Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

paragon1 posted:

Oh, so this is what environmentalists mean when they say everyone living an American lifestyle would destroy the planet.

Well, I've heard it stated that America uses 25% of the world's energy with 5% of the population. Given where most of our energy comes from, using 5 times as much of it globally seems pretty perilous if it were even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

computer parts posted:

There's a very high probability that that's including things like transportation.

I imagine so, yes. Obviously a rough figure like that isn't going to capture all the intricacies of how other countries would develop differently.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Krispy Kareem posted:

The problem with these Chinese companies is they don't really have distinct brands. Lenovo could have sold its laptops without IBM, but they were just generic models with no brand loyalty until they bought the ThinkPad name (which they didn't even buy, I believe IBM lent it to them for X number of years)

Pretty sure they bought the name "ThinkPad" in perpetuity plus the right to keep putting "IBM" on it for a limited number of years. See the T60, which postdates the switchover to Lenovo but still says "IBM Thinkpad" on the logos.

Fojar38 posted:

Does IBM even still make consumer PC's? It feels like they've been making supercomputers for the most part as of late.

No, that's the part they sold to Lenovo. A lot of their revenue is from software and services now, not even supercomputers.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Fojar38 posted:

Are Chinese smartphones any good? I mean I will never buy one as long as China is an authoritarian country but are they basically just cheaper Iphones?

All smartphones are Chinese. Where do you think the factories are?

If you mean specifically the ones branded by Chinese companies, from what I hear they're similar to the rest but a lot of them aren't available in the US so English reviews are more sparse. Huawei apparently likes UIs that are less functional than stock Android which is unfortunate but not uncommon.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 25, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

feedmegin posted:

Samsung would like a word...

You have a point, it looks like some of their manufacturing at least is based in Vietnam.

I was saying that primarily in response to the implied claim that the iPhone isn't Chinese, since as far as I know they are all made there.

• Locked thread