Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Axe Master posted:

Yeah, apologies for the anecdotal evidence however I imagine it is reflective of the current trend. One of the chemists at my university is on the verge of publishing a revolutionary process (which I will keep intentionally vague, I learned most of this from the bitter students in the lab), and the professor in question just returned from a lengthy trip to China to begin the process of starting a multi-billion dollar company there related to it. Part of this is to eschew the patent policy of the university (which is a whole other can of worms), but one would presume if the IP atmosphere in China is as dire as stated it wouldn't be in his best interest to build a startup there.

Why be so vague? gently caress 'em if he can't play ball with the established U.S. rules. Hell, why wouldn't the university do exactly that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

If I recall the US produces a substantial surplus of food. The North American plains are possibly the most fertile farmlands in the world and farming technology has advanced very rapidly over the past century.

Regarding feeding China, I don't think people on either side of the pacific are going to be very receptive to "well then everyone should be less prosperous" arguments.

Ah, but we already are doing that in the U.S. Wages have remained stagnant and fixed costs have risen over the past few decades.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowHawk posted:

China also has lots of cold and snowy areas.

But perhaps more to the point, the most climate-dependent thing in the global economy is agriculture, and the general story of economics has been agriculture becoming increasingly less relevant for hundreds of years.

If you said less labor-intensive instead of less relevant, I'd be happy to agree with you. Can't agree with the thought that knowing where food is coming from for 7 billion people isn't important.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's more of a concern of a yield/acre, you find concerns with China that yield/acre will drop down despite best efforts (I've seen estimates at ~30% for China by the 2050s, lemme try to dig them up when it isn't so late and I'm not so sleepy). "Twice as expensive" is a wild abstraction of something like arable land, and assuming a perfect conversion between money to harvest doesn't sit right with me.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Poil posted:

Your link doesn't work, the site won't allow reading without paying. :(

The Stopscript extension is your friend. just put the website as untrusted and read away.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

People that read books will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

You say that like they don't know the kitchen sink chemistry to make the fun explosives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

Yeah Chinese state debt is about 46%, the vast majority of total debt is household debt.

Wait, I thought it was (often state owned) corporate debt?

Like:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-28/digging-into-china-s-growing-mountain-of-debt

• Locked thread