sections of track are built so that they can be literally jacked up if they've sunk too much. I'm no civil engineer, much less a geotech or an expert in rail transportation, but I have a feeling it'd be really expensive to engineer a rail line that can deal with multiple types of payloads.

e: maybe popular science can figure it out for us

You don't need to do anything special to run freight. There's simply no current rail systems where freight can't just run along parallel trackage. You don't stick freight on bullet train rails because there's 3 parallel routes at hand.

Building this China to America by bering strait line on the other hand, most of the route will have absolutely no alternative path. You just build enough room in your system and it's golden for freight.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheBalor posted:

Unfortunately, plains agriculture isn't something that can be relied on in the long term. Most of the plains are reliant on aquifers to irrigate, and these are all being drained at a rapid clip.

We don't do most of our agriculture on the plains. If the plains go than so what? We're down to only producing 2.5x the food we need instead of 4x.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheBalor posted:

I was specifically responding to a comment about the North American plains. :P

Anyway, the chance of a new Dustbowl happening isn't exactly a "So what?" problem, and the plains aren't the only place where water shortages are going to be an issue. Even if American can remain self-sufficient, we might not be able to meet the demand of an increasing Chinese population, as well as those of our allies in a world where the amount of properly arable land is rapidly shrinking.

China will still be able to eat heartily from our still massively overproducing country even with the entire great plains reduced to dust. In fact we might get better meat out of it since grasslands are much less water intensive and you can go bull-wild raising cattle across that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The main thing with global warming is that most areas that are already hosed over will get hosed over harder, and most poor areas will not be able to adapt or move the way richer areas will be able to. It will significantly ruin people all over the planet, but large countries have more room to maneuver in these situations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Well, someone literally named their nutrition shake as "Soylent" not too long ago.

To me, the funniest part of that is that they weren't aware that the Soylent company in both the book and the movie makes food that isn't from people (in fact in the book, Soylent's food is solely made from super cheap crops and trash/sewage, depending on the level fo the product).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Slaan posted:

I would drink from both your labials, to be honest. :guinness:

This isn't a thing that only happens in China, either. Nigeria, especially, has the same thing going on, though they mostly stick with sportswear brands. The football cleats they have on sale are all 'Noike" or "Qddidqs" just like they pointed out "Addidos" in the story. I was surprised to read that there are Chinese companies trying to ape Japanese brands though; I wouldn't think that the Chinese would want a brand that sounds Japanese because of the last 100 years of history.

Sure they hate the Japanese, but they recognize world-renowned brands at the same time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fojar38 posted:

So there's lots of hemming and hawing about China having the largest economy when adjusted for PPP. But when I look at nominal GDP and GDP per capita China is still way behind. How meaningful is the PPP adjustment?

It's not very meaningful. PPP is most designed for comparing what an actual person can buy out of normal goods among countries, it kinda stops being sensical for whole countries except for meaningless dickwaving.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lol at the implication that Chinese retail investors are sophisticated, financially savvy market actors.

I'd say they're on par with 1920s American mass investors, which puts them decently far ahead of 90s Russian "investors" even if they're still going to get owned.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Femur posted:

Why does cutting your hair cost a quarter in China but 20 dollars in the us? No system can quite explain this other than it just is, its history.

Because an average Chinese person makes about $1000 a year while the average American makes 30 times that. Also $20 is pretty expensive for a hair cut in the US, most places you can get it done for $15 or less.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fojar38 posted:

Also China is heading over a demographic cliff and there is no way to mitigate or change that.

Stepping up the execution vans on crimes committed by old people might. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xibanya posted:

Indians will complain about how every time they call customer service they'll get "Manish" from "Bangalore" who is obviously Chad from Phoenix.

If China's economy craters in the next decade, what consequences will that have for the American economy? Will it hamper infrastructure development in places like Tanzania?

When China's economy craters, it will probably greatly reduce real estate pressure in a bunch of North American cities as the biggest effect on America.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fojar38 posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/11533317/Three-ways-the-rise-of-Chinas-stock-market-will-change-the-world.html

So how come the biggest China bulls tend to be British. I've been scouring the internet for information about this for the past while and whenever I find someone predicting the inevitable ascent of the Chinese to economic dominance of the globe it's 9 times out of 10 a UK publication or a British guy.

Overinflated expectations of the results of Hong Kong being taken over allowing the rest of China to become the same?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Femur posted:

I understand the principles of supply and demand, but I was asking a more simple question why that imbalance

There be a billion people there and they were all dirt broke 40 years ago or so with vastly inferior infrastructure plus the disastrous effects of things like the cultural revolution and other Mao stunts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Femur posted:

Again, I don't care about historical answers, I would rather a systemic one.

History is the system, kid. Nobody started from an even playing field, and you can't hope to explain any country's current economic situation without relying heavily on its historical conditions and actions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Are there any quick Chinese summaries on the 1929 stock market crash in America? If you could find one of those that should be enough for her.

