Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

whatever7 posted:

Aren't you excited we will live long enough to see the result?

Will we? I thought the effects of climate change were only going to become really obvious by 2100 or so.

Edit: Well, maybe a decade or two earlier than that but I was born in 1985.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

McDowell posted:

Planes might be good for moving a few hundred people around quickly, but rail lines can move lots of cargo with lower emissions.

But isn't it a high speed line? Those aren't for cargo trains.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I think it's less the firefighters being poorly trained and more them not even knowing there was dangerous poo poo in that place (and thus spraying water as usual). It looks like the site wasn't initially meant to store chemicals and that nobody bothered to inform the owners of buildings in the area when Ruihai was allowed to start doing just that:

God I hope those buildings had been evacuated before the explosions. That last sentence, hahaha :suicide:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Or, you know, blow up one of the most busy ports in the country.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Even if you take those figures at face value (and you shouldn't, as you said), both that uprising and the Taiping rebellion started as secret society plots that were planned out for years. It wasn't a bunch of Chinese people going apeshit and burning poo poo for no reason because their inscrutable mind went into "burn everything" mode. That guy's fear of the unwashed mob is showing, it's like reading a 19th century conservative pamphlet.

Bringing up the Three Kingdoms is just comical because of how long ago it was. What if [insert large-scale political reform] leads to another Caesar crossing the Rubicon ;_;

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

While I think your assessment is very solid, your metaphors are getting alarmingly mixed.

The government's intervention is like untrained firefighters blindly hosing a fire in a Tianjin warehouse that, unknown to them, is filled with dangerous chemicals in spite of all regulations and common sense.

edit: New page :supaburn:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 28, 2015

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They're giving it Chinese characteristics.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

icantfindaname posted:

The Mughals go from their political zenith right around 1700 to having Delhi sacked and tens of thousands of its inhabitants carried off as slaves and all their territory taken over by Marathis by 1740 or 1750. Seems pretty fast to me.

Not really. France went from being at its strongest in the 1910s to being entirely overrun by Germany in 1940 and losing almost its entire colonial empire in the 50s and 60s. Same amount of time. And that was a nation-state, much more resilient than a feudal dynasty like the Mughals.

icantfindaname posted:

The Mughal Empire had that for maybe 150-200 years, ending in the mid 1700s.

That's still almost as long as the United States' entire history, and certainly not the same thing as:

icantfindaname posted:

The Mughal Empire imploded almost as quickly as it formed

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Oracle posted:

The whole amazing revelation that when traveling to a foreign country you might have a hard time if you don't speak the language didn't make you roll your eyes back into your head?

Doesn't seem that bad compared to their sudden realization that they'd need visas to go to another country two weeks before they leave.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Isn't it pretty much just because of the one child policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The pension problem, sorry.

• Locked thread