Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's confusing as hell, that's what it is. I recently replaced an amplifier in my stereo setup and apparently over the years I've lost all knowledge of whether tape in/out means connecting the input or the output of the tape deck there or the other way around. Which perspective are we talking about? I think with midi, you connect an out to an in and that's unusual? Never mind a device that's both a mixer and an audio interface. Does the computer count as a separate thing? Etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If it's primarily a mixer then I think it's safe-ish to assume that any "in" and "out" labeling are from the mixer's perspective (tape in would be a feed from an external source fed into those inputs on the mixer). Until suddenly you have some weirdo mixer from the late 80s where some company was trying something different for inscrutable reasons, then all bets are off. There never stops being points of confusion, no matter how long you do audio poo poo, you just get better at reading manuals.

The truly infuriating one is that nobody in the mixer design world can agree on whether channels should have an LED that illuminates when the channel is unmuted (active, light on!) or muted (no sound, light on!). Yamaha might be the only real outlier left in that regard when it comes to new mixers, but it's very annoying with how common their boards are in the live audio world.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for the clarification. I did end up finding a video of someone who explicitly showed it connected to a daw and 8 inputs in the settings.

It’s a tough call because like you said more inputs are always good. I think it’s funny now that when I was getting an interface I thought two channels would definitely be enough, but I was only using soft synths then. But 4 tracks for the drums, and two for each of my hardware synths means just one stereo signal would max out 8, and I can’t pretend anymore than I’m not going to pick up more hardware.

The main thing that’s appealing with the R16 though is the fact it is a self contained multi track recorder. I imagine at some point I would want to go out of the box, and if it can be an interface and a multitrack recorder (even battery powered if I needed to do some field recording) it is tempting.

I’ll have to think about it and research more. I found an old Behringer 2 input interface that I basically bought and never used, and saw that on Mac you can build an aggregate interface with multiple audio interfaces running at the same time. So if that works, I could have 4 inputs between that and my current interface. Not enough to leave everything plugged in, but enough that I could track the drums without recording each part separately.

E: regarding in/out nomenclature, I *think* the only thing that seems backwards is midi and everything else shares the same labeling. Midi out meaning it is going out through that so it should be connected to the “in” and anything midi is labeled according to the direction of the piece of hardware/cable you use.

rio fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 14, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MockingQuantum posted:

The truly infuriating one is that nobody in the mixer design world can agree on whether channels should have an LED that illuminates when the channel is unmuted (active, light on!) or muted (no sound, light on!).

programmable rgbz, plz

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
drumbrute supply is thin enough I sorta wonder if it'll get TB3'd at some point, and also, what other random not very expensive thing will be next to triple.

I happily would buy an aira TB3 for ~$200 but like many other people the main reason it's even on my radar is Audiopilz, and over the last month or two I've watched them climb from ~ $350 (already too much for me, probably) to

loving lol. those are the only 3 on reverb. (These were MSRP $299 in 2014, I believe).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the TB-3 is... fine. roland sells the S-1 for like $200 brand new tho I would much rather have one of those

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Only reason I can see those be so expensive is because Bad Gear uses it? It's not worth that much

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

net work error posted:

Only reason I can see those be so expensive is because Bad Gear uses it? It's not worth that much

more specifically that he unironically loves it and made a video recently about how good it is. i think benn jordan talked about it being pretty great as well a while ago

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i've gotta say tho, the TB3 getting a lukewarm to negative response when it launched and then eventually getting a cult following and becoming way too expensive on the used market is extremely funny

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

watho posted:

i've gotta say tho, the TB3 getting a lukewarm to negative response when it launched and then eventually getting a cult following and becoming way too expensive on the used market is extremely funny

It’s poetry, it rhymes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

watho posted:

That's kind of standard for out of production music gear though. Just look what happened to the bad monkey last year when that one YouTuber gave it a good review.

But that's just one example. Some ignored hunk of junk gets the right person to make something cool with it and suddenly people are trying to hawk them for a fortune.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

xzzy posted:

Just look what happened to the bad monkey last year when that one YouTuber gave it a good review.

That's kind of its own thing though. Josh Scott has a history of reviewing old pedals on his show that spike in price, so resellers kind of lurk around to see what he's going to talk about next and then immediately put them up on reverb at insane prices. Its kind of a self fulfilling prophecy at this point. It happens with other gear influencers too but JHS is on some other level. I think the Bad Monkey thing was even something of a joke to prove the point iirc

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

That's kind of standard for out of production music gear though. Just look what happened to the bad monkey last year when that one YouTuber gave it a good review.

But that's just one example. Some ignored hunk of junk gets the right person to make something cool with it and suddenly people are trying to hawk them for a fortune.

