Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
You wouldn’t download a Virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

B33rChiller posted:

Lol, You need a midi so you can plug it into computer.
What, you plan on using your fingers? Like a Neanderthal?

it's from a highly funny response on youtube from Elta, the entirety of which reads

quote:

In the comments, people are mainly concerned about two things: Where's Midi? And why is it so expensive? 🌞
The answer:
Why do you need a midi? You haven't played it yet, but you already need a midi.
It's a self-contained instrument with its own keyboard. Plus it has enough CV - Gate inputs and outputs to connect external sources, including midi keyboards, most of which already have CV Gate outputs. I sincerely don't understand what Midi is for in such an instrument. To send sequences ?
1800 euros for an instrument with a lot of effort, labour, quality hand-built, functionality, design is expensive? I am not Behringer or Korg. I am a small manufacturer who assembles the instrument by hand. You get a one-of-a-kind instrument for life.
Pulsar 23, Perkons, SYNTRX, Intellijel Cascadia, Analogue Solutions Ample Analog and other synths in this price range are also expensive?
With its high production costs (About 1,000 euros per unit), the correct price should be 2400 euros. Probably should have made this price and then the questions would have gone away.

I just found this all very amusing. To Elta's point about CV: yes, it's there, and also using MIDI to control the instrument that way would appear to involve writing a bunch of complex workflows in whatever midi to cv converter you are using (and possibly back again). That seems like a dubious thing to do, and putting effort into some kind of on board hardware implementation of that seems even dumber for something that appears pretty clearly designed to be played with its own interface; if you want to roll your own the potential is still there.

Unsure how anyone would have watched these videos and then thought "oh boy, I can't wait to get one and then.... hook it up to Ableton :confused:"

W424
Oct 21, 2010

snorch posted:

You wouldn’t download a Virus.

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/osirus/

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Anyone got any experience with the Mo’Phatt? I picked one up for $100 recently and all of the preset slots are empty.

I popped it open to look at the ROM card and see that there’s one unmarked card in there with two empty expansion slots.

I’m assuming I can load the factory presets via sysex?

I just wanted some cheesy 90s sounds :( It boots up just fine and I can scroll around various options, but can’t find any actual sounds to use.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Slore Tactician posted:

Anyone got any experience with the Mo’Phatt? I picked one up for $100 recently and all of the preset slots are empty.

I popped it open to look at the ROM card and see that there’s one unmarked card in there with two empty expansion slots.

I just wanted some cheesy 90s sounds :( It boots up just fine and I can scroll around various options, but can’t find any actual sounds to use.

The manual is available here. I didn't check if this site does but Vintage Synth Explorer has a list of all the cards that use the format.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it should hopefully get you toward one, especially the sysex one.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Unsure how anyone would have watched these videos and then thought "oh boy, I can't wait to get one and then.... hook it up to Ableton :confused:"
Ha!
Thing looks complicated. Maybe computer can work it?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Honestly it reminds me of that massive physical controller someone made for the dx7. But, like, backwards. If that makes sense?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
My buddy recently got into synths and was wondering why so many of them have a bunch of ports on the back that do basically the same thing. My response was if they weren't there somebody somewhere would get mad

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arms_Akimbo posted:

My buddy recently got into synths and was wondering why so many of them have a bunch of ports on the back that do basically the same thing. My response was if they weren't there somebody somewhere would get mad
Heck, my palette case has ports that don't even do anything!
Audio in and midi stuff never got hooked up.
Not going to waste precious hp on a midi.

Why do you need a midi? You haven't played it yet, but you already need a midi.
It's a self-contained instrument with its own keyboard Turing machine.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 17, 2024

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Slore Tactician posted:

the default rom card should have some stickers on it. you might have bought a romless proteus 2k frame. it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the preset bank should just come up

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Synths and Synthesis MkII: Why do you need a midi?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I would literally rather have midi on my saxophone than on a solar42

No idea how that would work, I assume a bellows is involved and maybe one of those health class mannequins that can smoke?

This feels like a LMNC project

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

No idea how that would work, I assume a bellows is involved and maybe one of those health class mannequins that can smoke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmN2WVS6Kg

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

don't think there's anything like a midi pickup you can put on existing saxophones but there's quite the few midi instruments that are played like a saxophone

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

y'all are overthinking it

midi saxophone:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

watho posted:

don't think there's anything like a midi pickup you can put on existing saxophones but there's quite the few midi instruments that are played like a saxophone

Yea, I've looked at a lot of them. I'm a lovely woodwind player but I'm experienced enough to know that most of the expressive power comes from embouchure and subtle things you do to alter the way the reed is vibrating; I'd be a lot more interested in some kind of extremely complex mouthpiece with a real reed taking all kinds of volume, multiple pitch, harmonics measurements and then providing an assload of different CV outs.

