Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Article: Beijing to the US by train: China outlines plans to connect world by high speed rail network

quote:

China has outlined its plan to connect the world by high-speed rail, including an underwater link to the US, running 13,000km.

The 'China to Russia plus the United States' line proposed by the Chinese Academy of Engineering would start in the north east of China, travel up through Siberia, across the Bering Strait to Alaska and down through Canada before reaching the contiguous US, The Beijing Times reports.

Other planned lines - construction of which has already reportedly began in China - are a link to London via Paris, Berlin and Moscow, along with a second route to Europe following the silk road to reach as far as Germany via Iran and Turkey. The international legs of the lines are currently under negotiation, the state ran paper said.

A fourth Pan-Asian line, connecting China with Singapore via Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia, is reportedly already under construction. Proposals for lines running from China to Africa are currently being drawn up, the paper added.

The most structurally ambitious of the proposals is the US-China link, which would require around 200km of tunnels to cross the gap between Russia and Alaska - four times the length of the Channel Tunnel. If completed it would become the world's longest underwater tunnel and take an unprecedented feat of engineering.

This seemed pretty interesting. I've repeatedly come across the idea that how mountainous and desertified China's west is results in the east being kind of like an island. With that in mind, should I assume it's a safe bet we'll see a lot of wonderful infrastructure projects coming out of China to mitigate that geographic challenge?

And while this is being presented as a serious proposal, should it be taken seriously?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm unfamiliar with rail infrastructure. Should I interpret expanded high-speed rail capacity/networks as implying increased shipping capacity, too? Could I interpret this as reflecting increasing economic integration across central Asia?

Also, if the Arctic Circle is going to be as big a deal as I've seen suggested, could this project be thought of as less connecting china to the world than connecting Arctic-adjacent Sino-Russian rail infrastructure to the world?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 11, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Are there untried pie-in-the-sky measures for something like that? Like a small basic.income coupled with steep import tariffs and mandatory workday reductions?

"You WILL take time off, you WILL buy domestic and you WILL have more sex; here's some money. Get to it!"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
What's the worst case scenario and how likely is it? A stock implosion could topple the housing market and the shadow banking system, too, right?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
By the way, I'm seeing plenty of reporting on stock freezes but not unfreezes. Is 70% of the exchange still frozen?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I feel like I'm F5-ing history here. It's so close!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
A commodity prices collapse would ruin anyone involved in commodities. China consumes hard-to-describe volumes of raw materials.

For example, they used more cement in three years than we used in one-hundred.

From 1901 to 2000, the United States used 4.5 gigatons of cement. In 100 years, 4.5 gigatons.

From 2011 to 2013, China used 6.6 gigatons of cement. In 3 years, 6.6 gigatons.

It's like that for a lot of things.

• Locked thread