Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Live9's pitch to MIDI does not work in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

No faster!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcuh1dh81gwthpw/challenge-tweaked.mp3

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

TUNE!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Say what you will about the album, but Robot Rock's synths are so bouncy and wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tYJoocSgg

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Human After All is so so as far as home listening is concerned, but it was absolutely insane live.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

net work error posted:

I'm not entirely sure but doesn't live 9 have a similar feature already implemented? Either way this seems like a neat app especially for users of other daws.

Yes it does (mono,poly,drums), I used samples of classical music to make drum patterns a while ago.

Edit. Not realtime as mentioned before.
http://jamorigin.com/ their midi guitar works better than the hardware that I've had over the years, worth checking out also.

W424 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 22, 2014

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Now I'm thinking maybe I could get an ipad to solve my recording needs, while maybe grabbing some synth apps while I'm at it. Like the korg gadget and etc.

With the Alesis io dock (and appropriate connector) I assume this would be pretty painless? I mean... If I'm gonna be dropping 300 dosh on a zoom recorder...

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Now I'm thinking maybe I could get an ipad to solve my recording needs, while maybe grabbing some synth apps while I'm at it. Like the korg gadget and etc.

With the Alesis io dock (and appropriate connector) I assume this would be pretty painless? I mean... If I'm gonna be dropping 300 dosh on a zoom recorder...

Go big or go home; I record everything on my OP-1 :downs:

That's mainly because the only room for my synths is on the half of the bed I don't use so everything's connected there.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

WorldWarWonderful posted:

the only room for my synths is on the half of the bed I don't use

What a marvelous thread title!

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Did someone say 707?

https://soundcloud.com/traxus12/polysix-707

I'm just now starting to get back into making sounds after finally having my battery-damaged PolySix resurrected from the dead last week (that's a picture of the old CPU board on the Soundcloud). It takes 30 minutes to get into tune but I'm digging the hell out of it.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Skeletron posted:

Did someone say 707?

I'm just now starting to get back into making sounds after finally having my battery-damaged PolySix resurrected from the dead last week (that's a picture of the old CPU board on the Soundcloud). It takes 30 minutes to get into tune but I'm digging the hell out of it.

Did you multitrack or is the polysix multi timbral?

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

Did you multitrack or is the polysix multi timbral?
It's all from one live jam but I've got a Prophet 08 doing the higher arps. The PolySix is all the beefy 80s bass, and there's some Korg ER-1 in addition to the 707.

Oh, and an Alesis Quadraverb and Boss RE-20 delay on effects.

Skeletron fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 22, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Skeletron posted:

Did someone say 707?

Polysix AND 707? That's probably my dream team right there. I have really nice emulations, but it'd be neat to have the actual machines sitting around collecting dust while looking awesome :(

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Your Computer posted:

Polysix AND 707? That's probably my dream team right there. I have really nice emulations, but it'd be neat to have the actual machines sitting around collecting dust while looking awesome :(
I've been working on this setup for the last few years. If my house ever catches fire I think the loss would be too great...I'd just become an electro-Buddhist and never touch hardware again.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Skeletron posted:

Did someone say 707?

Nice. Now I need a Polysix. :gonk:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
THEY'RE HERE!!!

Trip report/acid jams to follow.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

THEY'RE HERE!!!
Happy jamz.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
For some reason I completely misread the date on the next batch of TR8s shipping and I thought I'd have to wait until the end of April but instead they're going to be in again on the 25th of this month - so I sincerely hope mine gets here next week.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Does anyone have any resources for Ableton's Analog instrument? It seems incredibly capable and useful, but I haven't seen much in the ways of exploring that. Any help?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

THEY'RE HERE!!!

Trip report/acid jams to follow.

Sweet :) Looking forward to some jams. Are you using Ableton/Push with the Aira's or just for general Ableton-y things?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Live upgrades are 100 off until the second, I'm considering bumping up from 8 and grabbing a push instead of getting a TB-3, how are people liking their Pushes?

Edit: Never mind, they're offering like $25 off and gently caress that.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 23, 2014

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyone want a Blofeld Desktop? No scratches, no weird encoders, and for some reason, it came with a bunch of extra plugs. (I seem to remember one of them not even fitting the wart, so be warned I guess) No SL license upgrade though.

I'd rather avoid dealing with ebay and junk...

$350 shipped? As long as its in the 48 states, otherwise I can work something out.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I had a dream about that synth once, I had 3 of them and was bleeping and blooping like mad. Was really disappointed when I woke up, too :negative:
Kind of been wanting one since, but I don't live in the states so shipping could get kind of expensive... I also probably can't actually afford it either.

