Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks everyone for these amazing replies! This is all incredibly helpful. I'll start looking into DAWs -- I guess I'll start trying out the trials of ableton, garage band (which can upgrade into logic pro?), and reaper. And I'll download surge and repro 5 as well.

As for the controller, of all the ones posted I think the keystep 37 looks like it checks the most boxes of what I'm looking for -- decent number of keys, compact (while still being within budget), seems to work well with different DAWs, fits within budget. I think I can get it from a place that has a 45 day return policy and make sure it plays nicely with whichever DAW I end up going on. I did make the mistake of looking at opinions of it on reddit, which were mostly positive but several people saying to just get the keystep pro instead, which is more than double the price at $500 -- I'm guessing that's not worth it to start given my relative inexperience and desire to save money right?

xzzy posted:

But don't kid yourself that software is a bargain. It's cheaper than hardware for sure but once you get into tone chasing and searching for how people accomplish sounds you're gonna get herded towards a fairly expensive collection of popular synths. Do your best to stick to the free stuff.. there is a LOT out there.
Yeah this seems like a good thing to keep in mind. Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean cheap, and the more free stuff I can use the easier it'll be on my wallet.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this seems like a really reasonable way to approach making electronic music but have you considered spending thousands of dollars on eurorack modules instead? It's a great way to clean out your closests of anything that might have resale value, or have reason to steal the neighbor's copper pipes out of their walls when they are vacationing. No one ever did that to afford a pigments license.

lmao I was quite intrigued by people posting that solar42. Perhaps in a few years I'll be ready to drop irresponsible amounts of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Not sure how much keyboard/piano you know but when I got my synth I didn't know much. One thing I think I'd have liked to have earlier (but not necessarily straight away!) was the scaler2 plugin/vst. It's a really handy music theory plugin which will highlight different scale options.

For example I got to a point where I could stick 3 chords together on guitar or keyboard pretty easily but then I'd be stuck trying to expand things. It can do more stuff (play arpeggios and just outright give you professions etc) but I find it really useful just for immediately answering the question of "what would be another chord to add or scale to use?" without having to break out of the flow too much.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

mudskipp posted:

Not sure how much keyboard/piano you know but when I got my synth I didn't know much. One thing I think I'd have liked to have earlier (but not necessarily straight away!) was the scaler2 plugin/vst. It's a really handy music theory plugin which will highlight different scale options.

For example I got to a point where I could stick 3 chords together on guitar or keyboard pretty easily but then I'd be stuck trying to expand things. It can do more stuff (play arpeggios and just outright give you professions etc) but I find it really useful just for immediately answering the question of "what would be another chord to add or scale to use?" without having to break out of the flow too much.
Oh that sounds neat.

I'm more of the contrarian, no keys, only faders and knobs on the midi controller sort.

Lord loves a sequencer.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

B33rChiller posted:

Oh that sounds neat.

I'm more of the contrarian, no keys, only faders and knobs on the midi controller sort.

Lord loves a sequencer.

Sounds like you want a Launch Control XL.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
No he wants a Koma Komplex

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

No he wants a Koma Komplex

Now I do.
But, uggghh. Midi. Why you need a midi?
I just jammed this out on this rig

With vcv, I use a nanokontrol2. Small, got faders and dials, fits in the laptop bag easy.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Neurostorm posted:

Thanks everyone for these amazing replies! This is all incredibly helpful. I'll start looking into DAWs -- I guess I'll start trying out the trials of ableton, garage band (which can upgrade into logic pro?), and reaper. And I'll download surge and repro 5 as well.

As for the controller, of all the ones posted I think the keystep 37 looks like it checks the most boxes of what I'm looking for -- decent number of keys, compact (while still being within budget), seems to work well with different DAWs, fits within budget. I think I can get it from a place that has a 45 day return policy and make sure it plays nicely with whichever DAW I end up going on. I did make the mistake of looking at opinions of it on reddit, which were mostly positive but several people saying to just get the keystep pro instead, which is more than double the price at $500 -- I'm guessing that's not worth it to start given my relative inexperience and desire to save money right?

