Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Is there any way to make the keys on a keyboard more sensitive? I got my Micron last night, and I'm just noticing that one of the keys is less sensitive than the others and you have to really press it down for it to register. I took it apart and cleaned it and it's marginally better, and I can't find any answers on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Is there any way to make the keys on a keyboard more sensitive? I got my Micron last night, and I'm just noticing that one of the keys is less sensitive than the others and you have to really press it down for it to register. I took it apart and cleaned it and it's marginally better, and I can't find any answers on Google.

Try adjusting the velocity curve, it will affect all the keys.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/207440/Alesis-Micron.html?page=102

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

W424 posted:

Try adjusting the velocity curve, it will affect all the keys.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/207440/Alesis-Micron.html?page=102

I played around with that already. It's literally just that one key that acts that way. I gave everything a wipe down and a blast of compressed air but I'm going to be taking the keys off and cleaning in between them. The seller said non smoker but I can tell you a smoker definitely owned this. While it doesn't smell of cigarette smoke, a bunch of loose tobacco bits came out when I gave it a blast.

The key works intermittently; even when it does you need to press down on it full force, whereas none of the other keys have that problem.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VoodooXT posted:

After reading through the JD-990 operator's manual, it seems fairly straight forward.
Well, I guess my brain is just broken. Glad you doublechecked then.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

HorseHeadBed posted:

Beats, Bass or Keys?

:lol: This one got me good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is an MC-505 with a couple of "stripes" (probably dead pixels) in the display worth 330$?
Reading up on it, the display failing is apparently a common thing. No idea whether or not the dead pixel problem will get worse or stay as it is (still legible).

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I played around with that already. It's literally just that one key that acts that way. I gave everything a wipe down and a blast of compressed air but I'm going to be taking the keys off and cleaning in between them. The seller said non smoker but I can tell you a smoker definitely owned this. While it doesn't smell of cigarette smoke, a bunch of loose tobacco bits came out when I gave it a blast.

The key works intermittently; even when it does you need to press down on it full force, whereas none of the other keys have that problem.

I've cleared and redrawn carbon traces for keyboards in this kind of a situation. Give cleaning another shot first though, with a brush not a cloth, and make sure the rubber domes aren't stuck warped or cut up. If he was a smoker I'd tear down the entire assembly and brush it clean just because.

Your Computer posted:

Is an MC-505 with a couple of "stripes" (probably dead pixels) in the display worth 330$?
Reading up on it, the display failing is apparently a common thing. No idea whether or not the dead pixel problem will get worse or stay as it is (still legible).

Very common, it'll get worse. You can try reflowing the panel contacts with a heatgun and that works often enough, just don't melt the thing. You can get replacements cheap if you do. That's about $200 more than I'd pay for one honestly. Any JV and step sequencer of your choice (say RM1x) would do you better unless you absolutely need the convergence.
e: apparently I'm a cheap bastard and ~300 is average. Still, with having to fix/replace the LCD it better come with a fistful of smartmedia for $330. Talk em down.

wayfinder posted:

I guess I'm going to be the voice of reason in this thread, recommending staying away from synth hardware in favor of ITB solutions. Sup!

:lol:

Startyde fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 20, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

Very common, it'll get worse. You can try reflowing the panel contacts with a heatgun and that works often enough, just don't melt the thing. You can get replacements cheap if you do. That's about $200 more than I'd pay for one honestly. Any JV and step sequencer of your choice (say RM1x) would do you better unless you absolutely need the convergence.

$200 less sounds like a bit much, doesn't it? This is the cheapest I've seen. I'm looking for a groovebox just to have an alternative to DAW+VST, but there aren't many to come by here. Because of a couple of awesome demos on youtube, as well as the fact that it has a nice, large LCD, the RM1x DOES look very interesting, but I haven't seen one for sale in a looong time. They seem to go for between $250 and $300.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I wouldn't assume that stripes and dead pixels are similar issues. When I used to fix graphing calculators in high school, dead pixels were permanent and internal to the LCD assembly, but stripes could usually be fixed by re-seating the connector between the LCD assembly and the main board. I don't know how much of that translates from graphing calculators to the MC-505 obviously, but it's a data point for you to consider.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

See edit~ :jewish:
RM1xes are that much now too? drat, they used to be all over here for 1-200.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Computer posted:

$200 less sounds like a bit much, doesn't it? This is the cheapest I've seen. I'm looking for a groovebox just to have an alternative to DAW+VST, but there aren't many to come by here. Because of a couple of awesome demos on youtube, as well as the fact that it has a nice, large LCD, the RM1x DOES look very interesting, but I haven't seen one for sale in a looong time. They seem to go for between $250 and $300.

If you're not averse to Ebay there are like 5 up right now for under $250. Really, I think most of the problems with equipment purchased there happen with analogue boxes since I've had zero problems with the non-analogue things I've gotten there.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Your Computer posted:

I'm looking for a groovebox just to have an alternative to DAW+VST, but there aren't many to come by here.
Yamaha QY700 if you just want to sequence external gear, maybe. Only half joking.

I saw one for €300 a few months ago and if I wasn't considering going back to an all software setup I'd totally would have bought it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ejstheman posted:

I wouldn't assume that stripes and dead pixels are similar issues.

You're absolutely right, I just had a brainfart on the terminology.

A Winner is Jew posted:

If you're not averse to Ebay there are like 5 up right now for under $250. Really, I think most of the problems with equipment purchased there happen with analogue boxes since I've had zero problems with the non-analogue things I've gotten there.

