Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mrwimmer posted:

Nothing much, just wishing for the millionth time that the on board delay was useful at all, and then remembering that it doesn't matter cause the rest of the synth is pretty well genius.

Get yourself a TC Electronic M300 or 350 or something, hook it up as a dedicated insert, and stop wishing.

The on-board compressor is a surprisingly useful thing, by the way.

tehschulman posted:

Who likes the Korg Poly 800?!

Don't bother. Build yourself a Shruthi, those are more fun and sound better.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

Startyde posted:

Let me tell you about waldorfs :suicide:
Yeah it's not uncommon. Anything time-based running from external clock will range from tight to holy loving poo poo depending on the synth. Sync'd LFOs, arps, mod sequencers, etc. On older gear that only has so many instructions per clock to deal with things it can be wacky, and off in a different way each time so you can't just compensate for it.

e- the kiwi should be plenty though... I'm curious if not-ableton as master produces the same results if the rest of the chain is unchanged.
Right. I was reading about people's problems with the old Roland boxes and came across this Innerclock device that converts an audio pulse to MIDI and DIN-Sync, which is a billion times more accurate than a DAW's MIDI clock, but the price-tag almost made my poo poo myself. I also came across this site about generating your own Tape Sync / FSK sync signal from Ableton, which seems like a poor-man's Innerclock.

Thankfully, when not daisy-chained my 707 tends to be pretty drat close to right on the beat with MIDI. I emailed Murray at KiwiTechnics and apparently he knows about the KiwiSix problem. I'll just have to wait on an update.

quote:

Hi Stephen

It would appear that the K6 is ignoring Start/Stop/Resume commands. I will add these in the next release

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. No idea if it still works or not, it's been in the garage for years now.

P.S. it's a piece of poo poo, and as someone who's previously had a JX-3P, no, no it does not make roughly the same sound as one.

P.P.S. actually, there is one way my Poly-800 was useful: I took the knob off the pitch joystick on it and put it on my DW-8000 (a fantastic synth, get one of those instead) to replace the one it was missing.
poo poo, half of my setup is designed around god-awful hardware synths and sound modules that I only keep around because I bought and repaired/cleaned them up so drat it, I have to use them. I'll take it off your hands if tehschulman passes.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. No idea if it still works or not, it's been in the garage for years now.

P.S. it's a piece of poo poo, and as someone who's previously had a JX-3P, no, no it does not make roughly the same sound as one.

P.P.S. actually, there is one way my Poly-800 was useful: I took the knob off the pitch joystick on it and put it on my DW-8000 (a fantastic synth, get one of those instead) to replace the one it was missing.

I'm just crazy enough to possibly take it. I've been looking at videos of the Poly 800 MKii mostly. It's not going to make any modern cutting edge dance music but it has a classic quality to it. Granted these are custom patches, but I think it doesn't sound half bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPrp8a23gTE

Edit: oh and someone modded a Nanoverb and a Toshiba laptop into their 800: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Oqk1jU-Oo

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
:420: synthesize drums err day :420:
send more square osc please

Echo the Poly800 hate. Didn't like the programming, or the sound. Considered doing the moog slayer mod but just didn't care enough.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Is there a resource for the characteristics of older retro synths that I could use to aid me in recreating them in Ableton's Analog???

I am sure I can find a 303 preset somewhere, but I want to understand why a 303 sounds like a 303, so that way I can recreate it in any synth I want. Any help?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
It's more about the sequencer and the squelchy filter than anything else. I mean, even a Moog Phatty set to a saw with the res up and sequenced by a 303 sounds kind of like a 303.

Though you could also buy a 303. :getin:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's more about the sequencer and the squelchy filter than anything else. I mean, even a Moog Phatty set to a saw with the res up and sequenced by a 303 sounds kind of like a 303.

Though you could also buy a 303. :getin:

Don't encourage me to spend money in the synth thread :cry:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I will be getting a family member's cast off iPad 2 soon. What are the recommendations for good synth/sequencing apps?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Can't go wrong with pretty much anything by Korg (except maybe Kaossilator, which is all right but overpriced) or Moog. I also really like Cassini, Audulus, Thor, and Modular. If you have a USB midi keyboard, grab a cheap camera connection kit from Amazon and you can use that to run your keyboard into your iPad, which is great.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Samplr, AudioBus and Loopy HD will keep you busy for a long time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
If we're branching out into sampling things, Werkbench and Samplewiz are also really fun.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

BKPR posted:

I will be getting a family member's cast off iPad 2 soon. What are the recommendations for good synth/sequencing apps?