I'm a big fan of arturia stuff, their controllers, synths and plugins are really great. The keystep 37 is a nice little controller although it might be limited for working with softsynths and DAWs. The thing about the keystep series is that they are primarily hardware midi controllers. People mostly use them with hardware synths and eurorack setups since they have CV outs and fairly robust arpeggiators and sequencers. Like, the keystep pro has multiple lanes of sequencers to handle multiple pieces of gear or eurorack modules, which is not something you usually need with softsynths and DAWs. I don't want to talk you out of the keystep 37 if it looks like that will work for you but you might also look at the keylab series that arturia makes since those have more mappable controls for DAW setups. DAW controllers like the keylab usually lack the sequencers though, so its a trade off if you want a MIDI controller for hardware and software. Speaking of arturia, look into Pigments if you are doing softsynths. Its an extremely powerful synthesizer engine and it regularly goes on sale. And as crazy and complicated as it looks, its actually a really good visual tool for learning how synthesis works.

One thing to keep in mind when getting into this stuff is that a ton of the synth community gets really focused around gear and tools. Gear is very cool but its important to keep in mind your basic musical goals as well, i.e. what kind of music do you like and what kind do you want to make? What artists inspire you? What genres are you in to? Or do you just want to noodle around and make cool little impromptu jams? GAS is very real (ask me how I know...) so its a good idea to think about what you want to do with this stuff before spending a poo poo ton of money chasing cool hardware. This is just general advice for getting into any musical hobby but often gets overlooked when it comes to synths.

Also, this is borderline blasphemy and/or a running joke in the synth sphere but learning some basic music theory and composition is extremely helpful. You will have a much better time making music if you know what a scale is, why some chords work and others don't, what time signatures are, etc. Its very tempting to just let quantizers and sequencers handle all of it but knowing the "rules" and how to creatively break them often makes more interesting music. Better to learn it early rather than later.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

RedMeansRecording decided he didn't want the J&OT Traffic module after he did a video on it, so I bought it off him. If you have a macrooscillator like Plaits, this thing is absolutely mindblowing - it's exactly what you need to turn a module like that into its own self-contained drum machine. It has three trigger inputs, which trigger three CV outputs that change with the different triggers, plus a master trigger output, so one macrooscillator can easily be turned into three different voices with it. It's pretty much designed to be used with Plaits, but it also works well with other modules like Basimilus Iteritas Alter; I've especially grown to love using it with my Befaco Noise Plethora plus a LPG. :q: The only one I have trouble using it with is the Erica Pico Drum 2, which acts wonky and inconsistent when shifting modes with it. Otherwise, though, this thing loving rules.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best RMR idea I got recently is filling every hole on plaits with sequencers. It is so dang fun and makes it super playable.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

Now I do.

You don't, there's CV for everything :)

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I'm a big fan of arturia stuff, their controllers, synths and plugins are really great. The keystep 37 is a nice little controller although it might be limited for working with softsynths and DAWs. The thing about the keystep series is that they are primarily hardware midi controllers. People mostly use them with hardware synths and eurorack setups since they have CV outs and fairly robust arpeggiators and sequencers. Like, the keystep pro has multiple lanes of sequencers to handle multiple pieces of gear or eurorack modules, which is not something you usually need with softsynths and DAWs. I don't want to talk you out of the keystep 37 if it looks like that will work for you but you might also look at the keylab series that arturia makes since those have more mappable controls for DAW setups. DAW controllers like the keylab usually lack the sequencers though, so its a trade off if you want a MIDI controller for hardware and software. Speaking of arturia, look into Pigments if you are doing softsynths. Its an extremely powerful synthesizer engine and it regularly goes on sale. And as crazy and complicated as it looks, its actually a really good visual tool for learning how synthesis works.