If no one buys it before next month and shipping turns out to be manageable, I might be interested? :saddowns:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just for curiosity, what's your post code? You can PM me. I'll keep it in mind.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Late to the post your setup chat, here's my mess setup:

Bonus cat video:
https://db.tt/0svAdmfa

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Is it common for some instruments to be off the beat when you try to sync their internal sequencers/arpegiators to an external clock, yet have no lag whatsoever if I control them directly via MIDI notes? I'm having problems syncing my 707, Korg ER-1, and the internal arpegiator in my KiwiSix/PolySix with Ableton as master.

But if I bypass their sequencers and "play" them by recording MIDI clips into Ableton from my keyboard, they're totally fine. This is how I control all my rack gear anyway...but I want to control the 707, ER-1, and PolySix by actually being at the instrument itself. This sucks.

Update: Fixed the 707 and ER-1 sync issues by connecting directly from my MIDI thru-box and not daisy-chaining. Now they're pretty much right on the money.

Still working on the KiwiSix/PolySix arpegiator though. Straight from the MIDI-thru box with the shortest MIDI-cable possible and it still tends to start randomly slightly after the beat when it's sent a start message from Ableton. Sometimes it starts practically on the upbeats, sometimes it's just slightly off, and sometimes it's right on. It stays consistent once it's started, at least, whether it's in sync or slightly off. I'm feeling like the MIDI-start message is coming in late for some reason.

Skeletron fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 24, 2014

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

This is the setup I was using before getting fully settled into my new place, but all the pieces are there.

Also, I don't know if anybody here has seen this yet, but some people are working on a hardware tracker-based groovebox. I'm more excited than could be considered reasonable.

http://nerdsynth.com/

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mrwimmer posted:

This is the setup I was using before getting fully settled into my new place, but all the pieces are there.

Also, I don't know if anybody here has seen this yet, but some people are working on a hardware tracker-based groovebox. I'm more excited than could be considered reasonable.

http://nerdsynth.com/

sup alesis ion buddy

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I generally post on Soundcloud whenever I have something that I like, although it's not always a fully thought out or organized track. In fact, it's almost always not. Let's call them jams. So I was reviewing my previous posts just now and ran across this, which I am pretty proud of, as it's one of the only things I've done that has some sort of hook:

https://soundcloud.com/renderful/cracker-barrel (named cracker barrel because I ate there and bought pop rocks and a plastic noise making tube there, then sampled them and that's what started this session)

Then I realized that I have it, and 100's of other projects on a hard drive from my old Macbook that died last year, that I'd not touched or listened to in a while. I ended up finding the original Live set, in tact(works perfectly on new machine with Live9). I'm thinking that I could turn the above track into something nice, if I focus the arrangement a bit, and give it quite a bit more structure and less repetition and more melody, percussion and effects variation. Pretty stoked to dig through the rest of these tracks from 2010 on.

Do you guys revisit/revive old projects? Do you ever find hidden treasures that then translate into new things? This is one of the things I really appreciate computers for.

renderful fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 24, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

renderful posted:

Do you guys revisit/revive old projects? Do you ever find hidden treasures that then translate into new things? This is one of the things I really appreciate computers for.

Yeah! I don't do much on the computer but I've got a million sketches and ideas scattered across different iPad apps, my MPC 500 and two KORG DS-10s and a bunch of DSi programs. I'm just finishing a new release and have the next one pretty much lined up as well, so just the other day I was just digging through some of my old crap for future inspiration. There's a ton of dumb stuff from back when I had no idea about anything but there's something usable as well.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

renderful posted:

Me too, if I have a song that isn't working I'll do a reworking/remix later. Most recently there was a song that sucked in Cubase. I Cut it to clips by instrument or group and threw them in Live. I got most of the new arrangment done in one pass and then added new stuff and turd polishing. I also record jams with Reaktor/Renoise/ipad etc to sample.

I was going to get my old tracker files (about 400) from my 486's harddrive and sample stuff but my brother had thrown it away ;(

I also got drunk and bought Lemur, seems much nicer than touchosc.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

Number Two Stunna posted:

sup alesis ion buddy

Nothing much, just wishing for the millionth time that the on board delay was useful at all, and then remembering that it doesn't matter cause the rest of the synth is pretty well genius.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Skeletron posted:

Is it common for some instruments to be off the beat when you try to sync their internal sequencers/arpegiators to an external clock, yet have no lag whatsoever if I control them directly via MIDI notes? I'm having problems syncing my 707, Korg ER-1, and the internal arpegiator in my KiwiSix/PolySix with Ableton as master.

