Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?
Hi all, sorry to crash the thread.

I must wondered what everyone thinks about the Chinese colonizing America's next door neighbours, i.e. the Caribbean.

Phone posting, but Google the Bahamar debacle in the Bahamas and the Pearl of the Caribbean fight currently going on in Saint Lucia (my country) for an idea of what the Chinese are up to.

Why are they here? Is it just to give their state construction company more stuff to build?

Is it to keep a closer eye on the US?

I'm trying to fight the project at home but need to understand the motivation behind this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?
Thanks for the update folks.

So I guess hoping that this project just implodes due to the usual banana republic incompetence of my local politicians is futile. I'll have to lace up my protest boots.

Ugh.

I'm no fan of the US but Chinese neo-colonialism seems like it might be worse.

wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?

R. Guyovich posted:

the united states has destabilized the caribbean, overthrown governments there and stunted development for decades but the chinese might send tourists. may god have mercy on us all

Actually no, the Chinese aren't sending tourists. After each China-sponsored construction project in my country (a sports stadium and a mental health hospital so far), there has been a noticeable increase in new Chinese immigrants "left behind". In a majority black country with few ethnic Chinese nationals, it's quite striking.

The Chinese aren't going to be building any LEED certified buildings either. In a country that's home to the rarest snake in the world, as well as four other endemic and endangered species, I'm concerned about the environmental impact large reclamation projects of the type the Chinese like to build will have on our precious 238 square miles. Yes, we're literally a dot in the ocean.

What I'm afraid of us getting caught in what's being described as "debt-trap" diplomacy, where Chinese-fueled FDI completely overwhelms and distorts our sleepy island culture. I have no problem with Dubai, Macau, Vegas and Miami Beach....I just don't want to live in a place that looks like that.

The seemingly easy money is turning the heads of our banana republic leaders, and I know enough about fishing to know that buried inside that delicious-looking bait is a deadly sharp hook.

• Locked thread