One thing to keep in mind when getting into this stuff is that a ton of the synth community gets really focused around gear and tools. Gear is very cool but its important to keep in mind your basic musical goals as well, i.e. what kind of music do you like and what kind do you want to make? What artists inspire you? What genres are you in to? Or do you just want to noodle around and make cool little impromptu jams? GAS is very real (ask me how I know...) so its a good idea to think about what you want to do with this stuff before spending a poo poo ton of money chasing cool hardware. This is just general advice for getting into any musical hobby but often gets overlooked when it comes to synths.

Also, this is borderline blasphemy and/or a running joke in the synth sphere but learning some basic music theory and composition is extremely helpful. You will have a much better time making music if you know what a scale is, why some chords work and others don't, what time signatures are, etc. Its very tempting to just let quantizers and sequencers handle all of it but knowing the "rules" and how to creatively break them often makes more interesting music. Better to learn it early rather than later.

Thanks for all of this. The keylab 49 does look enticing (and is only $220). I do really like the utility of sequencers and arpeggiators, though, and I'm slowly talking myself into splurging on a keystep pro for the extra functionality with those (and so if I do end up getting some hardware it'll be easy to add to it). I do think I would want some sequencer support if I do make the jump to hardware. So I guess the question is whether it's better to get something that will make learning with software synths easier, or get something that ends up being better if I do decide to make the jump to hardware. I guess since I'm not really a musician at all maybe it makes sense to get the cheaper keylab and just learn on that, and then later if I go hardware I can spend more money later (though I do also like the smaller footprint of the keystep 37).

It's a touch embarrassing but I'd say the stuff that I'd love to make is SNES/PS1-era video game music, which seems like most standard systems can totally do, and shouldn't require too terribly much more hardware? I also do love the idea of just noodling around making impromptu jams, and perhaps that would be easier with the keystep 37 or pro?

And yeah -- I actually took a music theory class way back in high school. I don't really remember much of it, but it would probably come back to me somewhat quickly. Are there any good music theory youtube series that people recommend?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you want to make snes music, get a casio. newer top shelf consumer ones will have usb. you can plug it right into your computer and sequence away

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Neurostorm posted:

It's a touch embarrassing but I'd say the stuff that I'd love to make is SNES/PS1-era video game music, which seems like most standard systems can totally do, and shouldn't require too terribly much more hardware? I also do love the idea of just noodling around making impromptu jams, and perhaps that would be easier with the keystep 37 or pro?

If you want to get directly to the SNES sound, you might want to look at samplers with soundfont support, since people have packaged a lot of SNES instruments into that format - Plogue has the free Sforzando player which should work in most DAWs. Plogue also has Chipsynth SFC which is a paid plugin, but offers plenty of presets out of the box.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Neurostorm posted:

Thanks for all of this. The keylab 49 does look enticing (and is only $220). I do really like the utility of sequencers and arpeggiators, though, and I'm slowly talking myself into splurging on a keystep pro for the extra functionality with those (and so if I do end up getting some hardware it'll be easy to add to it). I do think I would want some sequencer support if I do make the jump to hardware. So I guess the question is whether it's better to get something that will make learning with software synths easier, or get something that ends up being better if I do decide to make the jump to hardware. I guess since I'm not really a musician at all maybe it makes sense to get the cheaper keylab and just learn on that, and then later if I go hardware I can spend more money later (though I do also like the smaller footprint of the keystep 37).

And yeah -- I actually took a music theory class way back in high school. I don't really remember much of it, but it would probably come back to me somewhat quickly. Are there any good music theory youtube series that people recommend?

Yeah, I don't know much about the video game music thing but I do know there's lots of people really into it and there should be a bunch of specialized stuff you can get into around that. You'll still want the basic stuff like DAW and controller and maybe an interface if you get into hardware.