Aerophone seems cool but it doesn't, to me, appear to have too much in common with playing a real horn, especially not a reed instrument. It's easy for me to imagine brass instruments might fare better except I've read enough nitty-gritty embouchure conversations between brass players, to think there's a lot of complexity there I don't understand at all.

There's a reason I ended up rejecting the idea of a $1600 woodwind cv controller (Nurad) for a ~ $2500 tenor sax... but the idea of putting some piezos and other pickups and maybe even hacking up the keys of my relatively inexpensive student alto sax, is interesting.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 18, 2024

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heDIDqSP96M

finally making some poo poo suitable for my av to wander through :laugh:

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Sadly not unexpected.

https://eu.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2024/03/15/global-electronic-instrument-maker-moog-changing-asheville-location/72987158007/

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Wait what? It looks like they are staying in Asheville but moving to a different building

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

edgar_ posted:

Wait what? It looks like they are staying in Asheville but moving to a different building

Yeah just moving downtown above Citizen Vinyl which seems like a nice pairing. They're also expanding their production facility just north of Asheville. So... doesn't seem like bad news to me?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I mean at this point I expect anything happening to Moog to be automatically labeled BAD by the masses.
I think it's in InMusic's best interest to keep as much of the Moog spirit alive, unless they just want to cash in short term as the expense of basically ruining their investment. It's not like Moog's IP is that valuable to begin with. Not that InMusic are saints either, but neither was Moog.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

BonoMan posted:

Yeah just moving downtown above Citizen Vinyl which seems like a nice pairing. They're also expanding their production facility just north of Asheville. So... doesn't seem like bad news to me?

I may have misread the articles that popped up in my newsfeed, that seemed to suggest this was a downsizing. There was a statement last week from Joe Richardson which isn't clear if he's talking about what happened last September or currently.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
LudoWic live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Aav-aoxRk

I discovered his channel from a video where he plays Trautonium. It's also heard on this gig and there's a choir too. Very tasty stuff!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

It turned out that I was correct to within 24 hours that "probably by the time I actually have money for a Solar42 the second batch will be gone" and that is exactly what happened

also he has a third batch up for preorder and

"July to August delivery" gives me 3-4 months to agonize over whether the dark green was dumb and I should have gotten black :laugh:

Have any other goons actually ordered this silly thing? That order number makes me wonder hardcore how many are in each batch, I feel like it's some number between 50 and 2000.

I also scored a near-mint waterproof 10a Trogotronics 6u84 travel case for 275 shipped.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Have any other goons actually ordered this silly thing?

Yes

Waste of Breath posted:

Put down a pre-order on a synth (joining the middle aged nerd club...)

Black was available right now but yellow is so obviously the play... Now to wait until June. And maybe consider buying a drum machine too. gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfCUgCI-Zl0

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’ll buy one of y’all’s when you’re ready to sell :D

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

I’ll buy one of y’all’s when you’re ready to sell :D

sir this is an investment item :laugh:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Man, I don't need this right now, I'm thinking about finally getting an ER-301...

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

minidracula posted:

Man, I don't need this right now, I'm thinking about finally getting an ER-301...

every time I even start to think down this hole I quickly decide that for me Euroboro is much more reasonable, and then I decide to defer that for another six months.

I know the 301 is a powerhouse and has more CV inputs than Zoia, but, what are the killer features that make an ER-301 seem worth the $1200-1500 they go for these days?

It seems like in 2017 there were not a lot of things with crossover, but now you could do something like Euroboro + 1010bluebox for the same cash more or less and have newer platforms from companies that can still support them....

not that I should be thinking about spending any more money on audio right now. Or video.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfFEw1DEK4g

Sensory Translator is cool, it's a 5-band envelope follower with a couple different toggles for how it triggers and the length of its response. It's an LZX thing so the output is in the 0-1v range and the intended use is tying music or speech/etc to visual synthesis by patching the different band outs.

The two noises here are a unicorn kick that is reliably triggering the lowest band, and then a scritching sound from e352 woggling.

This is generally an interesting idea to me, video aside. The only other followers I have are on the bArp, and Befaco I-4, and Disting.