Behringer should just clone it

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The tb-03 is a cooler little box :colbert:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

watho posted:

more specifically that he unironically loves it and made a video recently about how good it is. i think benn jordan talked about it being pretty great as well a while ago

He literally uses it in every demo of bad gear, that, some species of elektron, his drumbrute and a random pedal effect. It's a great way of showing off what it can do besides acid loops.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What about that nasty looking m-audio keyboard he always uses. Silver and yellowed keys ain't a good look but if it works it works I guess.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

the show is not called "good gear" :laugh:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the show is not called "good gear" :laugh:

checkmate, atheists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FLkbxTs27I

watho
Aug 2, 2013

also the JHS bad monkey thing wasn't exactly a "joke" he was being sincere about it being a pedal you could make sound just as good as an insanely expensive one. however the point that people missed was that you can make great sounds with whatever cheap pedals you can get your hands on but people of course took it that the bad monkey was this super special hidden gem

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had a bad monkey for 10+ years and it is just a fantastic budget overdrive. I can't make any claims it punches above its weight because I refuse to get into the botique petal black hole but it does produce an extremely nice saturation that isn't too over the top.

And as for "bad gear" I figure we all know it's never been actually bad gear. He's repeatedly proven that it's all very good gear and demonstrated that the issue is hardware nerds are all tribe forming monkeys.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thesis is that someone good at music can make a catchy tune on anything. I'm bad a music tho so I need expensive stuff.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

withak posted:

Thesis is that someone good at music can make a catchy tune on anything. I'm bad a music tho so I need expensive stuff.

i know several bands built around that explicit thesis and they've made some just loving incredible music. the standout example being:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNB30UnOiBA

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

And as for "bad gear" I figure we all know it's never been actually bad gear. He's repeatedly proven that it's all very good gear and demonstrated that the issue is hardware nerds are all tribe forming monkeys.

i can't quite accept that it's all good gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGInaTkRsk4

if you just take the summary at face value I think he's pretty even handed, and obviously a talented musician can make good music with a Timbre Wolf, but at the $300 these things still command there's just so many options for fundamentally more flexible things. I see an Opsix for within fifty bucks of these. I think he's all over the map, in terms of making fun of loved things that deserve to be hated sometimes, hated things that perhaps could use some more love, and everything else in that venn diagram.

e: I was semi-considering the drum machine cat thing that goes along with the wolf. But it's cheaper and I think also generally somewhat less terrible, depending on what you want it for; it still seemed like a worse option to me than a Drumbrute, but would have been 33% cheaper.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 15, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

if you just take the summary at face value I think he's pretty even handed, and obviously a talented musician can make good music with a Timbre Wolf, but at the $300 these things still command there's just so many options for fundamentally more flexible things. I see an Opsix for within fifty bucks of these. I think he's all over the map, in terms of making fun of loved things that deserve to be hated sometimes, hated things that perhaps could use some more love, and everything else in that venn diagram.

Definitely not an all time great synth but like he says at the end.. it's a good audio source for feeding through effects. I could see someone doing something great with it, given enough money burned on additional gear.

Are there better options? Absolutely but people gladly pay more than $300 for a four waveform oscillator in eurorack. And this one comes with a keyboard and sequencer! :angel:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Without disagreeing, "sounds good through effects" is a low bar; the Chipz oscillator I constantly mock sounds totally reasonable in a few sweet spots if it goes through Hyperion, or free Valhalla VST DSP.

I think if a thing has some utility, but offers little to no unique functionality and is priced in a range which includes a spectrum of other things that possess a substantially expanded set of functionality, it's fine to call it "not good".

I'm also on some level convinced that attempting to die on this hill is going to lead to me eventually owning a Timbre Wolf.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

watho posted:

also the JHS bad monkey thing wasn't exactly a "joke" he was being sincere about it being a pedal you could make sound just as good as an insanely expensive one. however the point that people missed was that you can make great sounds with whatever cheap pedals you can get your hands on but people of course took it that the bad monkey was this super special hidden gem

Yeah, maybe "joke" wasn't the right word, more like a demonstration of how absurd the gearfluencer system is.

Bad Gear does actually cover legit bad gear sometimes. He did an ep on the TE wooden dolls and he really didn't like that new yamaha op-z knockoff. Here's hoping he gets his hands on a Vongan Replay...

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I recall a chat with Nick Batt, not too long ago where Florian mentions this remains the worst gear he has covered so far.

ETA, in addition to the seeming serious musician / hobby gear fetishist dichotomy,
there's probably some folks who just like to watch synth tube videos / talk about gear, rather than do anything with it.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 15, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Bad Gear does actually cover legit bad gear sometimes. He did an ep on the TE wooden dolls and he really didn't like that new yamaha op-z knockoff. Here's hoping he gets his hands on a Vongan Replay...

the wooden dolls should be on their own segment, "comically overpriced quote-unquote-gear"

I thought it was conceptually cool and at like 10% the price point would be silly fun.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

the wooden dolls should be on their own segment, "comically overpriced quote-unquote-gear"

I thought it was conceptually cool and at like 10% the price point would be silly fun.