Korg gadget/iElectribe,waldorf nave, alchemy mobile pro (if you have the desktop version too), lemur, voice synth (vocals), touchable 2 (if you use Live), tabletop

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

I got a Korg KMS-30 in the mail today. Finally, I can have my 606 synced up with the rest of my gear.

LOVE IT!

https://soundcloud.com/traxus12/polysix-707-606

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Also SynthX is really cool, I made this with it(warning, repetitive noodling ahead): https://soundcloud.com/renderful/blooze

renderful fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 25, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Let's chat about guitar effects pedals for synths!

I played guitar before I got into synthing (still do) and while having a dedicated multi-effects box for my synthing needs is nice, it can fall short in particular cases (plus I can't process my guitar through my stereo rack gear as easily). There's a lot to choose from in the realm of stompboxes.

According to common knowledge, the stuff that doesn't sound as great on a guitar is almost perfect for synth bass and leads, however for certain types of effects like Reverb and Modulation, getting something cheap and skimpy won't really cut it. Many boutique effects pedals for effects like Distortion and Fuzz pay very particular attention to what frequency bands are "scooped", which is great for guitarists seeking a certain tone, but might not be what one is looking for with a synth.

I've been looking at the following few FX pedals for different purposes. Finding demos on Youtube of these boxes isn't too hard, but getting a demo with a electronic instrument being played can be quite difficult.

Reverb:
Eventide Space (expensive as gently caress but I might actually end up getting one)
Strymon Big Sky
EHX Cathedral Reverb (seems like a good choice at half the price of the Eventide)
BOSS RE-20 (have one of these since it gets good praises from the synth community but I don't think it suits my tastes)

Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive:
ProCo Rat (hoping to get one of the older models with the LM308 chip for that classic acid sound)
Blackout Effects Blunderbuss Fuzz (looks like an interesting pedal but I have no clue what it sounds like on a synth)
Big Muffs (discussion of this one pedal could take up multiple threads, classic fuzz and a good price)
ZVEX Wooly Mammoth (I like ZVEX a lot and might scoop one of these up, but it produces a very particular type of fuzz)

Delay/Modulation:
Strymon Timeline
Strymon Mobius
Eventide Timefactor

All of the MoogerFooger pedals are great for synth needs, abet a bit expensive. I might end up with one of the Low Pass Filter pedals and possibly one of the Delays (though there are many BBD style pedals out there for much cheaper).

Most important for me at this point is a good reverb and a good fuzz pedal. Any recommendations are welcome.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 25, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It's got to be pedals? Something like a Boss GL-100 and a midiverbII will do fuzz/OD/delays/chorus/reverb/bloom in 2U and the inputs on the front, stick the MV in the FX loop and you're done. Or the ensoniq DP4+, input on the front for when you want to shred, 4 i/os in the back you can just leave hooked up. It is a shame there's so few demos of synths or even epianos with pedals, especially for things like the RE20 or leslie sims.

I think for reverb it'll be tough to do any better than the Space or a TC.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Yeah I've got a DP/4 non-plus sitting in a cabinet. It's a great multi-effects unit and has a lot of different options to play with. I'm interested specifically in pedals because it directly feeds the signal chain and gives me easy tweakability for the particular effect. Plus I play guitar as I said and would also be using these pedals for that purpose (really wish my DP/4 had the DI front input).

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I really like using my Line6 M5 pedal. It's very flexible and has some cool effects. It might be worth it to go for an M9 or M13 if you want multiple effects on at once. M13's can be found used for fairly cheap. I quite like the low res delay and the fuzz face settings and the envelope filters can be fun.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

In my live jam setup I use a couple racks, an Alesis Quadraverb and Alesis MIDIVERB II. They can be heard on a lot the old 90s Warp records if you're into that sound and for like 70 bucks each you can't go wrong. For the longest time I just had a Boss RE-20 for delay, which is cool. Still use it.