I now understand the general appeal of Buchla 296t and all the descendant expensive, chunky, multi-band followers. Tiptop's 296t has lovely faders as expected; I guess Fumana and ADDAC601 are the other main choices? Interesting trifecta there; the Addac is half the cost of the Fumana, it seems like the Buchla is sort of awkwardly priced in between. The Addac seems like the utility choice, the others probably mostly end up racked alongside other Tiptop Buchla/Frap stuff, is my guess.

Reading more about this caused me to realize that E520 has selectable waveforms based on envelope followers on the inputs, I need to go gently caress with that

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 21, 2024

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Dear MEDO backers,

Thank you for your support. We are synchronizing the latest progress, and the current stage functions have been implemented (except for the gyroscope function (expected 4.20))

Optimization content at this stage:
1. The entire system framework is currently being optimized;

2. The host lighting interaction is being optimized to ensure smooth interaction experience and user-friendliness;

If there is any latest progress, we will also synchronize it as soon as possible.

:laugh:

"expected 4/20"

maybe they meant delivery in december of 2024

I bet I'll have an EltaMusic Solar42 in hand before I touch a Medo :laugh:

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Hey thread, I'm a novice looking to get into synthesizers and simple music composition. Looking over this thread and reddit, I'm thinking maybe the thing that makes most sense is to buy a MIDI keyboard and play around with software synths while I'm learning, and then if I stick with it eventually grab like a synthesizer module to go with it. Just wondering if that sounds like a good plan, or are there advantages of getting a keyboard+synth combination from the get go (the KORG Minilogue XD gets recommended a lot on reddit, but I'd ideally like to make sure this hobby will stick before dropping $600-$700---I also like the idea of a slightly more portable keyboard that doesn't have the synth attached, but that's not too strong a preference).

And if that does sound sensible, can someone recommend me a good MIDI keyboard (like $100-$200 or so?). Or, alternatively, what things I should be considering when looking for a keyboard. I know for a synthesizer I'll want things like polyphonic and an 8-step sequencer, but I'm not sure what things I should look for in a MIDI keyboard (49 Keys? Fewer?).

Apologies for the relatively basic question. I really love the sound of synthesizers and would love to play around and make some music.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is a great plan. I have an Arturia Minilab controller that I like but you might be better off figuring out what DAW software you want to use and then look for something designed for compatibility with that. The difference between an expensive midi controller and a cheap one is less than you think at the beginner level so don’t overthink it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you get a synth you will play it more and it will be more immediate and fun than dicking around with software. otoh you can get a used midi controller for 20 or 30 bucks, reaper is cheap, surge synth is free and you can be rocking a totally pro setup.

playing is fun, but it's also possible to compose and assemble stuff with a mouse and a daw.

if you want keys to mess around with, don't sweat the details, just go for what's cheap and available. you're not going to need after touch or weighted keys, a few knobs might be nice to map to the parameters of your soft synths so that you can experience that magic of filter sweeps, more keys are cool, but that's a tradeoff with size. the yamaha cbx-k1 is still my goto controller after 20+ years because it's so small, but I can't play keys for poo poo and do not care, so my preference is largely dictated by what I usually use it for

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Neurostorm posted:

Hey thread, I'm a novice looking to get into synthesizers and simple music composition. Looking over this thread and reddit, I'm thinking maybe the thing that makes most sense is to buy a MIDI keyboard and play around with software synths while I'm learning, and then if I stick with it eventually grab like a synthesizer module to go with it. Just wondering if that sounds like a good plan, or are there advantages of getting a keyboard+synth combination from the get go (the KORG Minilogue XD gets recommended a lot on reddit, but I'd ideally like to make sure this hobby will stick before dropping $600-$700---I also like the idea of a slightly more portable keyboard that doesn't have the synth attached, but that's not too strong a preference).

And if that does sound sensible, can someone recommend me a good MIDI keyboard (like $100-$200 or so?). Or, alternatively, what things I should be considering when looking for a keyboard. I know for a synthesizer I'll want things like polyphonic and an 8-step sequencer, but I'm not sure what things I should look for in a MIDI keyboard (49 Keys? Fewer?).

Apologies for the relatively basic question. I really love the sound of synthesizers and would love to play around and make some music.
Starting out with a midi keyboard and soft synths seems like a low cost way to dip your toes in, before buying a chunk of hardware you're not certain you really want.
I don't have much keyboard experience myself, to tell you what's better than others, sorry.

What I eventually bumbledclutzed my way into is using synths without a keyboard.