If Uli knocked them off, I might consider a small creep choir.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

behringer aggressively going after TE would be funny as poo poo and win-win for everyone

Bro-p1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Behringer selling TE furniture at Behringer prices will only piss off Ikea.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Looking at interfaces and prices the past few days I finally made a decision.

Buy a Microfreak. I’m very excited and it will be here tomorrow; hail Satan.

Aggregate interface device seems to work just fine so I might just slum marketplace/craigslist for dirt cheap interfaces and add them to the aggregate for now. 4 inputs with the current aggregate means I can have the single sum out from the drumbrute as well as Pro 800, K2 and Microfreak all running together and then track out the individual drum tracks when it’s done to finalize with individual effects.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
You can get a two input Scarlett solo 3rd gen for like $70 used

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

YEE HAW I GOT A DRUM MACHINE AND THIS IS VERY FUN AND LOUD IN HERE NOW

*sidechaining intensifies*

* buying of ES-9 expanders so that Drumbrute can consume 12 ES-9 ins, is considered *

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

You could roll your own drum machine. Grids, some drum modules, a mixer, and a multifx module if you're feeling spicy. Mine has grids, 3 drum modules, a comb filter, multimode filter, a bernoulli gate, couple of clock dividers,Erica drum mixer with onboard compression and an extra Euclidean sequencer. Patch it up and twist knobs to get baking that fun on a bun.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

e: but actually that setup you described sounds kind of sick

MSPain fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 16, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

You could roll your own drum machine. Grids, some drum modules, a mixer, and a multifx module if you're feeling spicy. Mine has grids, 3 drum modules, a comb filter, multimode filter, a bernoulli gate, couple of clock dividers,Erica drum mixer with onboard compression and an extra Euclidean sequencer. Patch it up and twist knobs to get baking that fun on a bun.
I've done similar stuff using either QD or M32+Mavis+Uniboom as drums, then sidechaining with Boom itself or the compressor on Disting, and then sequencing with:
* marbles or pams or tempi or some mix thereof

And sending it through mimeophon or w/e

MSPain posted:

it is incredibly fun but also if it's not patched and ready to go and I just want a nice boom-hiss metronome to play sax against or patch against, the immediacy of drumbrute is great.

I think the thing to do is to have all these options available. A normal person would have started with a drum machine. I sold an Elektribe I barely understood as part of my descent into euro madness. If I still had it, I think I'd be putting it to much better use, but I like the drumbrute better.

cost isn't too much of an issue, since I think what b33rchiller just described can be set up in VCV pretty easily. On the other hand:
Drumbrute (used): $300ish
Drumbrute Impact (new): $299
Erika Black Perkons: $1800
VPME.QD + Qex + Pams + Tempi + Disting + Illyana + patch cables + small powered rack = $2000

QD, to be fair to it, is highly abusable as a wavetable oscillator, 128 sample-per-voice sample player, and has a bunch of super useful functionality hidden under a stupid and questionable UI. None the less, if I was just trying to do drums on $2000, I'd get a Perkons I think :shrug:

edit: if I had a Perkons I'd pay someone to paint the back or the dust cover with a modified logo from the old Perkins restaurant chain

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MSPain posted:

Pre-cooked Pad Thai doesn't have Grids. That's the secret sauce that allows me to not have to program rhythms, just morph and select one, and turn up more or less drums on each channel.

cost isn't too much of an issue, since I think what b33rchiller just described can be set up in VCV pretty easily.

Well, that's a kind of double edged blade right there. I had that setup built in VCV, and enjoyed it so much that I wanted a hardware version when I started getting eurostuff. So I put one together in a cute little knockoff pelican case (regretfully purchased from synthrotek before I learned about the owner) Something like 44hp, with 1u and 3u rows.

VvVv yeah, I guess it is really tuned to a narrow band of use cases. That's a great aspect of modular. You can tailor the machine to your own preferences and how you want to use it.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 16, 2024

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I ended up selling my Grids because it felt like I was constantly trying to dial it in to do poo poo that was just easier to program in like Steppy or something. I'm not a very good drum programmer but at least with the programming I could say "hmmm, I don't like that, what if I moved the snare over here" whereas with algorithmic trigger sequencers who knows what'll happen when you turn a knob. Sometimes thats cool but other times I just want to get the sound I'm hearing in my head. I think I like them better for modulation envelopes than for explicit percussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
programming rhythms is fun! obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU-UsvYbIV0