Also maybe find a way for her to invest in like generic American municipal bonds if that's possible, if she insists on investing in something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VideoTapir posted:

My sister in law is saying that the situation that happened in the US won't happen in China because the government will stop it.

So far I've only replied that the government can't stop it, they can only slow it.

Inform her that China's government stopping it means you at best only lose a small amount, but more likely lose most of it. Because the only way to stop it is to clamp down so hard that there ain't gonna be any easy money.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ofaloaf posted:

China-Moscow isn't a thing? Back in 2012 I looked at a trip like that, and I could've sworn that it was already possible to take the Trans-Siberian to Irkutsk, then switch to a Trans-Mongolian line which runs all the way down to Beijing, probably with a gauge change in there somewhere.

The current route is rather slow speed and quite old and circuitous in parts. The new plan is a brand new route that goes much more direct and higher speed, thanks to rail technology and bridge/tunnel stuff improved since the 1940s.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Looking it up, the current route used is 4,735 miles and takes about a week. The proposed line would cut the length by nearly 400 miles and reduce it to 2 and a half days. That's average 72 miles an hour versus about 30 miles per hour now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kassad posted:

But isn't it a high speed line? Those aren't for cargo trains.

It's a line that will average ~72 miles per hour. That's really not high speed, it's just more than double the current, ~30 mph overall speed.

In America we run long distance freights as fast as 70 mph or more in some places.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

Chinese coal imports for the month of May are down over 40% year on year... So I don't know how the gently caress they're growing.

Source: somewhere on Bloomberg earlier this week, I'm on my tablet.

Mining more of their own coal? Using other power sources?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm really making an effort to see $3.2 trillion in equity lost in three weeks and a market that still has an average p/e of 55 as a situation to be optimistic about, but I just can't see it. I'm willing to buy that the effects of the bubble bursting might not be that ruinous due to higher rates of saving among the Chinese, but painting a rosy picture of a 27% seems like being intentionally obtuse.

I'm sure they'll make it up in volume!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Al-Saqr posted:

Can someone give me a quick and dirty on how stock market crashes like this can just magically happen out of thin air? or did a major housing bubble burst or something even happen that I missed?

It's not really out of thin air anymore than the dot com crash was out of thin air, or the 1929 Wall Street crash was.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

im gay posted:

When was the last time NYSE went down?

2012 due to Hurricane Sandy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Willie Tomg posted:

What the loving poo poo is happening in St. Louis that the east coast of China hates so goddamned much?

http://map.norsecorp.com/

That's all financial markets, though. What China's doing is "merely" a particularly quintessentially silly example of it.

Maps like that tend to use that as a generic "couldn't find its location but it's in the US somewhere" point, since it's one of the closest major metro areas to the geographic center of the contiguous US.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Inferior Third Season posted:

Why would an auto dealer care if a buyer tries to evade Chinese taxes?

Because they don't want to have investigators coming around thinking they might be seeking out money laundering type business.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mobby_6kl posted:

What the gently caress are you guys even arguing about? It's not like this poo poo is trivial to check or anything :jerkbag:

Clearly oil is special and regular rules don't apply here!

This is a better one to use because it goes newer:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crashrat posted:

Distillate pricing generally changes about 2.4 cents per $1-per-barrel change according to the EIA. To get down to your $1 gas, from the average $2.79 we have now crude would have to go negative. To even get below $2 would require a $33 drop in the price of oil, which would put it down at $12 per barrel on Brent - and that's just not going to happen.

But the national average for gas in the US dipped to $2.02 earlier this year when crude oil was at $45-$46 a barrel, why does it need to go to $12 to go to $2 again?

Hell, where I was at the time I paid $1.60 a gallon at the low point, mostly because the state had relatively low fuel taxes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crashrat posted:

Thanks for the on-topic reply that didn't just begin and end with an insult.

Obviously there's a limit to the effectiveness of the EIA's napkin math ratio of 2.4 cents : $1-per-barrel - it's a simplistic tool that I was using to make the argument quickly.

I'm not saying pricing can't occasionally drop, but as you know from going to the gas station again now that price didn't stick around. - plus as you mentioned gasoline taxes are low where you are Similarly when the Cushing storage depot was near capacity there was chatter about gasoline prices plummeting - but that didn't happen either.

My point is that while occasional large fluctuations may happen it doesn't necessarily mean it's there to stay. The price went back up around the country, and it's stayed there, despite a surfeit of supply.

The thing is that what you're talking about simply doesn't work out well. It's a decent rule of thumb for estimating things in the rough, but it tends to fall apart in the actual data. And the price is already, well, not staying "here".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think this is a good idea though. It's the reason why startup incubators are built.

Startup incubators have a pretty lousy track record.

• Locked thread