There's a loooot to learn about synthesis, aside from touching the music theory side of things, if you're just starting out from zero, and playing around with free options while you get the basics down would probably set you up to better know what you want and why you want it when looking at hardware.

I highly recommend this playlist to get started with vcv rack for free, no midi keyboard needed.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcaEIjiwaCmTpG7i5Gm5jro0M6kXtl-zt&si=bAON7S2HAxfEIxMV

Also, give beepbox.co a whirl.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one thing about soft synths is that you'll need a low latency audio interface. berhinger makes cheap bare bones ones for $30

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Neurostorm posted:

Hey thread, I'm a novice looking to get into synthesizers and simple music composition. Looking over this thread and reddit, I'm thinking maybe the thing that makes most sense is to buy a MIDI keyboard and play around with software synths while I'm learning, and then if I stick with it eventually grab like a synthesizer module to go with it. J

this seems like a really reasonable way to approach making electronic music but have you considered spending thousands of dollars on eurorack modules instead? It's a great way to clean out your closests of anything that might have resale value, or have reason to steal the neighbor's copper pipes out of their walls when they are vacationing. No one ever did that to afford a pigments license.

Seriously: choosing a DAW and learning that first and foremost is great advice. You have a bunch of options there, I thought Studio One was great for the price and easy to approach and fine for a year or two until I wanted a Max8 license badly enough to get Ableton as well. Bigwig and Reaper are also well-loved, less expensive options (I think Reaper is ostensibly $1/month, Bigwig is a couple hundred bucks maybe with a 30 day trial, the lower tier versions of studio one are fifty or sixty bucks afaik).

Being comfortable with a DAW might inform your controller choice; I got a Nektar88 originally because it had real good studio one support. It does not have great Ableton control surface support so it sits in the corner.

I mostly use a LaunchControl mixer and Launchpad weird button board controller now, but if you know how to actually play the piano then a normal keybed makes sense. I've given up on that dream, life is too short to learn everything.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 23, 2024

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I followed a similar line of thought (am now in the hard synth acquiring phase).

I got a couple controllers I didn’t like and eventually ended up with a Nektar T6. It has better aftertouch than any others I found in that price range and you can assign your soft synth controls to the encoders and faders on the Nektar. However it also comes set up already with bindings for stuff like Diva, but it’s easy to assign controls manually.

Speaking of which, Uhe Diva and Repro 5 were the soft synths that helped me the most. They are “virtual analog” as people like say - Diva has a number of analog emulations and Repro 5 is a Prophet 5 emulation. I ended up using g the latter much more which eventually led to my first hard synth choice being the Pro 800. Repro 1 is good as well but Diva and Repro 5 are polyphonic while 1 is monophonic (based on Prophet 1). You can do a lot with them but they are also simple enough that they are good starting from scratch with subtractive synthesis.

Whatever controller you get I would make sure they have a good return policy. It’s easy to not get what you want. If the Nektar T6 seems good to you but too much money they make smaller versions which cost less.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on my journey of "start with software and see how it goes" the keystep 37 and korg nanokey studio are good options that give a little taste of everything. Have fun learning midi routing, hope you aren't using windows!

But don't kid yourself that software is a bargain. It's cheaper than hardware for sure but once you get into tone chasing and searching for how people accomplish sounds you're gonna get herded towards a fairly expensive collection of popular synths. Do your best to stick to the free stuff.. there is a LOT out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Neurostorm posted:

Get an audio interface. Even with a hardware synth you want something you can record audio with.

Get a keyboard with a proper 5-pin MIDI out. Now you can buy rack and desktop modules and control them remotely.

If you still need to learn how to play - 61 keys (5 octaves). 4 (49 keys) is cramped. A Novation Launchkey is fine.

Then, get Surge. https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/ It can run in standalone mode.

The DAW doesn’t matter, but Ableton Live has a ton of tutorials. Reaper too, FL Studio as well, but quality may vary with all of them.

Everyone will recommend their favorite DAW to you but you have to try and see which expects you to compose in the way you want - layer by layer, or loop by loop.

With a Minilogue the first thing you bump into is polyphony - only 4 voices. The second you bump into is multitimbrality (or lack thereof). This means that if you record a melody as MIDI and want to layer another on top, you can’t - switching the sound switches also the previous sound along.

A looper pedal can solve this, so can a sampler, but those cost more and do one thing.

Going from software to hardware is a sensible route especially if you aren’t sure if you will like it. On the other hand, buy the Minilogue XD secondhand and if it’s not your thing you won’t lose too much money.