This is a fantastic intro to basic music theory in 30 minutes. Really straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgaTLrZGlk0

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

VirtualMIDISynth can do a lot of SNES and PSX style stuff.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

B33rChiller posted:

people asking questions already answered by my shirt!!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Neurostorm posted:

~snip~ Are there any good music theory youtube series that people recommend?
I've found these videos useful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VvKeiwddPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWorjBDcty4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgaTLrZGlk0

Cabbages and Kings posted:

people asking questions already answered by my shirt!!

Ha! Amazing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

also if you're into making PSX style music you should definitely watch these videos if you haven't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTkOUjayW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7UdaiTI8pI

there's a few more like them but i don't wanna overwhelm you with homework lol

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If anyone has a few minutes, I’d appreciate some feedback on this https://soundcloud.com/theaudiodump/serendipity since it’s the first time having worked on something start to finish in Logic, which is still fairly new to me, but also the first time using hardware synths.

I’m also a bit unsure because I had planned on adding a couple more things, but I got sick and had to take a week off from it. Coming back to it tonight my original ideas to finish it were gone, though luckily the meat of it is there. So wondering if there’s any issues keeping interest though the track, but also more basic technical stuff like if the patches interact ok, if the mix is bad (maybe the biggest concern) etc.

The ostinato, melody and extra bass during the chorus were done on Behringer Pro 800, the main bass was with a K2 (MS 20 clone) but the drums I programmed with Logic sounds (I do want to make and sample my own drums though). Made the patches from scratch, which was really fun but for some reason it felt harder to get them to work together compared to when I would just use plugins (mostly Repro 5). But I don’t know, coming back to it after a week away is strange because I’ll usually chug away at something until it’s finished, and I’m not even sure now what else I would have added had I not got sick.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

maybe i just played too much stardew valley this weekend but i spent the duration of that song fishing by a lake on a tranquil alien planet under a gorgeous night sky. good poo poo

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Nothing to add but appreciation, really. Well done, sounds good to me. Print it!

Eta: joke response. It's lacking a noise floor. Needs to hum, hiss and crackle at -15db for that authentic "no idea wtf I'm doing, but having fun" sound.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 25, 2024

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thank you both! Good to know so I can move on to something new.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't wish to alarm anyone but at some point NI made it so you can resize the Kontakt 7 GUI so now anyone working above 1080p can actually see what they are doing!

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
So after buying a v1 Grendel Drone Commander I think my GAS has come to a crossroads. I'm either going to have to hunt down 3-4 more in the colours I don't have or give up.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

rio posted:

If anyone has a few minutes, I’d appreciate some feedback on this https://soundcloud.com/theaudiodump/serendipity since it’s the first time having worked on something start to finish in Logic, which is still fairly new to me, but also the first time using hardware synths.

It sounds really nice - thanks for sharing. I like the added harmony on the ascending melody line as it repeats.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was thinking of getting a third hard synth (because I have come to terms with being an addict now that the doors are open) and am wondering about using a Y adapter into an interface. Assuming the balance is ok between two mono synths, is there a down side (mostly wondering about fidelity or any negative effect one synth would have on the other) to running two quarter inch outs into one quarter inch input of a MOTU MU? Currently I have the Pro 800 in input 1 and the K2 in input 2 (both are mono) and was thinking of getting a TD-3 because they are cheap as gently caress and it would free up the K2 for leads or arps instead of making it do bass. And I already have a quarter inch Y splitter I keep in my guitar case for emergencies. However if I do justify this I might just get a Model D…

I would likely bounce them both to separate tracks for effects and mixing when doing an actual recording but mainly I’m wondering if for previewing and setting up patches, would there be any issues having two mono synths run into the same audio input? I know a mixer is the real answer but right now that’s just too dangerous to have so many inputs unused and wanting synths for each on a mixer.