It's important to think about how you route your effects through your mixer or DAW, as well. I use a Mackie 1604VLZ3 now. I have the racks going through the effects send/return and the RE-20 returning to a channel input so I can feed delay into the racks (to get reverb on the delayed sound, etc.). If I had infinite channel inputs like in a DAW, I'd route ALL my effects back into channel inputs so I could layer effect upon effect and adjust the EQ of each, but I can't spare four channels for the stereo outputs of my Alesis racks.

Oh, and I also have a Boomerang III phrase sampler (looper) going from the Control Room outs of my mixer and returning to the last two channel inputs as an alternative to looping via MIDI clips in Ableton. Takes up two whole channels to loop in stereo and be able to send the loop through effects, but I think it's worth it. When I want to record a loop, I just hit the Solo button on whatever channels I want to record, which sends it to the CR outs without changing the main mix. That way, I can loop individual instruments even while a whole bunch of other instruments are being controlled via MIDI from Ableton. Or I can layer a sound back upon itself. Eg. loop part of an arpeggio being played by a synth and then pan it around or reverse it with the Boomerang while the synth, being controlled by Ableton, continues to play the original arpeggio.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Did someone say GUITAR PEDALS?! I let mine play alone tonight. The synths needed a break. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhLcxiaZzk

Edit: I find the Earthquaker Devices pedals really cool. I'm still regretting that I sold my Rainbow Machine and I really want a Bit Commander and Arpanoid.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

tehschulman posted:

:words:

Reverb:
Eventide Space (expensive as gently caress but I might actually end up getting one)
Strymon Big Sky
EHX Cathedral Reverb (seems like a good choice at half the price of the Eventide)
BOSS RE-20 (have one of these since it gets good praises from the synth community but I don't think it suits my tastes)

:words:

I'm also a guitar/synth guy and was smart enough to hold onto my 99 Mexican strat, so when I splurged and picked up a Kurzwiel Mangler for my effects unit it's not only amazing for synths, but also my guitar except for the three areas where it's sister unit Rumor excels at which is delay, chorus, and reverb excluding the amazing Lazerverb. Right now I'm waiting to see how the A4 effects pair with it before I get any pedals but I did do a fair amount of research on dedicated reverb pedals so hope this helps.

The Eventide space is pretty much top of the line for reverb but you do pay for it big time, and I felt like the Big Sky while really nice was still a bit too expensive for what it is. The three that made my final cut before I stopped looking were the EHX Cathedral since it has great reverbs as well as a the ability to add some pre-delay to the signal (basically the opposite of the RE-20 which I wasn't impressed with either), and two Hardwire stereo reverb pedals, the RV-7 and Supernatural since they're only $150/$180 and they use Lexicon algorithms and not Digitech ones, and really it was between the Supernatural and the Cathedral.

I'll probably be on the lookout for a dedicated boost and fuz pedal for my guitar in a few months though and for that I'll most likely go boutique for the fuzz and MXR for the boost since I know they are going to be mono only because I'm not going to be routing my synths through it 99% of the time.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Perhaps a dumb question, but how does one say "moogerfooger"? "Moog" is like "mow" as in "mow the lawn" except with a "g" on the end, so I kind of want to say "MOW grr FOE grr" ("foe" as in "enemy"), but I also kind of want to rhyme it with "booger booger" because that makes it sound more like "motherfucker".

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

ejstheman posted:

Perhaps a dumb question, but how does one say "moogerfooger"? "Moog" is like "mow" as in "mow the lawn" except with a "g" on the end, so I kind of want to say "MOW grr FOE grr" ("foe" as in "enemy"), but I also kind of want to rhyme it with "booger booger" because that makes it sound more like "motherfucker".

like the n-word

edit: effort post;

Have there been any cool developments with those lego-like synth modules that would stick together? And they were going open source? I remember there was cool talk of where it was going, but never followed up...

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Griff Lee posted:

like the n-word

edit: effort post;

Have there been any cool developments with those lego-like synth modules that would stick together? And they were going open source? I remember there was cool talk of where it was going, but never followed up...

