Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

asdf32 posted:

Don't just parrot dumb arguments. The larger implication of the claim that business is exceedingly shortsighted is that the capitalist class is unable or unwilling peruse long term goals. I doubt that's the point you're trying to make.

Generally I think business is too shortsighted too but it's a human trait which government is certainly not immune too. We have ample examples of politically expedient but shortsighted legislation. Government however still has some advantages in terms of long term investment in the sense that the actual interests of the population as a whole can't shift as fast as any individual firm or investor nor can government change policy as quickly as them if it wanted too. Government can also probably safely assume that it's going to be around in a decade or two.

Maybe you can start with the fact that most private investment firms are willing to front the risk government subsidies do, which make up most long term projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Nintendo Kid posted:

The last crash removed a major source of instability in the US, which fixed a lot of things with regards to vulnerability of the economy just by no longer being present.

It's not like any of those any of those troubled assets went away, though. BoA tried repeatedly to dump them and Citi put them in separate holdings.

• Locked thread