E: thank you havelock!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Y cables do not work that way.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Omri Cohen took a stab at recreating the Solar 42 in VCV Rack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ebGLr7lf7M

rio
Mar 20, 2008

tylertfb posted:

Y cables do not work that way.

I was wondering because when I used to teach in a spot with only one amp I used the Y connector (two female into one male) so I could plug both guitars into one amp if it only had one input. Sometimes one of our volumes would affect the other, or same with the tone knob but it was an ok solution that I would never use live but handy for lessons and did essentially let two sound sources be plugged into one input.

I was wondering if I could do the same with synths into an interface, since like the guitars it’s just two mono outs but just typing this now realized I can just try this with the two synths I have and see what happens.

E: just heard of making an “aggregate device” on Mac, which lets multiple interfaces be used together and I have an old unused interface so this might be the easiest way to do it. Would net me two more inputs but will have to see what the down sides are.

rio fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 26, 2024

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Just get a mixer

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Just get a mixer

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or a bigger interface with more inputs!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It does look like there are some pretty cheap mixers with acceptable noise floors. I’m hesitant to get another interface because this MOTU M2 is less than a year old and I do really like it. But I think I’m going to hold off for now because I was thinking if I was going to get a TD2 then why not just get a Model D, and then thinking maybe I should get a Pro 1 instead because I’ve really wanted to pair that with the Pro 800, and honestly if I keep worrying about getting another synth it’s going to keep me from writing more music. If I had the space and the inputs I would probably have ordered one already (one reason the TD2 was enticing to begin with was because I am pretty maxed on space, and it’s a bit smaller).

It would be really sweet to get that three unit rack though and load it up with the Pro 1, 800 and K2. I think synth GAS is somehow worse than guitar GAS ever was for me. Maybe since I just really like hearing them play in real time vs. recording tracks.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

xzzy posted:

if the audio interface has a fiber optic in, it's possible to get a direct in box and hook that up to it

W424
Oct 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Audio interface (with adat ports) if you want to actually record something, mixer is fine for loving around but useless for multitracking.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Some mixers can multitrack

Tascam and sound craft make some nice ones.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

W424 posted:

Audio interface (with adat ports) if you want to actually record something, mixer is fine for loving around but useless for multitracking.

not really true for e.g. 12-24 channel desktop mixers (if you know what you're doing and can make it all the way through a manual)

multitrack recording is not really all its cracked up to be either unless you're trying to skip a daw (but still want stems???) or have a bunch of interns to do poo poo for you. if you're doing anything w/ faders you only have 2 hands. if you're micing live drums then sure but thats not really the purview of this thread

W424
Oct 21, 2010

JamesKPolk posted:

not really true for e.g. 12-24 channel desktop mixers (if you know what you're doing and can make it all the way through a manual)

multitrack recording is not really all its cracked up to be either unless you're trying to skip a daw (but still want stems???) or have a bunch of interns to do poo poo for you. if you're doing anything w/ faders you only have 2 hands. if you're micing live drums then sure but thats not really the purview of this thread

I’m talking about recording a bunch of synths at the same time, into DAW, for processing/editing/mixing. Instead of all the poo poo in a single stereo track, it might be fine ”if you know what you're doing” but I would assume a beginner hasnt spent a decade mixing allready.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

W424 posted:

I’m talking about recording a bunch of synths at the same time, into DAW, for processing/editing/mixing. Instead of all the poo poo in a single stereo track, it might be fine ”if you know what you're doing” but I would assume a beginner hasnt spent a decade mixing allready.

oh no I meant if you know how audio cables work (and I don't mean some occult knowledge here, I'm talking like what part corresponds to signal vs ground) the manual explains how to get direct outs on anything post-CR1604 in very simple terms

that being said unless you know what you're doing recording like that (into a DAW for editing and mixing) is kinda dumb. I don't doubt it's working for you if you're making posts recommending it to people, but I would tell you that there's better workflows out there if you take the time to learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2U0q4lZiFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RrsiGmLp_E