Do you mean these? http://littlebits.cc/kits/synth-kit

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

ejstheman posted:

Moog rhymes with Rogue

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Griff Lee posted:

like the n-word

Migger-Figger? No way, MOE GUR FOE GUR

MuggerFugger would be pretty good tho.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Op1 update is out! Looking forward to sequencing my stuff with the sketch sequencer.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Op1 update is out! Looking forward to sequencing my stuff with the sketch sequencer.

I'm starting to think it's inevitable that I'll get one of these eventually. They're just cooler and cooler the more I learn about them. But not until I find a job, because of how expensive they are.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

This is awesome and I love everything about this.

EDIT: Someone buy me one of these I'm losing my poo poo over it, holy cow.

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 26, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I was browsing at a local Sam Ash, and they took in a Korg 01/W FD as a used item. It's got one sticky F sharp key but otherwise seems in good shape. They want $250 for it, and I'd like a starter synth if for no other reason than to get a little more 80s-ish sound. I've already got a digital piano, so this would be just an extra thing.

Should I go for it or is it not a good idea for a starter synth given the price? (also, built-in floppy drive... hello ancient technology that used to be everywhere, I missed you)

(also this is the most awesome promo video ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCWnm98gcgo)

MJP fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 26, 2014

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
SOUNDS!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Flightaware.com is either the worst or the best thing for tracking your shipped packages. It depends on if you like knowing exactly where your poo poo is or not. :negative:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MJP posted:

So I was browsing at a local Sam Ash, and they took in a Korg 01/W FD as a used item. It's got one sticky F sharp key but otherwise seems in good shape. They want $250 for it, and I'd like a starter synth if for no other reason than to get a little more 80s-ish sound. I've already got a digital piano, so this would be just an extra thing.

Should I go for it or is it not a good idea for a starter synth given the price?
I wouldn't buy anything with a sticky key unless it's something super rare and sought after so that it would be worth to fix it. $250 seems even almost steep for a synth of that type that doesn't have any problems.

~$60-$150 should buy you some Roland module that gets you sounds in the same ballpark, roughly (if your digital piano has midi out). Yamaha QY70 or something if you need a sequencer.

I used to frequent a local Cash Converters and I've learned quickly that you shouldn't buy anything just because it's right there in front of you. Take your time and do your research and never assume that any quirk will be a benign challenge rather than just an obstacle. Floppy diks, how quaint! Well, no. It's a royal pain in the rear end. What does it really have to offer that makes that worth it?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

I wouldn't buy anything with a sticky key unless it's something super rare and sought after so that it would be worth to fix it. $250 seems even almost steep for a synth of that type that doesn't have any problems.

~$60-$150 should buy you some Roland module that gets you sounds in the same ballpark, roughly (if your digital piano has midi out). Yamaha QY70 or something if you need a sequencer.

I used to frequent a local Cash Converters and I've learned quickly that you shouldn't buy anything just because it's right there in front of you. Take your time and do your research and never assume that any quirk will be a benign challenge rather than just an obstacle. Floppy diks, how quaint! Well, no. It's a royal pain in the rear end. What does it really have to offer that makes that worth it?

Yeah, I was doing some looking around. Vintage Synth Explorer had good things to say but nothing about pricing. Ebay has a bunch of 01/W FDs for way higher prices (assuming all the keys don't stick) and I wouldn't mind spraying some WD-40 onto the key in question if it's not a horrible idea, but I'm not diving into it or anything similar just yet.

The thing is that my digital piano is in my living room, and I'm not looking to put a rack in there. I like having it in the room and wasn't looking to turn it into a music workstation, and the only space I could put a module would be under the piano. Not liking the idea of bending around to make changes and such. A standalone synth, I could at least set up in another room or even at work during breaks.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MJP posted:

(also this is the most awesome promo video ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCWnm98gcgo)
Why was Jazz Fusion the go-to genre for all 80s/90s synth demos?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

BitWig demo time! Ready to play with that sick looking modulation system. mmmph. Anyone else getting into that action today?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

renderful posted:

BitWig demo time! Ready to play with that sick looking modulation system. mmmph. Anyone else getting into that action today?

Oh hell yeah :dance:
I've been waiting for this since the first announcement so I'm crazy excited!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Bitwig's early betas sounded bettercrashed more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I thought the plugin sandboxing was supposed to prevent that?

Any grognard summing engine comparisons yet, by the way?