Let me tell you about waldorfs :suicide:
Yeah it's not uncommon. Anything time-based running from external clock will range from tight to holy loving poo poo depending on the synth. Sync'd LFOs, arps, mod sequencers, etc. On older gear that only has so many instructions per clock to deal with things it can be wacky, and off in a different way each time so you can't just compensate for it.

e- the kiwi should be plenty though... I'm curious if not-ableton as master produces the same results if the rest of the chain is unchanged.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 24, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Who likes the Korg Poly 800?! I might, but then again I have a Roland JX-3P that does roughly the same sounds. If I'm thinking I should have both the I probably should get both. It is the synth thread way :patriot:

But seriously, interested in people's experiences with the Poly 800.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Poly 800? Really?

It's a bag of plastic poo poo. Avoid.

Edit for context: At my first fulltime job I had a JX3p and a Poly 800ii on my desk. Usage ratio: 99/1.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 24, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

renderful posted:

I don't really, though sometimes I'll go back through old acid tracks to salvage useful patterns. I mean, I never finish anything so there'd be a lot of old garbage to go through to be fair.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

It's usually somewhat of a trip down memory lane for me. Remembering how the track came about and being surprised at the fact that I made something that sounded ok before X, Y and Z skills were present. Then deciding how I can apply the tools, interests and knowledge that I'm currently into, to the old idea.

Musical structure is a major thing that I'm trying to work on lately. Trying to think about where the payoff is in the track and how to build and release tension more lately.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

renderful posted:

I generally post on Soundcloud whenever I have something that I like, although it's not always a fully thought out or organized track. In fact, it's almost always not. Let's call them jams. So I was reviewing my previous posts just now and ran across this, which I am pretty proud of, as it's one of the only things I've done that has some sort of hook:

https://soundcloud.com/renderful/cracker-barrel (named cracker barrel because I ate there and bought pop rocks and a plastic noise making tube there, then sampled them and that's what started this session)

Then I realized that I have it, and 100's of other projects on a hard drive from my old Macbook that died last year, that I'd not touched or listened to in a while. I ended up finding the original Live set, in tact(works perfectly on new machine with Live9). I'm thinking that I could turn the above track into something nice, if I focus the arrangement a bit, and give it quite a bit more structure and less repetition and more melody, percussion and effects variation. Pretty stoked to dig through the rest of these tracks from 2010 on.

Not in a place where I can hear audio ATM, but will check the track out later.

Last week I actually ordered one of those music tubes because I remember loving that sound when I was a kid, and I wanted to have one to sample. But yesterday Amazon told me the shipment was undeliverable (with no explanation), and the vendor mysteriously refunded my order this morning. I want that tube more than ever now!

Re: Revisiting old projects, this is something I've done ever since I started making music. I've re-recorded some songs up to five different times over the years (even covers!), although in my case it was usually a matter of getting new instruments or better equipment. I rarely (perhaps never?) altered the lyrics or song structure, but I sometimes added new harmonies or melodic lines, or changed the mood and tempo of a song. (I'm also currently going through my "back catalog" of original songs and am about to re-record a large number of them from scratch. I don't have digital copies/sequencer projects of any of them. Just some cassettes. Unfortunately it looks like there are at least six songs I had completed and recorded, but don't have any tape of anymore. All I've got is lyrics, and I don't remember enough of the music to be able to re-create them. :argh: )

Also about once a year I'll go through all my "works in progress" and see if any of those unfinished projects are sparking anything new in me. That sometimes results in good stuff.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 24, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I think the sketch I posted needs to pay off sooner. Also needs a more interesting bass source, and less melody repetition, and I want to expand the glitchy bits.

Hindsight is 20/20, but in this case, I can change the past.

renderful fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

tehschulman posted:

Who likes the Korg Poly 800?! I might, but then again I have a Roland JX-3P that does roughly the same sounds. If I'm thinking I should have both the I probably should get both. It is the synth thread way :patriot:

But seriously, interested in people's experiences with the Poly 800.

I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. No idea if it still works or not, it's been in the garage for years now.

P.S. it's a piece of poo poo, and as someone who's previously had a JX-3P, no, no it does not make roughly the same sound as one.

P.P.S. actually, there is one way my Poly-800 was useful: I took the knob off the pitch joystick on it and put it on my DW-8000 (a fantastic synth, get one of those instead) to replace the one it was missing.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 24, 2014