I've tried looking around for synths there, but most sellers don't even ship here. For the few that do, shipping is at or above $100. :(
...In addition to customs :negative:

e: worth mentioning (again?) that I live in this synthless northern kingdom:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 20, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
In talking of grooveboxes, I picked up a cheap Electribe EMX. I can tell you I'll never pit anything worthwhile but I can tell you I play around with it constantly. I like enough I'll probably pick up the ESX.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Your cat can't sleep on your computer?

iMac

:smith:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Time for a road trip? :v:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Computer posted:

I've tried looking around for synths there, but most sellers don't even ship here. For the few that do, shipping is at or above $100. :(

poo poo, I forget that some of you are a bunch of godless soulless communist soccer playing Europeans.

ON the bright side, what you lack in synths you make up for in socialized medicine. :norway:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Alt for Norge. Alt for syntese.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
But synths are the only medicine that works?

PS: I ended up buying TWO Emu E4XT Ultras and will be cobbling together a super Emu. I'm pretty turned off by how slow/loud the SCSI hard drive performs but I plan to buy a SCSI compact flash drive and get rid of the hard drive eventually. The E4XT sounds bea-ti-ful otherwise.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 20, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Your Computer posted:

You're absolutely right, I just had a brainfart on the terminology.

Maybe a kind US goon would proxy buy one for you on the cheap?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Norway looks like one of those jets you see spurting from black holes.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
:dance: I just convinced my wife that I should get an A4 :dance:

Of course I have to sell my minibrute after it gets repaired, and then wait until around October to see how large my Q1-3 bonus checks are because I can't get it unless I've also saved up the money for the trip to Europe we're taking next year (5k in 7 months is easy)... but in the mean time it let's me focus on learning and making music with the stuff I have without trying to figure out the cheapest way possible to piecemeal my setup to completion, since the A4 covers pretty much every hole in my setup.

And the best part is, she agreed to it over gmail chat so I have that poo poo in writing. :slick:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I missed out on the setup posting on the first page, so I figured I can try to catch up here:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I missed out on the setup posting on the first page, so I figured I can try to catch up here:

That's your entire setup? I figured you would have like twice as much gear!

Oh but you're trying to consolidate before you move, huh? :v:

(Those KRKs are hot. Much hotter than my M-Audio monitors.)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's your entire setup? I figured you would have like twice as much gear!

Oh but you're trying to consolidate before you move, huh? :v:

There's a wavestation sitting in my closet and the left drawer has a pile of eurorack that's still unsold and a Monotribe. But yeah, I gear froth like crazy since Muffwiggler enables me like crazy. Right now I'm waiting for the oscillators to warm up on the Moog so I can get a stable sound out of it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

FLX posted:

That's a good idea. Isn't there some kind of IRC-like audio/video chat platform that we could get a permanently running room on? Like this we wouldn't need to do the whole connection thing with Skype every time.

Someone on Facebook recommended jammr which lets you host a room for jamming online and has integrated chat. We were planning to test it out tonight fr those interested.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

And the latest addition, of which I still can't decide if I actually like it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That's what I need: a synth wall. Although how do you comfortably play the one at the top? :stare:

Or is the answer simply "you don't."?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sjoewe, post more mixes in the mix thread.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's what I need: a synth wall. Although how do you comfortably play the one at the top? :stare:

Or is the answer simply "you don't."?

MIDI mind tricks.

A MIRACLE posted:

Sjoewe, post more mixes in the mix thread.

I haven't DJ'ed in quite a while, but since I'm on duty next week at a release party I'll share the recording.
Meanwhile I'm kindda busy sorting my records because I can't find anything since I moved...

:cry:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

0dB posted:

You must get the Vintage Synth voice card for the JD990. It matters.

The guy ended up accepting my offer and it includes the Vintage Synth expansion card. I probably did overpay for the set (THANKS A LOT, GEARSLUTZ) but I guess that's the price for robot fart noises.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
136 is the most fun BPM, just tossing that out there.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

that's some nice acid you got there. I still think it would sound better at 125 though :smugdog:.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Did someone call for slow acid?
https://soundcloud.com/sjoewe/tr707/s-qjK1t

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
A 6-minute summary of the TR-808's role in music, from Graham Massey of 808 State.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01vzj7v

My man sounds Manchester as hell.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I like this especially the effects on the acid line.

This is better than so much of the poo poo tech house I hear when I go out.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I want to think this iteration of the thread will be when I finally break down and succumb to a more pronounced chasing of synths in the form of the means to attempt covers of the various obscure bits of music that have been haunting me since my youth, as opposed to my stalking of various oddities outright and all things FM SYNTH. Until such a moment arrives though, well...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evanbalster/imitone-mind-to-melody

There's this software...thing. Through "methods", all things audible become MIDI---MIDI you can then mess with all manner of ways. It has actually managed to fund surprisingly early, and may yet reach one or more stretch goals, which is cool if it all ultimately works. For whatever reason, it would seem audio-centric things have yet to make any sort of dent on Kickstarter versus other hobbyist pursuits like miniatures that folks tend to part with vast sums of money over---so perhaps this is a mysterious herald of things to come?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Looks drat nice. I put in for the basic version after watching the videos. Hope it works out.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
I hope he makes an iOS/Android app. Imagine being able to sing a melody on the go, upload it to Dropbox, and mess with it at home. That would seriously be life-changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm not entirely sure but doesn't live 9 have a similar feature already implemented? Either way this seems like a neat app especially for users of other daws.